Brazil visa

PRH

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

@millybess - lot's of concern on the Regent board as well. It may be useful to follow that one for additional insight (if you are not already). 🍺🥌

Thanks for that!  Misery loves company lol.  

New this morning:  I have 12 hours to send them a new photo that shows both my ears.  

Another tidbit of information, the website now states that you need a visa if you are arriving by air. We don’t think this was on the website at the beginning of this process, PLUS we did get an email from Viking informing us that we would require this visa. 

This reminds me of trying times we had in 2022 to get into Chile and get a "mobility pass". Covid!

We were not even allowed into Brazil or the Falklands.  It took forever and there was NO help to navigate their strange requests.  We also had to present proof of insurance  coverage in case we got sick. 

This time I am Not sure seeing the Iguassu Falls on Brazil's side for a few hours is worth the hassle.

I loveketo....we did that cruise and had a wonderful time...we had $$$$ vouchers from Covid cancellations so we continured on once we reached Barcelona and went to Bergen and then back to Amsterdam.  We had a terrific time, felt very safe at the beginning of the cruise with masking and daily testing....but when the restrictions were removed Covid came aboard and there were many in quarantine but we managed to stay healthy!!  It was a great way to spend 2 months aboard the Viking Jupiter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, deec said:

This reminds me of trying times we had in 2022 to get into Chile and get a "mobility pass". Covid!

We were not even allowed into Brazil or the Falklands.  It took forever and there was NO help to navigate their strange requests.  We also had to present proof of insurance  coverage in case we got sick. 

This time I am Not sure seeing the Iguassu Falls on Brazil's side for a few hours is worth the hassle.

I loveketo....we did that cruise and had a wonderful time...we had $$$$ vouchers from Covid cancellations so we continured on once we reached Barcelona and went to Bergen and then back to Amsterdam.  We had a terrific time, felt very safe at the beginning of the cruise with masking and daily testing....but when the restrictions were removed Covid came aboard and there were many in quarantine but we managed to stay healthy!!  It was a great way to spend 2 months aboard the Viking Jupiter!

I think that they are quietly relaxing the rules. We’ve done a little digging and certainly both Viking and GenVisa still think the visa is required when arriving by sea.  Fingers crossed that you will be able to go to the falls. Again, we’ll see what tomorrow brings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We wanted to cross the border with a private tour company form one side of the falls to the other...I wonder if there will be a way to do that?  I think we will be staying on the Argentina side but those of you with cruises is another matter, you sure don't want to miss multiple ports.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deec said:

We wanted to cross the border with a private tour company form one side of the falls to the other...I wonder if there will be a way to do that?  I think we will be staying on the Argentina side but those of you with cruises is another matter, you sure don't want to miss multiple ports.

What Viking told us is that we would not be allowed to board without the Brazil visa—even if we do not intend to get off the ship at the Brazil stops.  We’ll give it a month to see how it plays out.

11 minutes ago, PRH said:

What Viking told us is that we would not be allowed to board without the Brazil visa—even if we do not intend to get off the ship at the Brazil stops.  We’ll give it a month to see how it plays out.

We fly out of Brazil, so we have no choice.  

This morning I passed into the "Quality Control" zone.  We'll see what happens from there.  

32 minutes ago, deec said:

We wanted to cross the border with a private tour company form one side of the falls to the other...I wonder if there will be a way to do that?

That is exactly what we hope to do and I am working through the Visa process now after getting requests to resubmit some documents.  I will post again after things get resolved.

I am taking an MSC Cruise out of Buenos Aires, leaving January 6, 2024 and returning to Buenos Aires on January 14. There are three ports in Brazil on this cruise, on January 9, 10, and 11. The visa requirement goes into effect on January 10, so in theory people who first enter Brazilian waters on January 9 should be okay. Of course, I would hate to fly all the way down to Argentina only to be denied boarding. The MSC Cruise website says I need the visa and cannot just remain on the ship while in port (I wouldn't want to anyway). The visa processing company that seems to be contracted by the Brazilian government (VFS Global) informed me by email that I am not eligible for a visa because they are only for "Americans, Australians, and Canadians traveling to Brazil by air," not for cruise or land boarder crossing. So MSC says I need a visa, but the people who process the Brazilian visas say I can't get one. I have literally contacted each Brazilian consulate location in the United States by email and phone. The emails go without reply and there is no option to speak to a representative by phone - they just refer me to their website or ask me to email. There is nothing but contradictory information on the websites and no one who can answer definitively. I've considered taking a day off work and driving the 2 hours from Albany to the Brazilian Consulate in New York City, but am afraid that I would end up getting the run-around there too (if I can even get in to speak to a person). Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had any luck with this? I foresee a very messy embarkation process for all the Canadians, Americans, and Australians who are on this cruise!

3 minutes ago, Cruise New York said:

I am taking an MSC Cruise out of Buenos Aires, leaving January 6, 2024 and returning to Buenos Aires on January 14. There are three ports in Brazil on this cruise, on January 9, 10, and 11. The visa requirement goes into effect on January 10, so in theory people who first enter Brazilian waters on January 9 should be okay. Of course, I would hate to fly all the way down to Argentina only to be denied boarding. The MSC Cruise website says I need the visa and cannot just remain on the ship while in port (I wouldn't want to anyway). The visa processing company that seems to be contracted by the Brazilian government (VFS Global) informed me by email that I am not eligible for a visa because they are only for "Americans, Australians, and Canadians traveling to Brazil by air," not for cruise or land boarder crossing. So MSC says I need a visa, but the people who process the Brazilian visas say I can't get one. I have literally contacted each Brazilian consulate location in the United States by email and phone. The emails go without reply and there is no option to speak to a representative by phone - they just refer me to their website or ask me to email. There is nothing but contradictory information on the websites and no one who can answer definitively. I've considered taking a day off work and driving the 2 hours from Albany to the Brazilian Consulate in New York City, but am afraid that I would end up getting the run-around there too (if I can even get in to speak to a person). Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had any luck with this? I foresee a very messy embarkation process for all the Canadians, Americans, and Australians who are on this cruise!

So far, I know of no one who has obtained the visa, but many who are trying.  According to GenVisa (an American company that we don't use, but many cruise lines do use) you must have the visa upon arrival by sea or air.  I didn't ask about land.

We have applied for 2 visas.  One of them passed "Quality Control", which we assume means the documents have been deemed acceptable (finally) and the application has been passed on to the Brazilian Immigration Department.  According to the website, that process could take another 5 business days.

We have a consulate in Toronto that we have been in touch with.  They are very responsive via email, but not really helpful because the visa service has been contracted out to a company in India? Singapore?  If you are seriously considering a visit to the consulate in NYC, I would definitely call first.  You might have to set up an appointment.

Please post back with any developments.

50 minutes ago, millybess said:

So far, I know of no one who has obtained the visa, but many who are trying.  According to GenVisa (an American company that we don't use, but many cruise lines do use) you must have the visa upon arrival by sea or air.  I didn't ask about land.

We have applied for 2 visas.  One of them passed "Quality Control", which we assume means the documents have been deemed acceptable (finally) and the application has been passed on to the Brazilian Immigration Department.  According to the website, that process could take another 5 business days.

We have a consulate in Toronto that we have been in touch with.  They are very responsive via email, but not really helpful because the visa service has been contracted out to a company in India? Singapore?  If you are seriously considering a visit to the consulate in NYC, I would definitely call first.  You might have to set up an appointment.

Please post back with any developments.

Thank you for your reply! The issue I am having is that the visa application requires me to upload my round-trip flight itinerary, showing the airport(s) in Brazil in which I am flying into/out of. My round-trip flight is from Montreal to Buenos Aires and back, since the cruise starts and ends in Buenos Aires. We will only be in Brazil for the ports of call, so we will just be getting off and on the ship (no Brazilian airports). This leads me to believe that the visa processors are correct that we do not need the visa. However, this is contrary MSC Cruise's website, which indicates we will need the visa in order to board. 

4 minutes ago, Cruise New York said:

Thank you for your reply! The issue I am having is that the visa application requires me to upload my round-trip flight itinerary, showing the airport(s) in Brazil in which I am flying into/out of. My round-trip flight is from Montreal to Buenos Aires and back, since the cruise starts and ends in Buenos Aires. We will only be in Brazil for the ports of call, so we will just be getting off and on the ship (no Brazilian airports). This leads me to believe that the visa processors are correct that we do not need the visa. However, this is contrary MSC Cruise's website, which indicates we will need the visa in order to board. 

Having looked into your situation a little further, it is possible you don't need the visa because, as you pointed out, you will be arriving on the 9th.  But if MSC requires you to have the visa, I would try to straighten that out with them because you might not be allowed to board.

I'll see if I can get any more information.

27 minutes ago, Cruise New York said:

This is from August 2023:

The measure will now take effect on and after the 10th of January 2024. Until then, the exemption will remain valid, meaning that those entering before 09/01/2024 are still exempt from a Visit Visa, even if they leave after 10/01/2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaixada-camberra/English/visitor-visas-for-citizens-from-australia-canada-and-the-united-states-of-america

But you'll still have to sort this out with MSC.

• Like 1

Wow - thank you! The wording of that is still a bit confusing to me. The measure will take effect on January 10, 2024, but I would be exempt from it if I enter before September 1, 2024?

I have called two visa processing companies today. One said I should be fine (not super reassuring). The other one (GenVisa, which you suggested) was very understanding, but expressed that they were in the same situation and had several clients who are traveling by cruise into Brazil in January. They are not sure if they need a visa or if they are even eligible for the eVisa since they are not entering Brazil by air. Apparently they have also requested clarification from the Brazilian government and have not heard back. So they, too, are in a holding pattern with their clients. 

1 minute ago, Cruise New York said:

Wow - thank you! The wording of that is still a bit confusing to me. The measure will take effect on January 10, 2024, but I would be exempt from it if I enter before September 1, 2024?

I have called two visa processing companies today. One said I should be fine (not super reassuring). The other one (GenVisa, which you suggested) was very understanding, but expressed that they were in the same situation and had several clients who are traveling by cruise into Brazil in January. They are not sure if they need a visa or if they are even eligible for the eVisa since they are not entering Brazil by air. Apparently they have also requested clarification from the Brazilian government and have not heard back. So they, too, are in a holding pattern with their clients. 

No, that wasn't my takeaway.  You would be exempt if you arrive before January 9, but leave after January 10.

The info we received from GenVisa yesterday was that it was required for sea and air.  So now everyone's confused eh?😊

We are arriving by sea and departing by air.  Today my application was bumped up to "Recommended by GFS" to the Brazilian government.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise New York said:

09/01/2024 is Jan 09, not Sep 01.  Brazil (and many countries) go with dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy.

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, thank you! I even knew this, having lived in Mexico, but my American eyes still can't see that for anything but September 1!

And, yes, GenVisa was confused today by the requirement. At least the agent I spoke with and the colleagues she consulted while I was on hold. Maybe it was because I am arriving by sea and departing by sea. In either case, the application requires proof of round-trip air travel and explicitly says that it must list a Brazilian airport. 

I wouldn't be so worried if my cruise was in March or April, but I fly out on January 2 and the cruise departs on January 6 - so that doesn't leave much time for processing a visa, if one is required.

The consulate in NYC does not have an option to speak with anyone by phone, so I don't think I can make an appointment. If the one in Toronto is more responsive, I suppose I could drive out there to see if they can help me. That would be better than flying to Argentina and not being able to board the ship!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

When Linda and I visited Brazil in 2000, we arrived in the country in a rather interesting way -- we walked. First we flew to the Argentine side of Iguacu falls, toured around, and spent the night. The next day, we took a taxi to the border crossing so we could walk across and visit the Brazilian side of the falls. From there we flew to Rio.

Edited by SJD117

1 hour ago, millybess said:

@Cruise New York this is off topic, but are you flying nonstop from Montreal to Buenos Aires and returning to Montreal nonstop?

No, the flight has a layover in Santo Domingo. I would usually fly out of Boston or one of the NYC airports, but there is a new airline (Arajet) that had round-trip flights between Montreal and Buenos Aires for only $700. That was half the price of Boston/NYC, so it seemed worth the 3.5 hour drive to Montreal to save that much!

• Thanks 1

I received a reply from the Brazil eVisa team (below). It looks like people on cruises don’t need the visa:

Thank you for contacting the Brazil E-visa Helpdesk

Based on the information provided, if you'll be traveling on a cruise or crossing the border by land, an Electronic Visa (eVisa) is not applicable.”

13 minutes ago, Cruise New York said:

I received a reply from the Brazil eVisa team (below). It looks like people on cruises don’t need the visa:

Thank you for contacting the Brazil E-visa Helpdesk

Based on the information provided, if you'll be traveling on a cruise or crossing the border by land, an Electronic Visa (eVisa) is not applicable.”

Thanks for this.  There seems to be a lot of confusion. I’ll be on a cruise and they have referred my application. We have been following other CC threads and many people who will be arriving on a cruise before us have also had their completed applications referred. 

Viking told us we would need the visa. MSC told you you would need the visa. If you are in conversation with MSC about this email, any further developments would be of great interest to many on Cruise Critic. 

7 hours ago, deec said:

we're doing the same, with GateOne. we start in Rio, fly to Iguassu Falls, Brazil. then we travel by bus to Iguassu Falls, Argentina and fly from there to Buenos Aires, and start our cruise there.