Frequent Cruising Pre and During Retirement

RobinKY

I am 52 and plan on retiring in 2031.  I am single and make a good living.  My kids are almost out of college and I have grown accustomed to being alone.  I really enjoy cruising but obviously family and work obligations limit how many cruises I can go on.  My work schedule is becoming more flexible, especially since technology has allowed more remote working. In 3-4 years I am seriously thinking about taking several long duration cruises a year, maybe rent an apartment near a port for time on land as well as keep my home in Indiana (at least until my kids get settled).  I am looking for advice on the questions below.

• How often do cruise lines give breaks to solo cruisers on traditional staterooms, including balconies?
  • Any tips for cruise lines that offer solo cruisers staterooms?
  • How feasible/expensive is connecting to the internet for several hours a day to get work done?
  • How good are last minute deals?
  • Which cruise lines have the best loyalty programs?
  • Which cruise lines have self-service laundry?
  • What advice to meet other solo cruiser to hang out on occasion or eat together? Any particular cruise line better for solo cruisers?
  • What is the protocol if I have a family emergency during a long duration cruise?

41 minutes ago, RobinKY said:

I am 52 and plan on retiring in 2031.  I am single and make a good living.  My kids are almost out of college and I have grown accustomed to being alone.  I really enjoy cruising but obviously family and work obligations limit how many cruises I can go on.  My work schedule is becoming more flexible, especially since technology has allowed more remote working. In 3-4 years I am seriously thinking about taking several long duration cruises a year, maybe rent an apartment near a port for time on land as well as keep my home in Indiana (at least until my kids get settled).  I am looking for advice on the questions below.

• How often do cruise lines give breaks to solo cruisers on traditional staterooms, including balconies?
  • Most cruise lines run periodic promotions with reduced fares for solo cruisers.  There is no predictable frequency - you just have to check when you wish to book a cruise. However, NCL and Celebrity have ships with dedicated solo staterooms. Celebrity for certain with balconies. RCCL also does on Harmony of the Seas.
  • See above
  • How feasible/expensive is connecting to the internet for several hours a day to get work done?
  • Most cruise lines have varying internet packages from single days to full cruise. What works best for you would determine which plan to consider, but if you need it for a period of time every day probably the full cruise package would be best.
  • Hard to say as every cruise line offers varying promotions.  "Last minute" deals are typically a thing of the past as with current cruising popularity even remaining unsold staterooms would be typically sold at the last published price.
  • Royal Caribbean.  And their program has reciprocal tier benefits with Celebrity.
  • I believe Princess?  Other will know better than me.
  • What advice to meet other solo cruiser to hang out on occasion or eat together? Any particular cruise line better for solo cruisers?
  • Most cruise lines will offer on board solo gatherings.  Not sure which is best for this, however.
  • What is the protocol if I have a family emergency during a long duration cruise?
  • I think it would depend on the nature of the emergency but typically you would disembark at the next port of call to arrange a return flight home.  Don't believe there would be any financial consideration from the cruise line for missed days on the cruise.

See my responses in RED above.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few thoughts from my own experiences as a solo cruiser for the last 15 years:

• How often do cruise lines give breaks to solo cruisers on traditional staterooms, including balconies?  Solo pricing is very sporadic in most cases. You'll probably need to search aggressively and in many different ways. Discounts, if offered, are generally for Inside and sometimes Ocean View categories, rarely for Balconies and above. Since you seem like a researcher, start earmarking sites online that provide best solo pricing deals (most are associated with travel agencies so cannot be named here). Occasionally a line will "announce" a solo supplement sale, but often they go unannounced, you just have to "discover" them through trial bookings. At least one line, Azamara, lists them on their website among their various types of special pricing, but generally only for cruises within the next 6-9 months out. There is a solo cruisers forum here on CC where sales are sometimes posted.

• Any tips for cruise lines that offer solo cruisers staterooms?  I'm not sure about all lines. Celebrity has a few, as noted above. HAL has a few OV cabins on their Pinnacle-class ships. Oceania has a few on their R-class (smaller) ships that are OV. NCL offers solo "studio" cabins on some ships but must are quite small. Other lines may offer solo staterooms also -- these are just the ones I know of.

• How feasible/expensive is connecting to the internet for several hours a day to get work done?  If you think you're going to need to connect to internet for several hours daily, you're probably better off getting an internet package for the entire cruise. Some lines bundle this with other amenities but most also allow you to purchase a stand-alone access package. Luckily, this is a time in which ships are upgrading their internet access, so I expect it to become increasingly reliable and stable (unlike the past).

• How good are last minute deals?  Assuming you mean within a certain number of days before a cruise and not truly "last minute", the deals vary. Often you'll find reductions in all available categories after the final payment window closes, as some folks will invariably not make that payment. Very popular "one off" cruises may not see much movement in prices, however.  One key I'm finding is to be as flexible as possible with regard to room category, location and so on, if looking at last-minute deals. Just factor in how much you want to be on that cruise and act accordingly. Unfortunately you also have to keep in mind that air fare prices and last-minute hotel prices can wipe out any savings on the cruise, if those components are also involved.

• Which cruise lines have the best loyalty programs?  Loyalty programs aren't high on my list of considerations. Getting a great solo price saves me much more than the odd perk such as free laundry or free drinks. HAL's perks are pretty minimal. 

• Which cruise lines have self-service laundry?  It seems that self-service laundry is largely being replaced by various deals on ship laundry services. Older and smaller ships may still have self-service laundromats but it seems to be phased out in newer/larger ships, perhaps because it would be difficult to have enough capacity for self-service laundry in ships carrying 4500 passengers...  I know the smaller Oceania and Azamara ships have them. I avoid them like the plague; they are hot, crowded and fraught with self-deputized laundry police who'll pull your clothes out of the washer if you're not doing it yourself two seconds after the cycle ends. Just not worth it. I tend to hand wash a few things in my cabin and send out the occasional "bag" of laundry on a special.

• What advice to meet other solo cruiser to hang out on occasion or eat together? Any particular cruise line better for solo cruisers?  I'd advise focusing more on activities and energy level onboard fitting with yours rather than just on lines with more solo programs. NCL has a solo "lounge" and solo dinners on many ships, but it's just not a line where I feel at home. On the other hand, a line like Azamara, where the ships are small enough that you run into the same people at various activities throughout the cruise, and where most passengers are very into the destinations (and talking about them) rather than pool activities, works well for me.  Most lines make half-hearted efforts with solo get-togethers and the occasional solo dinner or meet-up. I tend not to limit my scope just to other solos though. Probably the lines that cater most to families would be the least likely to work well for a solo...

• What is the protocol if I have a family emergency during a long duration cruise?  Like any other vacation, consider the need for insurance beyond just medical situations. Things like trip interruption, having to fly home due to a family emergency, etc. can all be covered or mostly covered with the appropriate insurance (generally NOT the policy offered by the cruise line). Some retired cruisers who travel several times per year get annual policies that meet their needs. This is another good area to research, and there's a forum for cruise insurance here on CC as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobinKY said:

• How often do cruise lines give breaks to solo cruisers on traditional staterooms, including balconies? RARELY.
  • Any tips for cruise lines that offer solo cruisers staterooms? JUST CHECK OUT THOSE THAT DO.
  • How feasible/expensive is connecting to the internet for several hours a day to get work done? FEASIBLE? - YES; EXPENSIVE - ALSO YES, UNLESS IT IS BUILT INTO THE FARE YOU PAY FOR YOUR CABIN.
  • How good are last minute deals? THE LESS ATTRACTIVE THE ITINERARY/SEASON THE BETTER THE LAST MINUTE DEALS ARE.
  • Which cruise lines have the best loyalty programs? NONE OF THEM ARE REALLY WORTH NOT SHOPPING ATOUND FOR THE BEST DEAL AT THE TIME YOU START BOOKING.
  • Which cruise lines have self-service laundry? MOST.
  • What advice to meet other solo cruiser to hang out on occasion or eat together? Any particular cruise line better for solo cruisers?I THINK NCL HAS A LOT OF SINGLES’ ACTIVITIES.
  • What is the protocol if I have a family emergency during a long duration cruise? DECIDE WHETHER THE EMERGENCY REQUIRES YOUR ABORTING THE CRUISE - THEN DO SO; OTHERWISE CONTINUE YOUR CRUISE.

• Like 1

I don’t know much about solo travel other than even with “single” rooms, the cost is almost the same as for two people in a cabin. 
Consider looking for a meetup group in your hometown for cruise enthusiasts. You might meet others who you would like to travel with. If there isn’t one, think about starting one. Meetup groups are a great way to connect with others who share common interests. I met my husband through a “love the 80’s” group. We bonded over our mutual love of travel and photography. I also belonged to a beer lovers group and hiking group. I’ve made many good friends that way. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RobinKY said:

You've received some good answers already from some respected posters.  My one main suggestion is to ask some questions on the Solo Cruisers board on here at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/ .  That said, because I have a huge ego, I'll take a shot at your questions.  Not because I think my answers are better than anyone else's, but you touch on some things that are good for me to think about.

• Deals for solos are fairly rare on mainstream lines, but they do exist.  Cruiseplum.com can help you find them.
  • NCL has the most and they'll soon add more to their inventory.  Most other cruise lines have a few scattered here and there on some of their ships.  Solo cabins tend to be small - maybe too small for your needs?  I don't focus on whether a cabin is designed for a solo or not; in 25 cruises, I've never had a dedicated solo cabin.
  • By most reports and personal experience, the Internet on cruise ships is getting better.  Starlink seems to help a lot.  If your work needs constant streaming or high-quality video, expect to be disappointed.  But for jumping in and out to check e-mails and such... it should be all right on most ships.
  • Last minute deals were very good before the pandemic and immediately after the restart.  They're probably not going to be as good going forward.  But good luck looking!
  • I'm not an expert on cruise ship loyalty programs.  Even the highest levels aren't enough to move the needle for me more than a little.
  • Most of the Carnival Corporation ships have self-service laundries - though they're moving away from them on their newer ships.
  • If you really want to meet other cruisers (not a priority for me most times, I confess), I think they're pretty easy to meet in many places.  Other than mentioning roll calls here, I defer to others on exactly how.
  • Cruise lines haven't phased out their phones yet, but their per-minute rates are painfully expensive.  The cell phone plans I've seen for onboard calls aren't much better. The cruise lines have an emergency number where people back at home can call the ship and leave a message for you; that may help.  The best way to communicate with me, if I have an Internet plan, is to use e-mail.  It might be different for you.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:
  • Which cruise lines have self-service laundry?  ...  I avoid them like the plague; they are hot, crowded and fraught with self-deputized laundry police who'll pull your clothes out of the washer if you're not doing it yourself two seconds after the cycle ends. Just not worth it. I tend to hand wash a few things in my cabin and send out the occasional "bag" of laundry on a special.

Sorry for the diversion, but I wanted to comment on this.  I don't like public laundromats either, and I find the behavior you described in the ones on cruise ships horrifying.  I haven't used them on cruise ships, but as much as I don't like them, I've also never hand washed anything on a cruise.  I find that activity too much like work/chores to fool around with when I'm on vacation.  I do get free bags of laundry on one of the cruise lines that I sail on, and that's nice.

Enough about that.  Please continue with the discussion at hand.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Sorry for the diversion, but I wanted to comment on this.  I don't like public laundromats either, and I find the behavior you described in the ones on cruise ships horrifying.  I haven't used them on cruise ships, but as much as I don't like them, I've also never hand washed anything on a cruise.  I find that activity too much like work/chores to fool around with when I'm on vacation.  I do get free bags of laundry on one of the cruise lines that I sail on, and that's nice.

Enough about that.  Please continue with the discussion at hand.

To add to your diversion: you can get sprays that “freshen” your clothes. When you have shirts or pants that are just a little sweaty- spray them and they are good to wear one or two more times. Depending on the destination, I wear my swim suit instead of underwear whenever possible. It’s easy to rinse and dry and wear again. These hacks help stretch my wardrobe and reduce the need for laundry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Szt said:

To add to your diversion: you can get sprays that “freshen” your clothes. When you have shirts or pants that are just a little sweaty- spray them and they are good to wear one or two more times. Depending on the destination, I wear my swim suit instead of underwear whenever possible. It’s easy to rinse and dry and wear again. These hacks help stretch my wardrobe and reduce the need for laundry. 

Not my style, but this hint could be helpful for others here, so thank you for it.  👍

On 10/24/2023 at 7:18 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I've also never hand washed anything on a cruise.  I find that activity too much like work/chores to fool around with when I'm on vacation.

I'm a good multi-tasker. I tend to wash out a piece or two while I'm showering. Roll in a towel, squeeze and hang to dry. Honestly faster than stuffing a laundry bag. 🤣

• Like 4

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm a good multi-tasker. I tend to wash out a piece or two while I'm showering. Roll in a towel, squeeze and hang to dry. Honestly faster than stuffing a laundry bag. 🤣

I like to do the same. But my hubby says it makes us look like Beverly Hillbillies. 

• Haha 3

On 10/23/2023 at 6:17 PM, RobinKY said:

I sail solo and simply find cruises at prices I like.  I don't mind a little conversation at dinner or sitting at the bar but am not interested in hanging out with solos. I get to read without interruptions onboard so there is always a dogeared paperback in my purse.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think before making any of these decisions you need to go on a long cruise or two.  This is akin to the advice I would give to someone who wants to move across country in retirement - rent first, in the case of cruising in retirement - try it first.  

We had a similar idea and are now plowing through a bucket list of cruises, we prefer to sail 30 to 45 days at a time. We found 1. Long term social life on cruises can become a bit stale 2. Just how many times do you want to visit the same ports over and over. 3. It may become difficult to maintain your exercise/health regimen.  As I did when I moved in my youth we chose the best area for our economic advancement close to 2 airports.  We find we now have a nice financial nest, can maintain that nest by our low cost of living and with two airports we can travel anywhere at a moment’s notice.  

• Like 3

On 10/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, Mary229 said:

I think before making any of these decisions you need to go on a long cruise or two.  This is akin to the advice I would give to someone who wants to move across country in retirement - rent first, in the case of cruising in retirement - try it first.  

We had a similar idea and are now plowing through a bucket list of cruises, we prefer to sail 30 to 45 days at a time. We found 1. Long term social life on cruises can become a bit stale 2. Just how many times do you want to visit the same ports over and over. 3. It may become difficult to maintain your exercise/health regimen.  As I did when I moved in my youth we chose the best area for our economic advancement close to 2 airports.  We find we now have a nice financial nest, can maintain that nest by our low cost of living and with two airports we can travel anywhere at a moment’s notice.  

That is good advice, thanks.  My plan is to look at apartments near Ft. Lauderdale in the next 2-4 years and look at 14-21 day cruises to take while working onboard a few hours each day.  Treat it like "luxury living".  Do 1 to 3 cruises each year until I retire.  I prefer a slow, quiet pace and maybe the longer cruises (14+ days) allow for that.  I have been blessed with a rewarding career, live frugally and I don't have any other expensive hobbies.  

My first retirement cruise I am thinking about the 110-day HAL pole to pole cruise but I maybe I need to ease into that with a 30-something day cruise.

I also need to look at the benefits of establishing a Florida residence for tax purposes and cruising discounts.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, leaveitallbehind said:
On 10/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, RobinKY said:
  • I think it would depend on the nature of the emergency but typically you would disembark at the next port of call to arrange a return flight home.  Don't believe there would be any financial consideration from the cruise line for missed days on the cruise.

Do you think that trip insurance would help in this instance?

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, navybankerteacher said:
  • How often do cruise lines give breaks to solo cruisers on traditional staterooms, including balconies? RARELY.
  •  

I'm a big advocate of "establishing rapport" aka "sucking up." I've been known - not on a cruise - to spend time chatting with some of the higher ups. Ask about their families, what food do they like, blah, blah, blah. And do it regularly and not when they're busy of course. At/near the end tell them how much they've enjoyed getting to know them and where are they going next? Could you book that cruise? Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

Do you think that trip insurance would help in this instance?

Possibly. It would depend on the terms of coverage.  Different policies have different terms of coverage defining what is included or excluded.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 10/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, RobinKY said:

What is the protocol if I have a family emergency during a long duration cruise?

It is up to you. I am ignorant of cancellation insurance, figure that if I have the money to buy a cruise, I can afford to lose a bunch of it by debarking early. (I would never cruise without evacuation and medical insurance.)

What will you do, if there is a family emergency? Can your adult children handle their own challenges? Is attendance at an aged aunt's funeral mandatory? We did not leave our Cape Horn cruise when our college aged daughter needed a tonsillectomy, would your family dynamics require your attendance? The cost of the cruise would be the last thing on my mind imagining the magnitude of a family emergency that would require our return home.

• Thanks 1

For insurance concerns view the insurance forum on Cruise Critic.  You can buy annual policies, medical policies, evacuation policies and so on.  Steve is the expert over there , CC name iamtrustworthy.  Ask him for some ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1