what's the point of picking your dining time...

16 hours ago, Tatka said:

We originally in 2007(?) started doing MTD because we wanted tables for 2. Times were good, but we wanted tables for two. Our son was rarely attending dinners and several times we had weird matches. We would go back to 6:30 Traditional if we had our table for 2. I am afraid many people now also want a table for two and this won't be possible. (Cultural changes... just like back then we all fought if jeans were not appropriate for Dining room and now it is shorts, not jeans)

We can still get a table for two each time we ask.  Though the "tables for two" are a mere couple of inches away from each other.  😣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We can still get a table for two each time we ask.  Though the "tables for two" are a mere couple of inches away from each other.  😣

We always get table for two... but we do not have 6:30 traditional time.

Just now, island lady said:

6:30?   

Yes. Now traditional times are on various ships are 5 and 8 or 5:30 and 8:30.

Too early and too late for us. 6:30 would be much better, This + a table for 2 and we would not need to have MTD.

• Like 1

Just now, Tatka said:

Yes. Now traditional times are on various ships are 5 and 8 or 5:30 and 8:30.

Too early and too late for us. 6:30 would be much better, This + a table for 2 and we would not need to have MTD.

Indeed, we used to love 6-6:30 time frame and had that working well many years ago when MTD first came out and was a dedicated separate deck.    But now....(IMHO) MTD is such a failed program, we book first traditional seating at 5-5:30 (indeed times are different with each ship).   8 pm way too late for us.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed, we used to love 6-6:30 time frame and had that working well many years ago when MTD first came out and was a dedicated separate deck.    But now....(IMHO) MTD is such a failed program, we book first traditional seating at 5-5:30 (indeed times are different with each ship).   8 pm way too late for us.  

It's a real shame. That took something that was working and broke it.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, island lady said:

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

It's a real shame. That took something that was working and broke it.

Amen!!!!  Hopefully they are getting enough negative feedback to change it back eventually. It was just so much better before, for years and years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Is this problem with the MTD more in the larger, new ships? I have not cruised on those larger ships, but I remember that MTD in the Voyager class ships worked well. 

Jewel set up was one of the worst I have ever seen.  Every night a very long line of grouchy pax waiting for a table.  Was very happy to have first traditional.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Jewel set up was one of the worst I have ever seen.  Every night a very long line of grouchy pax waiting for a table.  Was very happy to have first traditional.  

Yes, we had that experience on Jewel.  It was made worse because that dining room has a single entry/exit.  By the time each side of that entry hallway is lined by queued MTD folks (reservations on one side, no reservations on the other) there is only a narrow middle aisle for those exiting the MDR, those returning from rest rooms and people trying joining their MTD friends already in line.  It can get too crowded, increasing the grumpiness.  

If Royal would get it’s IT up to snuff, that issue would be solved with a virtual queue with MTD signaling for tables via the app and if there is a delay waiting comfortably in a bar on their balcony until being notified via app that their table was ready.  Also traditional diners could have the option to RSVP, so when they have other plans the seats could immediately be released for MTD diners.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If Royal would get it’s IT up to snuff, that issue would be solved with a virtual queue with MTD signaling for tables via the app 

carnival does this with their mtd/your time dinning and its amazing. i wish all cruise lines have it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Is this problem with the MTD more in the larger, new ships? I have not cruised on those larger ships, but I remember that MTD in the Voyager class ships worked well. 

All ships.  The process is the same. 

They are filling tables between first and second seating, rather than the old way of dedicating space for MTD and having it truly open all hours that the MDR was open.

Not only does it make for crazy long lines for the MTD folks, it's forcing early seating to be too early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went in August and had a confirmed 5:30 traditional time and when we got on board, they changed us to my time dining. Was told the on shore people overbook all the time and not their problem. I prefer same time same table every night and had to wait in long lines. We ended up eating buffet all but two nights which was ok but ruined some of the normal experience. We went on Norwegian in June and I thought I would hate their freestyle dining but we were able to get seated quickly every night and enjoyed it. Overall, we still prefer Royal but if they screw it up on our cruise next July, we will switch to NCL. 

• Like 1