Elegant Jeans on Seabourn? Now, what is that? What does Esquire say?

SLSD

2 hours ago, JMB56 said:

I shall travel on Seabourn for the first time next month to Antarctica.  My question is: Will my £26, slim-fitting M&S jeans be appropriate for daywear, or should I send off for a pair of £120 Patagonia jeans (both pictured)?  BTW, to reassure others, I plan to wear proper woolen trousers in the main dining room during the evening, along with a tweed sport coat.  I assume a tie will not be required as it is an expedition cruise, although I shall obviously be wearing a dress shirt.

In July on Venture in Greenland you will be fine in any venue in your Marks & Sparks jeans. While some folks definitely dress up for the MDR, I personally stopped wearing my jacket after the first few nights as I was a distinct minority in wearing one. Was just easier to forgo.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 5:10 PM, SLSD said:

My good friend Markham has made an impression on this Texan with his comments about saggy baggy jeans on older men.

I've been on Mounjaro for the last 6 weeks and have lost almost 30 pounds. I might have to buy new jeans before our cruise next month or I'll be in violation!

More seriously, it is strange to me how much debate there is about whether you can wear jeans while on multiple occasions (and not just expedition cruises!) I've seen sweat pants accepted to the MDR. Boggles the mind.

And then finally, I do find it funny that I look considerably better dressed in a pair of $15 Costco travel pants than I do in a $150 pair of designer jeans. Not sure what Esquire's editors would say about my favorite pair of costco pants...

image.png.444beb89549b615a611eb96ca7cdc523.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Or time to READ these articles 😄

It is amusing to read the posts and articles, but it is more amazing to come back after several weeks, months and even years and see the same recycled topics with a lot of the same posters.  Nothing much changes on CC except that we are seeing more diversity in clothing on ships. I almost feel bad about the people who get so upset by what others wear. They would probably enjoy their cruises - and life - much more if they did not anguish about others. Just look the other way if you don’t like it. 

2 hours ago, markandjie said:

I've been on Mounjaro for the last 6 weeks and have lost almost 30 pounds. I might have to buy new jeans before our cruise next month or I'll be in violation!

More seriously, it is strange to me how much debate there is about whether you can wear jeans while on multiple occasions (and not just expedition cruises!) I've seen sweat pants accepted to the MDR. Boggles the mind.

And then finally, I do find it funny that I look considerably better dressed in a pair of $15 Costco travel pants than I do in a $150 pair of designer jeans. Not sure what Esquire's editors would say about my favorite pair of costco pants...

image.png.444beb89549b615a611eb96ca7cdc523.png

If you read the article, you now  know that Esquire is touting  $50 jeans.  I'm sure they would also approve of your $15 pants!  We'll have to ask them about sweats.  They were not in favor of the designer jeans. 

I think everyone has to make their own decision as to what to wear.  We may not all approve, but we are not in charge.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, whirldcruzrs said:

It is amusing to read the posts and articles, but it is more amazing to come back after several weeks, months and even years and see the same recycled topics with a lot of the same posters.  Nothing much changes on CC except that we are seeing more diversity in clothing on ships. I almost feel bad about the people who get so upset by what others wear. They would probably enjoy their cruises - and life - much more if they did not anguish about others. Just look the other way if you don’t like it. 

Hey!  This was meant to be a fun somewhat humorous post--nothing serious.  Just scroll by next time.  

• Like 1

I have a question not related to elegant jeans but to the dress code at least… though I have chuckled at this thread a lot and enjoyed the levity (in places) of the post. 

This is my husband and I first seabourn cruise, we’re wondering how necessary a jacket is on formal night? My husband is more of a shirt and nice sweater kind of guy in the evenings, or even a shirt and tie.  We don’t particularly want to travel with a jacket for one night, if we don’t have too? Perhaps this is another hotly debated topic a long with elegant jeans 🙂 

10 hours ago, JMB56 said:

I shall travel on Seabourn for the first time next month to Antarctica.  My question is: Will my £26, slim-fitting M&S jeans be appropriate for daywear, or should I send off for a pair of £120 Patagonia jeans (both pictured)?

Assuming we're on serious ground here for a second, two responses… (1) Yes, your jeans will be fine for daywear on an Antarctic expedition cruise. (2) As someone who lives in jeans most days, I don't know if I wore a pair of jeans during our Antarctica cruise last year! They're fine for time on the ship, but most days, you'll be dressing for going ashore or on zodiac rides, and jeans aren't optimal to wear for those activities. You'll need waterproof pants over whatever pants you're wearing, and hiking pants (lighter fabrics, more stretch, more breathable, faster drying) might be a better choice. I wore my Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Pro pants pretty much every day — going ashore, and to breakfast and lunch. And they're easier to tuck into the boots you'll be wearing (with the waterproof pants outside the boots).

3 hours ago, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

I have a question not related to elegant jeans but to the dress code at least… though I have chuckled at this thread a lot and enjoyed the levity (in places) of the post. 

This is my husband and I first seabourn cruise, we’re wondering how necessary a jacket is on formal night? My husband is more of a shirt and nice sweater kind of guy in the evenings, or even a shirt and tie.  We don’t particularly want to travel with a jacket for one night, if we don’t have too? Perhaps this is another hotly debated topic a long with elegant jeans 🙂 

I'm sure there are various opinions about this.  First, you need to know that you can dine in a casual setting on formal nights and dress in the usual elegant casual way---a shirt and sweater would be fine.  That would have you dining in the Colonnade or at Earth and Ocean (around the pool).  If you would rather dine in the Restaurant on formal nights, you would find virtually every man wearing at least a sports coat.  Some would be without a tie, but probably most would be wearing a tie.  A few would be wearing a tuxedo/ dinner jacket.  My husband wears a sports coat when he flies, so at least one of his sports coats doesn't have to be packed.  He usually brings a second one.   I'm sure there are men who do not bring a sports coat, suit, or tux/dinner jacket. My husband wears a jacket whenever we dine in the Restaurant.  I know times are changing, but Seabourn, as a luxury cruise line, has usually had guests who dressed up a bit for dinner.  Others here may give you a different perspective.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, whirldcruzrs said:

Why? I enjoy reading these threads. But thank you for allowing me to scroll by.  

I was responding to your comment about recycled topics by the same posters.   You are of course welcome to read anything posted here.  Perhaps I misinterpreted you comment which is easy to do in this forum.  

• Thanks 1

My DH and I continue to have many chuckles about Seabourn's dress code guidance on elegant jeans.  As US guys who spent their youth in the 60s and 70s wearing Levis 501 jeans, we cannot for the lives of us understand what "elegant" jeans are.  Now that I am of a certain age, I dress more age-appropriate, but on my next Seabourn cruise I intend to wear my favorite black Levis 501 during the day.  But for dining in the evening I will wear slacks and a coat, and probably a white shirt and tie for the formal nights.

I guess I am in the middle on the question of concern for what other passengers wear.  While I do make snobby remarks about people on cruises who look like slobs and should know better, in the end I really don't care and would rather just have a good relaxing time.

But I am still amused and challenged by the concept of "elegant" jeans.  And I appreciate the light-hearted intent of this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't usually comment on threads about clothes and I don't even own a pair of jeans, but I had to jump in here because of an article I read yesterday in the Off Duty section of the Wall Street Journal.  On the front page of that section which is published on Saturdays and covers fashion, decor and food, the lead article  covering essentially the whole front page is this article: Glamorous Denim: A Guide with the sub-title From haute-couture runways to red carpets, jeans have emerged as formidable formalwear.  I thought it was an interesting coincidence to see this thread and that article at virtually the same time.

BTW, Hi Julie.  I hope you and Keith are both well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunviking said:

BTW, Hi Julie.  I hope you and Keith are both well.

We're both doing well Ann thank you. We are on the LA - Sydney segment of the world cruise any chance you might be onboard? It was lovely to meet you on Quest.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:56 AM, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

He will need a jacket if you want to dine in the restaurant on a formal evening otherwise there are other dining venues where a jacket is not required.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, frantic36 said:

We're both doing well Ann thank you. We are on the LA - Sydney segment of the world cruise any chance you might be onboard? It was lovely to meet you on Quest.

Yes, it was very nice meeting you on the Quest.  I especially enjoyed your anniversary party.  I'll be on the Odyssey for the Grand Pacific voyage so our paths won't cross.  Maybe some time in the future.  Be well.

3 hours ago, Sunviking said:

Yes, it was very nice meeting you on the Quest.  I especially enjoyed your anniversary party.  I'll be on the Odyssey for the Grand Pacific voyage so our paths won't cross.  Maybe some time in the future.  Be well.

Thank you and yes hopefully to meet again in the future.

I have friends on that voyage one who is a solo traveller from California and another older couple who have led a very interesting life. We are meeting up in Sydney as there is an overlap for us with Sojourn and Odyssey. I think you would enjoy meeting them.

35 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

So much depends upon who is wearing "it".  A beautiful, slim, 5'10" young woman can look chic and elegant in many different things - a short, plump 70 year old...........................not so much.

So true, sadly enough.  Everyone would prefer to be tall and slim--and some would prefer to be young as well.  Youth IS wasted on the young I sometimes think.  And then, they are much older before they know any better.  All we can hope for is good health and vitality as we grow older and some of us are fortunate enough to have that.  The author of the Esquire article claims that EVERY MAN looks good/better in the Wrangler cowboy cut jeans.   Maybe Seabourn could provide every man with a pair of these jeans and we can see if the author is correct!  The author made no comment about women .  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

The author made no comment about women .

Probably because most women generally look good in jeans because they get ones which fit. Men, on the other hand… 🤣

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Maybe Seabourn could provide every man with a pair of these jeans and we can see if the author is correct! 

Take it one step further: have one Not-Formal night on each cruise, where elegant jeans are the required dress in the Restaurant. 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Probably because most women generally look good in jeans because they get ones which fit. Men, on the other hand… 🤣

Take it one step further: have one Not-Formal night on each cruise, where elegant jeans are the required dress in the Restaurant. 🤣

Yes,a Wrangler theme night.

Levis not accepted 

• Like 1