Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

Just now, david63 said:

Nooooooooooooooo - chips and tomato ketchup as prescribed by the grandkids😀

My idea of hell, tomato ketchup is the devil's invention.  I do have a bottle sitting in the cupboard because my niece's daughter expects it if she is visiting abd has chips.

The odd occasion that I have chips I like to have mayonnaise with them.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I don’t know about the foreseeable,but that menu and others seem to have been with us for years.

On every P&O cruise I have the Asparagus and poached egg,,,,,Bouillabaisse,,,and Atlantic haddock every time I see that menu and very nice it’s been too.Those who cruise P&O know those menus off by heart yet still complain and book P&O.

If I disliked every menu all the time like some do I wouldn’t cruise with that line.

I’ve been surprised to see repetition already in our second week, so I suspect that we might get a bit fed up with how many times they repeat when we are on Aurora for 65 nights 😱.

That being said, neither of us are fussy eaters, so even if the menus repeat every few weeks we can still try something different each time, or go back to things that we like. Our menus at home have considerably more repetition than the ships MDRs 😂

We have now had over 30 days on P&O since July on 3 different ships, and whilst there have been one or two meals where we wished that we’d ordered something else, we haven’t had a bad meal yet in any of the MDRs. 

Interestingly, there was a lady on our table at the Caribbean lunch yesterday who said that she’d been on one of the new Saga ships but she wouldn't go again and preferred P&O. I asked why and she said that the food wasn’t as good 😂 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My idea of hell, tomato ketchup is the devil's invention.  I do have a bottle sitting in the cupboard because my niece's daughter expects it if she is visiting abd has chips.

The odd occasion that I have chips I like to have mayonnaise with them.

Yes, Belgian style!

• Like 1

Having been a pescatarian for over 44 years (yes I’m a trendsetter don’t you know 😂😂) I would always choose the twice baked soufflé without hesitation with asparagus to start - yummy!

There’s always one menu which doesn’t appeal but we just either go to the buffet or try and get into one of the speciality restaurants. That’s one of the great things about cruising you can always find somewhere to eat.

I hope you continue to have a good cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I don’t know about the foreseeable,but that menu and others seem to have been with us for years.

On every P&O cruise I have the Asparagus and poached egg,,,,,Bouillabaisse,,,and Atlantic haddock every time I see that menu and very nice it’s been too.Those who cruise P&O know those menus off by heart yet still complain and book P&O.

If I disliked every menu all the time like some do I wouldn’t cruise with that line.

I don't dislike them all, but they are now very samey and some of the veg dishes are just awful.  One night the title was Vegetable Stew!!   Luckily, food is not the reason I cruise.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes the port shuttles are a mix of yellow busses, yellow coaches and Tui coaches. Don’t ask me why! Thought of you this morning. Had to go to the buffet for breakfast. Horrendous. Never mind preservegate, I have a buttergate story

to share later 😂 

As it happens, I cancelled our breakfast in Aqua yesterday morning as the boss couldn't get out of bed; she is full of cold. So, I had a lay in myself and popped one deck up to Horizon for my breakfast, for the first time ever ....and the last. 

It will all go in the report!🙄

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Chips and mayo is a treat for me...

3 hours ago, david63 said:

Nooooooooooooooo - chips and tomato ketchup as prescribed by the grandkids😀

I swing both ways!

Tomato ketchup usually with thick chips, especially when a dippy fried egg is involved.

Mayo with French fries

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Spoke to a couple yesterday who walked from the ship but turned right at the port exit, rather than left toward Arrecife, and said it was a nice walk and a better bet than Arrecife. Can’t confirm that though. 

Last time we were in Arrecife we just had an early lunch and then spent the time in the marina.  A couple of nice yottie shops and one of the bars has views of the boats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Leicester said:

Lisbon I believe. 

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

Same address iona then .Ships company will be able to meet easier in Lisbon 

According to the port schedule we are due in at 07:15, half an hour before Ventura; so, best berth again maybe.

1 hour ago, Red Leicester said:

Maybe that is the “operational reason” Iona is leaving half hour earlier than booked today. 

Presumably shadowing each other back to Southampton too. 

Or maybe with the threatened pilot strike, they want to spread the arrivals out more.

Anyway, as they say... first up, best dressed. 😉

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Maybe that is the “operational reason” Iona is leaving half hour earlier than booked today. 

Presumably shadowing each other back to Southampton too. 

I’m hoping that we will travel back to Southampton side by side, with Iona acting as a wind break for Ventura 💨 🌊 

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I’m hoping that we will travel back to Southampton side by side, with Iona acting as a wind break for Ventura 💨 🌊 

Judging by all that everyone has been eating on here, you definitely don't want to be down wind of us!🤭

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

As it happens, I cancelled our breakfast in Aqua yesterday morning as the boss couldn't get out of bed; she is full of cold. So, I had a lay in myself and popped one deck up to Horizon for my breakfast, for the first time ever ....and the last. 

It will all go in the report!🙄

We had great breakfasts in the buffet.  wonder what was wrong.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I have also had some breakfasts in the buffet better than the MDR including poached eggs, omelettes and eggs Benedict etc..

sometimes in the MDR they arrive lukewarm whereas, if available, they cooked to order and hot.

Yes, my husband loves eggs benedict.  Great choice and actually on Aurora, we found areas that weren't crowded at all.

• Like 2