Any news on the MDR upgrades?

Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

have to agree with you.   I don't feel cruises are any cheaper than they were 6 years ago, but the food has definitely gone down and I think it is deliberate to get you to go to the charged for venues.  

Even if cruises were only the same price as 6 years ago that's incredible with the costs of inflation since then though Jean?

They've not increased in price have they?

But I think people compare stuff they got far longer than 6 years ago tbh. And we all know how expensive cruising would be comparatively in the past.  

43 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I understand what you say and agree with much of it but feel it is more complicated than that due to the nature of P&O's fleet and the diversity of their passenger demographic.

Cruising with P&O can be a pretty cheap holiday if, for instance two of you are travelling and you are happy sailing on the larger ships, especially in an inside cabin. On the other hand, if you wish to cruise on one of the two smaller ships and in a balcony cabin, it's certainly not so cheap. Even more so if you are sailing solo.

Other issues are the age/attitude of their more long-term pax and the fact that some of us who have a long-term history with P&O find the plethora of changes over recent years hard to like.

I personally don't have any real (significant) complaints about the current quality of food on P&O but very much notice the reduced choice for my particular tastes. This is in itself a result of cutbacks in that vegan/vegetarian and low sugar dishes were previously on a separate menu and obviously incorporating them into the main menu will be a cost saving.

I certainly would not welcome additional cost dishes being placed on the mdr menus but appreciate that it may well be attractive to cruisers new to P&O or to those picking up 'cheap' fares on the likes of Arvia & Iona. I also fully appreciate we all have a choice and that's probably why I don't have any cruises booked with P&O at present.

Who do you cruise with where you can get better return for your spend Britboys? Or are you spending more with them for bigger return?

And I do also understand what you are saying. 

Cruising has become cheaper overall however it depends on the ship and type of cabin you want as to exactly how much cheaper. 

In general in the world though restaurants who offer set menus at set prices do always have surcharges for more expensive options and extra sides as well

And generally they do it because of demand for that option

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

By the way what is an MDR upgrade?  Extra dishes in the MDR which you pay for?  How on earth would that work>

Special courses 

A starter

A main 

And a dessert 

(Not sure if it was just one choice of each)

With a surcharge. Someone posted details of it somewhere recently where it's being trialled

Think it was 12.95 for all 3 or 4.95 ish extra for individual courses if you only wanted to try one

The main I saw was a nice fillet steak option with sauce for example

Kind of course you would get in Epicurean or Limelight. 

Can't remember the other courses.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

What did you find so exceptional?  Just off Aurora and although some nights, the food was good, the choice on other nights was dismal.  Roast beef, roast pork collar (whatever that is), and bream.  Tell me what dishes you liked?  On the last night I had sweet & sour chicken with stir fried veg and rice.  It was lovely, but good different dishes were few and far between.

I would have loved all of those. But the sweet and sour chicken, all that sticky, sickly sauce with goodness knows what in it! No thank you.

Edited by FangedRose

22 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Special courses 

A starter

A main 

And a dessert 

(Not sure if it was just one choice of each)

With a surcharge. Someone posted details of it somewhere recently where it's being trialled

Think it was 12.95 for all 3 or 4.95 ish extra for individual courses if you only wanted to try one

The main I saw was a nice fillet steak option with sauce for example

Kind of course you would get in Epicurean or Limelight. 

Can't remember the other courses.

It was £14.95. 

Kalos was talking about Cunard I believe and I thought we had moved on from your challenging every statement someone else made ... 

You can remove the tips/gratuities on all lines bar one in my experience - you mention Celebrity, yes you can.  However there are many on here who pay those gratuities because they want to or in some cases fear they'll be shamed if they say they remove them.  

In answer to the point directed at me personally I wasn't suggesting everyone should go to speciality restaurants I was actually pointing out that for £14.95 the Beach House offers better value than the proposed extras in the MDR.

For what it's worth my view is once you let the genie out of the box for extra charges in the MDR it won't stop with the odd fillet steak or lobster claw, they will look at other things too. All those egg benedict breakfast regulars look forward too ... hmm how about an extra fiver? That'll do nicely sir!

And as once more you're back on this cheap cruising hobby horse, £8,000 for two weeks in a balcony on Aurora ain't cheap by anyone's standard or for that matter £7,500 fly cruise on Arvia.  The least people should get for that sort of money is a decent piece of steak now and again at no extra charge!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 12

By the way what is an MDR upgrade?  Extra dishes in the MDR which you pay for?  How on earth would that work>

You order the extra priced dish and the waiter adds it to your account. Same as a drink.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Also I can still go on a P and O Ship and eat food in any restaurant and enjoy any entertainment  even if I book inside saver

Not being able to do that on Cunard has put me off their ships. Do other cruise lines have places inside savers can't go? 

(I realise I can't use Epicurean for breakfast on an inside saver)

Yes, other cruise lines do that. MSC, NCL and Celebrity all have areas of the ship e.g. bars, lounges, restaurants, sometimes pools, that are only available to certain cabin types or high loyalty tiers.

What did you find so exceptional?

We've been cruising on Britannia since it was first launched, as well as other ships.

My wife and I, and the passengers that shared our Club Dining table commented on the vast improvement to the dining since covid.

I can't really remember precisely what we had, each night, but all of us found at least one, if not more, choices of starter, main course and sweet that suited us and all were always cooked too perfection. 

The cruise itself was one of the best we have had in recent years, spoilt to a degree, by penny pinching. Like having to ask for biscuits to be left in the cabin, a lack of speakers in the daytime, repetitive showing of the same films in The Studio, all aimed at an age group much lower than the ships average and, finally, a shuttle service to Valencia that left us about 2 miles away from the town centre without guidance.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It was £14.95. 

Kalos was talking about Cunard I believe and I thought we had moved on from your challenging every statement someone else made ... 

You can remove the tips/gratuities on all lines bar one in my experience - you mention Celebrity, yes you can.  However there are many on here who pay those gratuities because they want to or in some cases fear they'll be shamed if they say they remove them.  

In answer to the point directed at me personally I wasn't suggesting everyone should go to speciality restaurants I was actually pointing out that for £14.95 the Beach House offers better value than the proposed extras in the MDR.

For what it's worth my view is once you let the genie out of the box for extra charges in the MDR it won't stop with the odd fillet steak or lobster claw, they will look at other things too. All those egg benedict breakfast regulars look forward too ... hmm how about an extra fiver? That'll do nicely sir!

And as once more you're back on this cheap cruising hobby horse, £8,000 for two weeks in a balcony on Aurora ain't cheap by anyone's standard or for that matter £7,500 fly cruise on Arvia.  The least people should get for that sort of money is a decent piece of steak now and again at no extra charge!

Do you think P and O should look at Cunard and include better dining as standard for higher paying passengers MB?

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Extra chips at £1 each or a kilogram of green beans for 50p

I have thought up a new upcharge for those who want new experiences ?

For a moderate fee  ,all those rock slabs that people cook their steaks  on whilst 

the fat splatters all over you 🙃

They are sat in the Beach house idle all day ,so get them in the MDR for breakfast 

where you can cook your own bacon ,eggs breakfast and half a sausage .

Things like beans and tomatoes as well . No more moaning my bacons not cooked 

right cos your in control and admired by the folk around you .

Could catch on 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Leomins said:

Yes, other cruise lines do that. MSC, NCL and Celebrity all have areas of the ship e.g. bars, lounges, restaurants, sometimes pools, that are only available to certain cabin types or high loyalty tiers.

The food and drink places I'm not allowed to enjoy on these ships would make me feel I'm travelling second class

Im happy to say I dont feel like that at all on P and O currently (although the occasional poster on here tries to imply that from time to time)

I just feel I'm choosing a cheaper option for my cabin. Certainly would feel different if my food options were limited on board as above

Certainly put me off Cunard when I once saw a cruise with them I fancied before further investigation

9 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

We've been cruising on Britannia since it was first launched, as well as other ships.

My wife and I, and the passengers that shared our Club Dining table commented on the vast improvement to the dining since covid.

I can't really remember precisely what we had, each night, but all of us found at least one, if not more, choices of starter, main course and sweet that suited us and all were always cooked too perfection. 

The cruise itself was one of the best we have had in recent years, spoilt to a degree, by penny pinching. Like having to ask for biscuits to be left in the cabin, a lack of speakers in the daytime, repetitive showing of the same films in The Studio, all aimed at an age group much lower than the ships average and, finally, a shuttle service to Valencia that left us about 2 miles away from the town centre without guidance.

That's what I like. 

Feedback you can trust.. Not all positive. 

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

MB I would say by far one of the biggest talking points/complaints we see on here from experienced cruisers is that the choice and quality of MDR is not what it's used to be.

You must agree this point is often raised on here?

Personally I really enjoyed the MDR food last time I used P and O on Iona. But clearly others think it has declined. And I respect their thoughts on this. 

The fact that there are far more speciality dining options on most ships now compared to the past doesn't take away the focus on MDR for some people. Fair enough again

Clearly some passengers also like to stick to dining in MDR most of their cruise. Some on shared tables at set times still. And it makes sense - especially for single travellers who  like the social aspect of shared dining in MDR. I've learnt that from others on here myself. They aren't persuaded by me to try speciality dining elsewhere for more choice and quality. They won't be persuaded by you either I doubt. 

I personally do like choice and I do like quality. I'm also prepared to pay extra for that on occasions. Like others clearly do with the popularity of the speciality restaurants on ships.

If we are being fair back to P and O I think there's no doubt we all accept the cost of cruising with them has decreased QUITE significantly in real terms since the times people are comparing MDR menus too. 

P and O rarely seem to get any credit  for the  wider choice of dining in other restaurants on the ships when MDR gets discussed. Again fair enough especially for those who only want to use MDR

But if some (not all) people are complaining about MDR choice and quality declining (which comes up regularly on here) then adding special signature dishes to the MDR menus for those who want to take advantage can surely help alleviate those complaints.

Why wouldn't P and O trial this at least?

More choice and more quality available?

In a world of significant rising costs in fuel, food and labour to have our P and O cruise prices coming down in real term prices  from ten to even twenty plus years ago is pretty incredible IMO.

If that means cutbacks - i.e. no turndown and chocolates on bed, no brass bands when the cruise leaves, less MDR choice and quality then you can say fair enough just for the fact we pay far less now. But some still don't say fair enough. 

But if we are paying far less and no longer paying tips like before then  for those of us who want to spend some of those savings on upgrades on MDR I  think it's good to have this potential extra choice. 

And should go some way to removing ongoing complaints about lack of choice and quality in MDR? Surely. 

The speciality courses I saw looked like Celebration Night type courses yet available on standard nights. 

To me it's a good thing for all concerned to have more choice and quality available on MDR.  And should take away one large complaint about any potential decline in MDR menus.

Why not have higher end food available in MDRs every night? Other cruise lines do it at higher prices where we still pay tips as well?

Don't you like and welcome the extra choice it will give?

Those who want to use it can use it. Those that don't want to don't have to?

I like choice myself.

I really hope the  trial works and it stays. Hence my questions for any updates online this

Let's face it ICF most cruisers do not want to pay extra for something that they feel they have already paid for. For those that do, then in my view there are  now enough speciality restaurants that offer a range of price points in a different setting.

I would be interested to know how popular these extra charge MDR offers are on the other lines that now offer them, and whether sailings from Southampton have the same level of interest as those in America.

But in the main I think most posters want the overal quality and choice improved, but not the price.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I have thought up a new upcharge for those who want new experiences ?

For a moderate fee  ,all those rock slabs that people cook their steaks  on whilst 

the fat splatters all over you 🙃

They are sat in the Beach house idle all day ,so get them in the MDR for breakfast 

where you can cook your own bacon ,eggs breakfast and half a sausage .

Things like beans and tomatoes as well . No more moaning my bacons not cooked 

right cos your in control and admired by the folk around you .

Could catch on 😉

Will there be black pudding thrown in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Let's face it ICF most cruisers do not want to pay extra for something that they feel they have already paid for. For those that do, then in my view there are  now enough speciality restaurants that offer a range of price points in a different setting.

I would be interested to know how popular these extra charge MDR offers are on the other lines that now offer them, and whether sailings from Southampton have the same level of interest as those in America.

I'm not thinking my cruise fare entitles me to approaching Epicurean level food in MDR though John

Certainly not expecting to be able to enjoy fillet steak cooked to order in MDR. Nobody can be surely

So if it becomes another choice in there and the rest of the menu remains as is have we created a problem or just improved choice

You can't assume anything else will change other than some upgrades will be added

Lots of people seem to want to find fault when at this stage this could just be extra choice for those who want it. 

If it proves to be worth the money people will pay. If it doesn't they won't. Same as anything else in life.

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Do you think P and O should look at Cunard and include better dining as standard for higher paying passengers MB?

If you refer to the Grills which I'm assuming, there is nothing comparable on P&O as they are dedicated restaurants built to serve their respective stateroom grades.  People pay very high end prices for these rooms and are accordingly given a separate restaurant, lounge and terrace area - think Celebrity, MSC etc where large areas are "ships within ships".  None of P&O's ships have areas suitable to offer these high end restaurants - suite passengers on P&O apart from breakfast in Epicurean or wherever have to eat in the MDR.

Cunard's menus in Britannia restaurant although cut back from 2019 levels are fairly diverse and offer high quality food.  There are no extra charges.  The difference with the Queens is very few extra pay restaurants on offer. Queen Anne will be interesting, the big test will be if quality and selection in the MDR lessens.

I do not believe in upselling in restaurants, no problem with speciality at all but I think more and more reduction in choice will occur if the slippery path is taken.

To answer directly, no I do not believe better dining should be offered to those paying more unless it is in a dedicated individual restaurant.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's what I like. 

Feedback you can trust.. Not all positive. 

ICF

Why do you come up with these comments re reviews you can ‘trust’ or as in the past where you say reviews that tell the ‘truth’,that implies that reviews you don’t agree with aren’t trustworthy or the reviewer is telling lies.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Certainly not expecting to be able to enjoy fillet steak cooked to order in MDR. Nobody can be surely

You surely don't believe that's what you'll be getting? It will come out played from the kitchen with exactly the same accompaniment as everything else.  There's one kitchen serving the dining room.  They aren't going to have a special chef standing there tools in hand to prepare Mr and Mrs ICF's dinner.

Those Cunard Grills passengers will have that, food cooked more or less on request.

Most of the big new ships have things like the MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat etc. So you're not going to be able to sail on them if you don't like being "barred".  RC has dedicated lounges for their high tier passengers where they get free drinks every night.  Maybe if they want to upsell P&O need these things for high paying passengers not special dining arrangements?

I don't want particularly haute cuisine.  I would just like a better choice than 2 roast dishes, with tuna as the only other choice unless I wanted vegetable stew!

On the Indian night in the buffet for instance, why don't they put on a curry in the MDR - they always used to.  ~For just one of the choices I mean.  We did have lasagne one night in the MDR, but frankly is was poor.  Sweet & sour chicken on the last night was lovely.  One Black tie night, there was Tiger Prawn and Lobster claw in a pastry case.  That was also lovely.

• Like 3

Just now, JeanieC,Aston said:

ICF

Why do you come up with these comments re reviews you can ‘trust’ or as in the past where you say reviews that tell the ‘truth’,that implies that reviews you don’t agree with aren’t trustworthy or the reviewer is telling lies.

Because when I see reviews for anything at  all - if it's all positive I'm slightly suspicious and if it's all negative Im also wondering if they just had a downer on what they spent money on

On Trip Advisor one star reviews you can tend to ignore. 5 star reviews you can definitely trust if in amongst the good stuff there's the odd room for improvement.

So that feedback from the poster above has enough complaints to at least allow people to know they genuinely thought the MDR was excellent 

Nothing more nothing less. Personally I felt they were also challenged a bit by a poster when they dared to describe MDR as excellent.

Not even I'm brave enough to say that on here!

• Haha 2

What did you find so exceptional?  Just off Aurora and although some nights, the food was good, the choice on other nights was dismal.  Roast beef, roast pork collar (whatever that is), and bream.  Tell me what dishes you liked?  On the last night I had sweet & sour chicken with stir fried veg and rice.  It was lovely, but good different dishes were few and far between.

On the same cruise. Is it me, or do they not know how to cook boiled potatoes; green beans; brussel sprouts; broccoli; peas; carrot; celeriac; turnip; parsnip; etc?  

It would appear they are all just prepared (or defrosted) and then dipped in warm water and served - no cooking involved. The boiled potatoes would easily have outlasted a 20/20 cricket match ball.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You surely don't believe that's what you'll be getting? It will come out played from the kitchen with exactly the same accompaniment as everything else.  There's one kitchen serving the dining room.  They aren't going to have a special chef standing there tools in hand to prepare Mr and Mrs ICF's dinner.

Those Cunard Grills passengers will have that, food cooked more or less on request.

Most of the big new ships have things like the MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat etc. So you're not going to be able to sail on them if you don't like being "barred".  RC has dedicated lounges for their high tier passengers where they get free drinks every night.  Maybe if they want to upsell P&O need these things for high paying passengers not special dining arrangements?

Yes I'm expecting fillet steak grilled to my liking or I'm not ordering it. That's what I get in Epicurean and Limelight. And that's what I'm expecting based on the description of the dish I read. If not I won't buy and if they cant sell fillet steak to me in MDR then they will struggle to sell to anyone. And the trial will fail. I will pay for quality. Not just over cooked or slow cooked steak.

Would pay upto 8 or 9 pounds supplement for a nicely cooked fillet in MDR

The ones I've had in Epicurean and Limelight have been delicious. So no reason YET to doubt them in MDR. 

I hope I get the chance to try

Ps I'm sure the one I read described the whole meal and accompaniments and didn't just say fillet steak?

It sounded very similar to what you get in Epicurean or Limelight. And ive said long before this trial was discussed that the last fillet steak main I had in Limelight (on Arvia) was amazing

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Even if cruises were only the same price as 6 years ago that's incredible with the costs of inflation since then though Jean?

They've not increased in price have they?

But I think people compare stuff they got far longer than 6 years ago tbh. And we all know how expensive cruising would be comparatively in the past.  

Did you ever do economics ICF, if you did you will maybe remember the economies of scale, that is the reason that cruises are now cheaper, the ratio of passengers to crew is now much higher on the big ships than 5 to 10 years ago.

It's the same with most consumer goods, when you factor in inflation an early model 14 inch black and white TV was many times more expensive than todays 54 inch high definition smart colour TV.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The food and drink places I'm not allowed to enjoy on these ships would make me feel I'm travelling second class

Im happy to say I dont feel like that at all on P and O currently (although the occasional poster on here tries to imply that from time to time)

I just feel I'm choosing a cheaper option for my cabin. Certainly would feel different if my food options were limited on board as above

Certainly put me off Cunard when I once saw a cruise with them I fancied before further investigation

These areas are not food and drink places people are barred from. They are areas with dedicated facilities of all sorts including pools, health areas, sunbeds, terraces etc.  Yes there are bars in those areas but generally only one restaurant for those select passengers to dine in.  You need key access to the facilities but the restaurants are generally in the main areas of the ship.

• Like 1