Best NCL ship for teens?

dritan

Hi

We have just disembarked from the Escape (adult , 15 and 13 year old).

There were some really good aspects to the cruise such as the food, most of the staff ( a few challenges with Entourage Staff) and Choir of Man was a great show. The tendering process was also really smooth.

However, it feels like NCL has a bit of an identity crisis. Deck space for those under 18 is extremely limited, Thank goodness this wasn't a hot weather cruise but the line is branded as family friendly?

Given the time of year there werent many teens on board but alternative options were limited. Any comedy shows from 9pm onwards were adult only, we couldn't go into the District at 7pm one evening to enjoy the pianist due to age restrictions. Other areas such as Spice, Skyline had age restrictions too.

Do any of the more modern ncl ships have fewer restrictions. NCL tend to have good Med itineraries but the ship needs to be more "open". Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, dritan said:

Deck space for those under 18 is extremely limited,

Free-use deck space for all ages on the Escape is the largest of any of the ships in the class.  It's not all in the vicinity of the pool, though.

Any comedy shows from 9pm onwards were adult only

Suggested, but the kids can go if you allow them to.  There's no strict limit but there will certainly be a warning.  At what hour would you suggest they start 18+ comedy shows if 9 is too early?

Other areas such as Spice

This restriction is only until 6 or 7 PM, then it's open to all.

we couldn't go into the District at 7pm one evening to enjoy the pianist due to age restrictions.

Was it a hard restriction with a 'bouncer' at the door flat-out saying 'no' when you tried to go in or was it just listed as a suggested age?

All that said - the ages for venues (Spice, DBH, etc) and the comedy show timings are pretty standard across the ship class.  Other ships in the class have go-karts and laser tag, some also have the Galaxy Pavilion, all of which cost money.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

Deck space for those under 18 is extremely limited,

This seems strange to me. What deck space is limited for under 18, other than Spice until 7:00 pm? I've never been on the Escape.

• Like 1

Just now, IAcruising said:

This seems strange to me. What deck space is limited for under 18, other than Spice until 7:00 pm? I've never been on the Escape.

Spice, Vibe.  That's all I can think of and I was on the ship in March.  1/6 of the top of the ship (everything forward of the pool on the port side) is free to use for everyone, it's just not all next to the pool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dritan said:

Hi

There were some really good aspects to the cruise such as the food, most of the staff ( a few challenges with Entourage Staff) and Choir of Man was a great show. The tendering process was also really smooth.

However, it feels like NCL has a bit of an identity crisis. Deck space for those under 18 is extremely limited, Thank goodness this wasn't a hot weather cruise but the line is branded as family friendly?

Given the time of year there werent many teens on board but alternative options were limited. Any comedy shows from 9pm onwards were adult only, we couldn't go into the District at 7pm one evening to enjoy the pianist due to age restrictions. Other areas such as Spice, Skyline had age restrictions too.

Do any of the more modern ncl ships have fewer restrictions. NCL tend to have good Med itineraries but the ship needs to be more "open". Thanks in advance.

The only place I can think of is the Spice H20. Kids are welcome everywhere else. I do t count the Vibe since only 100 of the 4600 passengers use that space. 

I probably assumed that quite a bit of space at the front was for the Haven, but generally yes the pool area for under 18s is very cramped, as it's stuck between the water slides and the aqua park for younger kids. Son was told by staff to move over to the adjoining hot tub as the one he was in was apparently for adults only. 

As I said, not a big issue on a cold weather cruise but wouldn't be great in the Med.

As regards comedy shows, on other lines the late night show has been 10pm or after. 9pm is a bit early. 

And personally if I read signs stating 18 and over only, I don't tend to take it as a suggestion. I've just not come across this on other lines to the same extent, that's all. Somewhat off putting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dritan said:

Hi

Bliss and Encore have a lot of activities for teens. Ropes course, sports complex, race track and always activities for teen club. Make sure you sign them up for teen club. 

Edited by FlGoodShips
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dritan said:

And personally if I read signs stating 18 and over only, I don't tend to take it as a suggestion. I've just not come across this on other lines to the same extent, that's all. Somewhat off putting.

I'm just here to say thank you for not reading signs like those as a suggestion. I wish more parents would be responsible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Sorry...was mistaken. It does have water slides, arcades, laser tag, ....still lots to do on Bliss. Just sign kids up for Entourage Club. They will have a blast. They will be busy morning to night.

Our last cruise was on the Gem, 5 teens, they all met other teens and had a blast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm just here to say thank you for not reading signs like those as a suggestion. I wish more parents would be responsible.

There are certain places where reading them as "rule" is certainly appreciated - Spice before 7 PM for example.  However - when it comes to the "adult" comedy show I feel like some parental discretion should be allowed, and based on my experience it has been.  I'm not sure what about an event at the DBH would have resulted in an 18+ sign.

On my cruise on the Joy in 2022 there were some grandparents that brought their pre-teen grandson to the 10:00 PM karaoke.  That boy learned some things no kid his age should learn but that event was NOT identified as being for more mature people.  I'll be honest - even I, as a 42 year-old at the time, was a little horrified at the song selection by the group of late-teen people on stage.

I get my son the soda package and the arcade package.  He has to eat breakfast and Dinner with us but mostly he is free to do whatever he wants on the ship.  We give him the "Curfew is at xx:xx, don't increase or decrease the population" speech and that is pretty much it.  He has a blast.

• Haha 3