Upgrade once onboard

DeanoNorthPerth

I am sure I have seen discussion on this topic before but when I searched for it nothing came up. I am boarding a cruise on 19 November which seems to have a lot of availability at this stage. Not sure if that is a lack of popularity or people cancelling because after we disembark in Istanbul the ship continues on to the Middle East. Anyway, what I was hoping to find out is how I go about enquiring about an upgrade once I board the vessel. Who is it best to talk to?

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I am sure I have seen discussion on this topic before but when I searched for it nothing came up. I am boarding a cruise on 19 November which seems to have a lot of availability at this stage. Not sure if that is a lack of popularity or people cancelling because after we disembark in Istanbul the ship continues on to the Middle East. Anyway, what I was hoping to find out is how I go about enquiring about an upgrade once I board the vessel. Who is it best to talk to?

Thanks.

Hi Deano. I trust all is well with you.

I wish I had an informed answer for you (but I don’t). My best guess is, once onboard, the place to start would be with the Purser in Guest Services though the O Club Ambassador might work as well. But, in my experience, you might not find the O Club Ambassador on duty on Embarkation Day.

If possible, let us know what you find out. And enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably you will have to pay for the upgrade so why not get your Travel Agent to do it now?  Oceania won't give upgrades for free...and if you see something that is open that you like, grab it before boarding in fact as soon as you can.

• Like 3

Hello DeanoNorthPerth,

We were booked in the same concierge level suite on back to back cruises in August.  Before leaving home for the cruise we contacted our Oceania representative to ask him the cost of an upgrade to a penthouse on the second leg, where there was availability.  He quoted $8,400 CAD for the upgrade, but said to contact him a couple of weeks later, while we were on the first leg, to see if he could get a better price.  We had notionally thought we could stretch to $4,000 CAD.  He was unable ultimately to do any better.

On the first of the two cruises we had some other reason to talk to the Executive Concierge, so I asked her about the possibility of upgrading to a penthouse on the next cruise.  She said she would put me on a list, and if there was a cancellation she would be able to offer me a penthouse for a fixed, non-negotiable amount.  The next day we had a letter from her offering us an available penthouse on the next cruise for $2,000 CAD!

On the transition day the room steward and our new butler had us moved to the penthouse by 9 a.m.

Hope this helps,

Greg from the WildWanderers, East of Perth (Ontario, Canada that is)

P.S.  We loved our trip to your Perth in February 2019.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Thanks.

Is this the cruise on the Riviera from Barcelona? I'm curious because a couple of months ago (several months after we booked) I asked about something and was told the cruise was sold out! Thanks for your question and for the replies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Is this the cruise on the Riviera from Barcelona? I'm curious because a couple of months ago (several months after we booked) I asked about something and was told the cruise was sold out! Thanks for your question and for the replies.

Maybe people cancelled due to the itinerary changes ??

28 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Well, the following cruise from Istanbul now has many openings because as many as they would allow have cancelled following the total change from a fascinating itinerary to a boring one. Some had booked the Barcelona to Dubai, so some of these are likely included.

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe people cancelled due to the itinerary changes ??

If it's the same cruise I think my call was after the final payment was due. My TA checked with O about this, and was told about it being full. I just checked and saw that every category is "available". Doesn't matter to me, as I was asking about Simply More and it didn't make sense for me to change anyway, but still... strange.

And I was checking only the Barcelona - Istanbul leg.

Edited by YourWorldWithBill
Added last sentence

It might be worth checking prior to boarding just in case there's a deal to be had. We had a good experience earlier this year on Regatta - had a PH booked and noticed a Vista Suite languishing. Advised my agent to make an offer and we got it $1000 below the stated price. You never know....

Good luck!

Rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hi Deano. I trust all is well with you.

I wish I had an informed answer for you (but I don’t). My best guess is, once onboard, the place to start would be with the Purser in Guest Services though the O Club Ambassador might work as well. But, in my experience, you might not find the O Club Ambassador on duty on Embarkation Day.

If possible, let us know what you find out. And enjoy your cruise!

Go right to the concierge he is he one that can help you..but it rarely happens

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Yes it is.

8 hours ago, WildWanderers said:

Hello DeanoNorthPerth,

We were booked in the same concierge level suite on back to back cruises in August.  Before leaving home for the cruise we contacted our Oceania representative to ask him the cost of an upgrade to a penthouse on the second leg, where there was availability.  He quoted $8,400 CAD for the upgrade, but said to contact him a couple of weeks later, while we were on the first leg, to see if he could get a better price.  We had notionally thought we could stretch to $4,000 CAD.  He was unable ultimately to do any better.

On the first of the two cruises we had some other reason to talk to the Executive Concierge, so I asked her about the possibility of upgrading to a penthouse on the next cruise.  She said she would put me on a list, and if there was a cancellation she would be able to offer me a penthouse for a fixed, non-negotiable amount.  The next day we had a letter from her offering us an available penthouse on the next cruise for $2,000 CAD!

On the transition day the room steward and our new butler had us moved to the penthouse by 9 a.m.

Hope this helps,

Greg from the WildWanderers, East of Perth (Ontario, Canada that is)

P.S.  We loved our trip to your Perth in February 2019.

Exactly the information I was after. Thanks so much.

Be patient.  We have upgraded on the ship.  Ask. If the ship isn’t full, you may be pleasantly surprised. We paid for the upgrade using OBC.  Cost was very reasonable.  If the ship is full, be happy in your booked cabin.  Often people cancel at the last moment.  We were all packed in July, ready to fly the next day, and had to cancel due to a medical emergency . Instead of cruising, spent time in the hospital. Our cabin was empty.  Perhaps somebody got our cabin. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've done this a number of times. We go to Guest services upon boarding & let them know our wishes. If the ship is not full you;ll have a decent chance. They'll give you a few choices & the cost. I don't recommend going through your TA.Otherwise you'll pay full price. Also don't expect much in suites. Most cases there are Concierge cabins. Do take advantage of all Concierge amenities that you are entitled to.

35 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We've done this a number of times. We go to Guest services upon boarding & let them know our wishes. If the ship is not full you;ll have a decent chance. They'll give you a few choices & the cost. I don't recommend going through your TA.Otherwise you'll pay full price. Also don't expect much in suites. Most cases there are Concierge cabins. Do take advantage of all Concierge amenities that you are entitled to.

Is this on Oceania?