MSC Dress Code For Dinner

Luvtoeat

When we first started cruising maybe 45 years ago it was tuxes and gowns at dinner. 6-7 years ago on NCL I wore shorts every night in one of the dining rooms that allowed shorts..

Last 4-5 cruises on Celebrity I wore jeans every night. I know the printed dress code and what is allowed don't always agree and can vary from ship to ship.

We will be on the Seashore in fantastica. 

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I walked out of the MDR behind a family of three. The dad was wearing cargo shorts, flip flops, and a polo shirt.

When we sailed our first time in 2006, this is exactly what turned us off cruising. We waited 10 years to try again on NCL in their Owner's Suites and still saw people in cargo shorts with wallets on chains in the specialty restaurants. Once we found MSC YC, we knew we were in a different place. Just like our land holidays in Italy, people in YC dress to "dine" and we love it! 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We waited 10 years to try again on NCL in their Owner's Suites and still saw people in cargo shorts with wallets on chains in the specialty restaurants.

NCL's dress code allows shorts and t-shirts in most specialty restaurants.

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Just like our land holidays in Italy, people in YC dress to "dine" and we love it! 🙂

There's no guarantee that you won't see people wearing shorts in the Yacht Club for dinner.

45 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There's no guarantee that you won't see people wearing shorts in the Yacht Club for dinner.

And I know -- but the cargo shorts with a wallet on a chain are at least less likely. And we've been lucky so far,  versus what we experienced on NCL

Edited by Best Cat Mom

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I genuinely cannot understand how what other people are wearing can put people off their food. Why does it matter?

It only matters when we're trying to have a special occasion together. Kinda like expecting a heightened experience and winding up in an Italian cafeteria-type experience. The two are totally different scenarios and we're picking the one we want. Don't get me wrong, the Italian cafeteria choice has its place, but it's usually not YC.

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I genuinely cannot understand how what other people are wearing can put people off their food. Why does it matter?

Because people don't pay large sums of money to dine around those who have no clue about how to behave in nicer places.

When you pay $10k/pp on a line like Ritz, you expect people to couth up.

Sadly, money doesn't always buy one class.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I guess I just don't get the connection between attire and behavior. I have seen men in tuxes acting like complete asses and people in beach attire behaving completely politely and civilly. 

I totally agree.  If this is such a big issue ....Cruise lines should make the appropriate dress code mandatory (instead of suggested)and enforce it by not allowing entrance to dining rooms.... Also when they say no ball caps, colorless shirts, flipflops, etc.... enforce it!!  I love how people love to criticize and put their 2 cents in yet it doesn't make a difference. Its the cruiselines who have control and they obviously don't care or choose not to enforce.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

.... For me, dressing up makes me feel fake and uncomfortable. I just get grumpy and all I can think about is getting back into comfortable clothes....

No problem, that is why there is a buffet.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, neptuno said:

No problem, that is why there is a buffet.

I'll just stick to cruise lines that let me dress comfortably for dinner in the MDR.

PS: I don't even own a pair of shorts or flip flops, but I am not deeply offended by anyone who does and chooses to wear them while on vacation.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 5

And this is why I choose elevated experiences when I travel.  Ritz, YC, Haven, Aman, Four Seasons, etc.

No, people aren't wearing a tux to dinner, but they don't look like schlubs either.

With most things in life, there's a time and place for everything.  Since COVID, people are showing up in public wearing things they should only be wearing in the privacy of their own home.  It's funny, actually, and a little sad. 

It's the level of entitlement people feel that they can dress however they want, rules and atmosphere be damned.  It's selfish, quite frankly.

Either respect the space or go somewhere else.  Not everything is for everyone.

Edited by benjaminnicholas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

And this is why I choose elevated experiences when I travel.  Ritz, YC, Haven, Aman, Four Seasons, etc.

No, people aren't wearing a tux to dinner, but they don't look like schlubs either.

With most things in life, there's a time and place for everything.  Since COVID, people are showing up in public wearing things they should only be wearing in the privacy of their own home.  It's funny, actually, and a little sad. 

It's the level of entitlement people feel that they can dress however they want, rules and atmosphere be damned.  It's selfish, quite frankly.

Either respect the space or go somewhere else.  Not everything is for everyone.

To me, it is selfish to dictate what other people should wear. As long as they behave themselves and are respectful to staff, who cares what they are wearing. It is truly absurd to think that what someone else is wearing would impact your experience. I mean, don't show up in a wet bathing suit that will ruin the furniture or anything truly scandalous that children shouldn't be subjected to and that is about the limit of how one's dress should impact others.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

And to me, it's uncouth when people don't understand the environment they're in.

I feel sorry for you that your life is so negatively impacted by the appearance of others. It truly must be a miserable existence. The BEHAVIOR of others, I can understand, but to be offended by the the appearance of others must be truly challenging.

• Like 3

No surprise this derailed.  Much like food, subjective subject.  

We saw at least three turn aways at YC restaurant couple weeks ago.  One couple constantly looked like they rolled out of bed.  Went to dinner got turned back.  They were cussing going down the stairs.  Could have been a Clampett, who knows.  Or maybe airline pilot.  I grew up in community where most folks were pilots.  Even have two in the family.  They are horrible in dress generally.

Even for me, sloppy not acceptable.  Another couple was late 30s and could be models.   Think it was holes in her jeans.  Next night they were dressed to the hilt and could have been on a stage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I feel sorry for you that your life is so negatively impacted by the appearance of others. It truly must be a miserable existence. The BEHAVIOR of others, I can understand, but to be offended by the the appearance of others must be truly challenging.

It's not challenging at all. I can afford to control most of the environments I'm in. 

Like right now, as I post this from the YC on the Mera.  Everyone in TopSail is dressed nicely, no flip flops, no yelling and screaming, peaceful.

I pick my battles and it serves me wisely.

Edited by benjaminnicholas

2 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

It's not challenging at all. I can afford to control most of the environments I'm in. 

Like right now, as I post this from the YC on the Mera.  Everyone in TopSail is dressed nicely, no flip flops, no yelling and screaming, peaceful.

Yelling and screaming are COMPLETELY different animals. Cussing, yelling, screaming, smoking, etc. are disruptive BEHAVIOR.

2 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

Ok, maybe a little full disclosure.  If you are in TSL now, there are probably no more than seven people there excluding staff. 

Has the weather been nice enough to use pool area food and bar, guessing yes since you went south?

Have you seen Duncan the YCD?  We saw him for a total of one minute going between doors over ten days.  Very odd.