NCL Joy Transatlantic from Southampton to Miami, Feb. 13-24 -- a few questions

ludalex

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of the experts could provide some advice/knowledge to someone who has never done a Transatlantic cruise.  We are considering the one from Southampton to Miami in February on the Joy, but have some concerns:

-  there are no ports -- it's just 10 days at sea.  How difficult is that for people who have never had more than one sea day?  Is boredom likely?

-  how bad could the weather be at that time of year on the itinerary from the point of view of sea-sickness?  (I assume it moves diagonally south towards Florida.)

-  also in terms of the weather, how likely is it that we could go outside, on the balcony, etc., i.e. how cold is it?  At what point does it get a lot warmer?

-  what's NCL Joy like in terms of entertainment and stuff to do?  (I notice they have the Beatles cover band, which would be great!)

-  what should we expect from unlimited WiFi package if we get it -- is streaming realistic?  I think Norwegian is using Starlink, and I was recently on the Epic in the Mediterranean.  We had a small amount of data, and the coverage wasn't bad but somewhat sporadic.

-finally, I saw something about the Joy undergoing "revitalization" and that some cruises around that time would be cancelled, but NCL has this particular one in their schedule on the site.  Does anyone know more?

Anyway, I would be very grateful to anyone who could answer some or all of these questions!

So thanks in advance,

Alex

37 minutes ago, ludalex said:

what's NCL Joy like in terms of entertainment and stuff to do?  (I notice they have the Beatles cover band, which would be great!)

Footloose and Elements were also good shows.

38 minutes ago, ludalex said:

I think Norwegian is using Starlink

On SOME ships so far.  See the next comment for a little more.

39 minutes ago, ludalex said:

-finally, I saw something about the Joy undergoing "revitalization" and that some cruises around that time would be cancelled, but NCL has this particular one in their schedule on the site.  Does anyone know more?

There are a couple threads on this already.  Part of the Observation Lounge is being removed to reinstall cabins (there were originally cabins in some of that space, which were removed for the 'Westernization" in 2019.  This TA is the repositioning FOR that drydock so it's unlikely it will be cancelled.  This is also where the Starlink reference comes in - they may be waiting until that drydock for the Starlink installation.  Because the ship is heading 'across the pond' for the drydock it's extremely possible that some areas (such as the part of the OL that is being removed) will be closed off for work to begin during the crossing.

• Like 1

Bring a Kindle loaded with at least two books.  Attend the daily beginner bridge (cards) lesson.  Eat breakfast and lunch in the MDRs (takes more time than the buffet).  Take the ship’s tour ($$). Hang around the bars and meet new people. Surely you had a purpose in signing up for a TA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ludalex said:

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of the experts could provide some advice/knowledge to someone who has never done a Transatlantic cruise.  We are considering the one from Southampton to Miami in February on the Joy, but have some concerns:

Anyway, I would be very grateful to anyone who could answer some or all of these questions!

So thanks in advance,

Alex

-  there are no ports -- it's just 10 days at sea.  How difficult is that for people who have never had more than one sea day?  Is boredom likely?

We find TAs to be the epitome of relaxation. It is probably not outside weather, so consider a Thermal Suite pass. 

-  how bad could the weather be at that time of year on the itinerary from the point of view of sea-sickness?  (I assume it moves diagonally south towards Florida.)

The weather is unpredictable any time of the year. The captain will try to avoid bad weather, but sometimes you just can't get around it. Get a prescription patch and enjoy the cruise. 

-  also in terms of the weather, how likely is it that we could go outside, on the balcony, etc., i.e. how cold is it?  At what point does it get a lot warmer?

You can enjoy your balcony as long as it is not too windy. The outdoor dining areas on the Waterfront (Deck 8 ) have ceiling heaters which are sometimes on during the day. Consider a Thermal Suite pass. 

-  what's NCL Joy like in terms of entertainment and stuff to do?  (I notice they have the Beatles cover band, which would be great!)

Beatles as a cover band. They will have extra guest performers on board for your voyage. Elements is the (only) production show on the ship. Footloose was cancelled as of this week. Guest performers, Beatles, Comedians and Movies will be in the theater nightly. 

But you are not limited to the Theater. All of the bars have live music at night and most of the performers are great!

-  what should we expect from unlimited WiFi package if we get it -- is streaming realistic?  I think Norwegian is using Starlink, and I was recently on the Epic in the Mediterranean.  We had a small amount of data, and the coverage wasn't bad but somewhat sporadic.

The Joy may have starlink for your cruise. It is not currently available on the ship. Don't count on streaming if they do not transition to Starlink while in Europe. 

You are on the first cruise after the dry dock. That means that there may be a limited amount of clean-up still going on (we have taken post dry dock cruises before without any real incident). We had things like throw pillows for the sofa and curtains showing up during the first few days of our cruise. Nothing that impacted our experience onboard. 

For a peak at the Joy, the following link is to my live post from our cruise on the Joy last week

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Honestly, I’m not sure I’d pick this as your first TA. As others have stated, this is basically a repositioning cruise after a major dry dock during the winter.  As also stated, if I were to do this, a thermal suite pass would be a must.  At least the first half of the trip will likely be cold and windy with rough seas.  BUT… the Joy currently doesn’t have a thermal suite.  It’s one of the things that’s being added during the dry dock, but there’s no guarantee that it will be fully operational in time for this sailing.

I LOVE the Joy.  Especially if you’re fortunate enough to be in the Haven.  I would do this trip in the Haven in a heartbeat.  But there are a lot of question marks if you’re outside the complex.  Either way, there will be a lot of down time.  For a first TA, I think I’d look elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 1

Thanks so much, everyone -- very helpful.  What exactly is a thermal suite?  Is that some sort of SPA pass geared for the winter?

We haven't decided yet, and I'll do some more homework about the Joy's status after its dry dock.   But I am leaning towards @Russiamomm advice about trying some other option as our first TA -- both, in terms of the season and of having no ports at all.  Unless someone wants to talk me into trying it!😃 I do like what the Joy has to offer.  And I'll definitely check out @BirdTravels post about the Joy.

9 hours ago, ludalex said:

Thanks so much, everyone -- very helpful.  What exactly is a thermal suite?  Is that some sort of SPA pass geared for the winter?

@BirdTravels

Most NCL ships have a thermal suite.  It’s a pay extra area with hot tubs, steam rooms, saunas, etc., as well as cushy loungers and hot stone loungers.  Not necessarily “geared toward the winter”.  The spaces are fabulous any time of year.  😃  They limit the numbers of passes sold on each sailing, so they are rarely crowded.  It’s also an adults only space.  The larger ships have bigger, nicer spaces.  Do a YouTube search for NCL Thermal Suite for videos of the areas on the ship you’re interested in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Price up all the NCL TAs then watch prices.

If you have the flexibility you can go for the one with the best combination of price ship ports.

Next year's will be coming over to Europe Joy in Feb is the exception.

There are still this year's to consider going same direction some starting further south so likely to have more warm days.

• Like 1

In my opinion, an 11-day Transatlantic cruise with no ports and the likelihood of cold and suboptimal weather conditions, especially at the beginning of the journey, makes this TA less desirable. The chances of boredom and encountering unexpected unfavorable weather are quite significant.

My wife and I are booked on this TA, and it will be my 15th crossing and my wife's 19th. This crossing is less than ideal for me, mainly because of the cold weather. Transatlantic voyages are all about sea days for us. We've done crossings where we never disembarked until the end. An eighteen-day stretch at sea, from Santorini to New York, is the longest I've ever experienced. Ports on a Transatlantic journey are not important to us; the ship itself is the destination.

Cold-weather cruises can sometimes lead to a bit of boredom for me, but it's relatively rare. We don't pay much attention to the daily. We participate in trivia now and then, but it's infrequent. We have never done the spa and don't think we ever will. My wife enjoys champagne breakfasts, noontime catch-ups with friends, and occasional leisurely lunches with them. We also enjoy afternoon games and daily gatherings at the bar. I attempt to read a book from time to time, though it doesn't happen very often. What I truly savor is watching the ocean pass by with a cold beer. Keep in mind that the outside decks may close due to the weather.

We've sailed on the Joy only once. Last year, we stayed in a Haven Family Villa and knew we wanted to experience a crossing on the same ship. We consider the Haven on the Joy one of the best in the fleet. Typically, we don't attend shows, but there was live music throughout the ship. The fact that the ship has a District Brewhouse is a major plus for me, although I'm prepared for the possibility of certain beers on tap running out. Spice H2O on the Joy is fantastic, although we may not get to enjoy it until later in the cruise. I'm hoping that the weather will improve around the halfway mark, meaning temperatures in the 70s or even better, in the 80s.

The quality of Wi-Fi on our previous crossings has varied from excellent to non-existent. My wife usually needs to work during most sailings, and for the most part, she has been able to complete what she needs to. However, there have been times when not even an email could be checked. During the Prima crossing last year, we were able to stream video when we were quarantined with COVID-19. I don't know if the Joy has Starlink now, but I would think it would be available after drydock.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

We are also booked on this cruise. No port days is heaven on earth for us, as most of the bars will be open all day. 😜

You look like a Sabres fan.  I am a Leafs fan — i am past drinking! 🤪  

Just booked this cruise.  

Will be my second transatlantic - last one was on the Escape in April 2023.  

My thoughts on your points:

1. On my first transatlantic there were 8 sea days and 8 port days.  The 8 sea days made it the most relaxing trip ever, I had never done more than a 7 day cruise with 2 sea days, the fact that this cruise has 10 uninterrupted sea days and no ports is exactly what I want.  You don't realize how much there is to do on board and just how relaxing a cruise can be if you're constantly getting off and on in different ports.  People pay a lot of money for this experience with Cunard, and we're getting it for bargain basement prices without the attitude.  
  2. It's an Atlantic crossing, expect it to get rough in the middle.  They closed the pools/hottubs/spa pool for a couple of days during the last transatlantic due to rough seas.  I never felt seasick, but you could feel the ship move.  They deployed the stabilizers which helped a lot (so the captain said). 
  3. I'm expecting it to start out cold.  My favourite part of the British Isles cruise I did in May on the Dawn was the day in northern Scotland where the temp was 8 degrees C, and the pools and hot tubs were all cranked up.  Would be so nice to spend an entire day doing this for the first couple days.  The only one on deck, with bar servers who are very attentive to their only customer. 
  4. The only downside to this cruise is...no Howl at the Moon 😞  It's one of my favourite things to do.  I'm assuming there will be a piano player in the district and various bands/shows/comedians on board.  There will be no shortage of entertainment.  During the day expect to find me doing some work, reading a book or listening to a podcast on one of the heated loungers in the thermal suite.  A cruise like this is exactly what you make of it.  You can be bored if you want, but there will also be so many activities and experiences that will make the time fly by.  You'll find you quickly fit into a routine and schedule.  
  5. The internet on the Escape transatlantic was good enough to stream MLB baseball games and Netflix to the TV in my room via Chromecast.  Aside from 2 days in the middle of the Atlantic when it was completely unusable, it was decent for cruise ship internet.  I'm optimistic that this drydock will include the installation of Starlink and it will be even better.  

The decision to book this cruise would have been much different without a thermal suite onboard.  But the beauty of a cold weather cruise will be a few days of hot tubbing in case they need to put some final touches on it.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jules181 said:

Just booked this cruise.  

Will be my second transatlantic - last one was on the Escape in April 2023.  

My thoughts on your points:

1. On my first transatlantic there were 8 sea days and 8 port days.  The 8 sea days made it the most relaxing trip ever, I had never done more than a 7 day cruise with 2 sea days, the fact that this cruise has 10 uninterrupted sea days and no ports is exactly what I want.  You don't realize how much there is to do on board and just how relaxing a cruise can be if you're constantly getting off and on in different ports.  People pay a lot of money for this experience with Cunard, and we're getting it for bargain basement prices without the attitude.  
  2. It's an Atlantic crossing, expect it to get rough in the middle.  They closed the pools/hottubs/spa pool for a couple of days during the last transatlantic due to rough seas.  I never felt seasick, but you could feel the ship move.  They deployed the stabilizers which helped a lot (so the captain said). 
  3. I'm expecting it to start out cold.  My favourite part of the British Isles cruise I did in May on the Dawn was the day in northern Scotland where the temp was 8 degrees C, and the pools and hot tubs were all cranked up.  Would be so nice to spend an entire day doing this for the first couple days.  The only one on deck, with bar servers who are very attentive to their only customer. 
  4. The only downside to this cruise is...no Howl at the Moon 😞  It's one of my favourite things to do.  I'm assuming there will be a piano player in the district and various bands/shows/comedians on board.  There will be no shortage of entertainment.  During the day expect to find me doing some work, reading a book or listening to a podcast on one of the heated loungers in the thermal suite.  A cruise like this is exactly what you make of it.  You can be bored if you want, but there will also be so many activities and experiences that will make the time fly by.  You'll find you quickly fit into a routine and schedule.  
  5. The internet on the Escape transatlantic was good enough to stream MLB baseball games and Netflix to the TV in my room via Chromecast.  Aside from 2 days in the middle of the Atlantic when it was completely unusable, it was decent for cruise ship internet.  I'm optimistic that this drydock will include the installation of Starlink and it will be even better.  

The decision to book this cruise would have been much different without a thermal suite onboard.  But the beauty of a cold weather cruise will be a few days of hot tubbing in case they need to put some final touches on it.  

That's a very encouraging post!  We are still thinking about it.  You are right that there is little relaxing about planning out and acting out those days in ports.  On the other hand, they do of course bring excitement.  

In some ways, my biggest concern is the wife and being cut off from the world for a long time -- it has to do with having a very practical, personal responsibility.

And I agree with you about 'Howl at the Moon.'  I was just on the Epic Med cruise, and they were a very entertaining way to pass the time.

Well, we haven't decided yet -- maybe we'll meet there!

8 hours ago, ludalex said:

In some ways, my biggest concern is the wife and being cut off from the world for a long time -- it has to do with having a very practical, personal responsibility.

If that's the main concern, hopefully NCL gives some clarity on whether the drydock will include Starlink to make it an easier decision. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, ludalex said:

Hi everyone,

So thanks in advance,

Alex

I'm an experienced cruiser, but I wouldn't even take a post-dry-dock TA cruise if they gave me one.  As your first TA, it could be a disaster.  You cruise TAs to emerge on the other side relaxed and happy.  After the dry dock, you have no idea what will be finished, what will be left undone, what will be completed during your cruise.  The chances of infrastructure issues are far greater after a major refurb.  With no ports, you have to be self-sufficient with books and your devices.  Can't count on the internet to be more than adequate.  The weather could be magnificent or horrible, or any combination thereof.  I'd not book this TA as your first ... unless you're like me. I'd be happy to read a book all day, take a nice long walk through the ship from top to bottom, inside or out, and enjoy a nice meal.  Maybe just go crazy and see a show one night.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone,

I am extremely appreciative of all the messages.  They made us think, and we aren't going to take this cruise for several reasons.  The main ones are the season (too cold) and the fact that it will be just coming out of the dry dock.

However, we are very seriously considering another Transatlancic one:  April 7-19 on the Epic from Orlando to Rome with just two stops -- in Gibraltar and Alicante.  We were just on the Epic and quite liked the ship + it seems that April that far south should provide decent weather.

If anyone has any thoughts about this one, I would love to hear from you.  Especially in comparison with the February 'Joy' option.

Thanks again!!!

Alex

• Like 1

I've been on the Epic and enjoy it.  

One of the best thermal suites and gyms in the fleet, lots of great deck space, howl at the moon and I think I read somewhere that Starlink is live on the Epic.  The Epic has lots of haters, but I'm not one of them.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jules181 said:

I've been on the Epic and enjoy it.  

One of the best thermal suites and gyms in the fleet, lots of great deck space, howl at the moon and I think I read somewhere that Starlink is live on the Epic.  The Epic has lots of haters, but I'm not one of them.  

Thanks, we were just on it in October and agree with you.  There are some minuses, but mostly it's a perfectly good ship.  That's why we are seriously considering it.  I am wondering about the weather during that period on that itinerary.

They do have Starlink, but I just used the free limited Wifi, so I have no idea how well full access would have worked.  Would love to hear from someone who has used it on the Epic.

• 1 month later...

I've done a number of TA cruises in either direction but never done one with no ports of call or with NCL.

Does that worry me, not at all! I love being on the ship just relaxing either on my balcony, or up on deck watching the world go by.  Pottering about doing classes I'd never get  to do at home. Like beginners bridge,  Black Jack or poker in the casino (I  wouldn't dare play at the tables for real as I've no idea how to play seriously)

I'll be looking out for dancing of any kind and partaking in anything culinary based.

I take a stack of books (might read all or none of them depending on the company of fellow cruisers I meet)

I like being a bar fly at night time ( I've occasionally been spotted embibing  earlier in the day too!) Maybe either side of dinner or a show, but on NCL Dawn recently I found the entertainers in the bars were really good too.

I'm not one for hot tubs or spas but I do Try to walk 4 or 5 miles around the prom deck each morning.

As for sea  sickness  I'm very lucky, even on a fairly brutal 9 day crossing over the Behrens sea from Vladivostok to Anchorage I was fine, well, until I stood on dry land where my head and feet seemed to lose co-ordination for a while which made me a teeny bit nauseous.

Weather will  initially be cold to very cold in February depending on wind direction. Here in UK we've had an unusually wet and stormy winter so hope we've seen the back of that.

I'm guessing the Captain on NCL Joy will try to set a course that gets us South as quickly as possible into warmer weather hopefully by about day 3. Don't bank on that and pack lots of layers  and a woolly hat, scarf and gloves just in case!

As for the refurbishment, NCL have already announced that the thermal spa won't be  ready to open on our sailing, the normal spa will still be there along with hot tubs and pools on upper Decks. On the plus side the  American diner has been made complimentary and if you are lucky enough to be a Haven club passenger then I believe life on the "ship within a ship " is fabulous.

I am travelling on my own so will be heading for the solo travellers club on day 1.  On my inaugural solo cruise on NCL Dawn in October I loved meeting some wonderful people, even though we were a relatively small group we looked out for each other and had a lot of fun together.

So if other solo travellers are reading this I look forward to meeting you all there.

It'll  soon be time to check in and I must remember to reapply for my ESTA, it's a shame they are no longer renewable my current one expires 31st January 😥

Amanda

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The last time we took a TA which ended in the Caribbean area instead of NYC we went from Barcelona to New Orleans in November. The crossing was like a mill pond and the weather was great. We had 6 sea days from the Canaries to Grand Turk, but we were used to TAs. We were on our balcony every day.

The price is right for your cruise. Even a balcony wont cost too much.

We were actually tempted to do these 2 cruises on the Joy. Miami to Southhampton on Jan 11 for 11 days and then back on Feb 13. We could have travelled around the UK for those 3 weeks in between.

Edited by sailingships
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 5:09 PM, ludalex said:

what should we expect from unlimited WiFi package if we get it -- is streaming realistic?  I think Norwegian is using Starlink, and I was recently on the Epic in the Mediterranean.  We had a small amount of data, and the coverage wasn't bad but somewhat sporadic.

@ludalex The General Manager of the Joy confirmed that Starlink will be installed during the dry dock. In fact, most ships in the NCL fleet will have Starlink by end of 2024 and "all" by end of 2025.
The Starlink team is traveling with us and make prep work to have the system online for the return.

Also, access points for on-ship WiFi are being upgrade to improve coverage. Not aware of any additional cost once the link is upgraded. That's TBD.

As for the package, you will need the premium for VPN and streaming services. However, premium is NOT faster than basic, it simply unlocks those capabilities. I suggest using your free 150 mins for the first day, or as long as you can. The Internet package will drop progressively by $30 per day through day four. So long as you still have minutes in the free package you can then get the upgrade for unlimited access for the rest of the trip. DM me if you have questions.

Elements show,  Magician, Aerialists and Comedians will be with us on the return trip. They're all pretty good thus far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, bottsjw said:

@ludalex The General Manager of the Joy confirmed that Starlink will be installed during the dry dock. In fact, most ships in the NCL fleet will have Starlink by end of 2024 and "all" by end of 2025.
The Starlink team is traveling with us and make prep work to have the system online for the return.

Also, access points for on-ship WiFi are being upgrade to improve coverage. Not aware of any additional cost once the link is upgraded. That's TBD.

As for the package, you will need the premium for VPN and streaming services. However, premium is NOT faster than basic, it simply unlocks those capabilities. I suggest using your free 150 mins for the first day, or as long as you can. The Internet package will drop progressively by $30 per day through day four. So long as you still have minutes in the free package you can then get the upgrade for unlimited access for the rest of the trip. DM me if you have questions.

Elements show,  Magician, Aerialists and Comedians will be with us on the return trip. They're all pretty good thus far.

Thanks very much for these tips.  After all the previous info and advice, we have adjusted our Transatlantic plans to the Epic (again):  Orlando to Rome on April 7-19.  The weather is going to be better than in February, and the price was very attractive.  We didn't particularly want to go back on the Epic just 6 months later, but we're fine with it.  We know what to expect, and there will be a couple of ports along the way.  We are looking forward to it!