Question for recent visitors to Turkish ports

mrlevin

I don't think that Regent would ever make such a recommendation, they would probably provide some insight regarding the current situation within each port and advice each person to use their own judgment.

Seeing what is going on in the news, esp following the foreign press which is providing greater coverage than the US press, I would not be going to Turkey right now, and Turkey is one of my favorite countries. My name easily identifies myself as Jewish and I would not want to be an easy target.

I was once employed at a multi national corporation and traveled a great bit - we were required to take security awareness classes, sometimes for specific countries and more than once my travel plans were derailed because my company did not want me traveling to areas of the world that were targeting Jewish individuals.

We were in Izmir (third largest city in Turkey) on Navigator in mid October. No warnings from Regent and, IMO, would have been totally unnecessary in this case. It was a very relaxed place, nothing politically going on, people just enjoying themselves strolling along the waterfront or shopping at the bazaar.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BBWC said:

We were in Izmir (third largest city in Turkey) on Navigator in mid October. No warnings from Regent and, IMO, would have been totally unnecessary in this case. It was a very relaxed place, nothing politically going on, people just enjoying themselves strolling along the waterfront or shopping at the bazaar.

In the last week, there have been a number of very ugly incidents, mostly in Istanbul but also in areas frequented by Israeli tourists, such as Antalya which is a short flight away from Israel.

Also was on Splendor cruise with the two port stops, Bodrum and Kusadasi.  We only had to show our ship card to get on or off the ship for tours or shopping.  So no easy way for anyone to know nationality or other individual passenger characteristics in these ports.  Felt no different than other ports we stopped at in terms of safety.

• Like 1

Tensions are running high in many parts of the world - we too have had (mainly peaceful) demonstrations in the UK, however, sensible precautions should mean you are able to enjoy your port stops.

So wherever you are in the world and whilst off the ship, follow the usual guidance to appear less like tourists (no standing in the middle of the street with a map open or oblivious to the world on your phone), avoid large crowds (not always possible in tourist areas), making yourself as inconspicuous as possible so keeping voices down (you know there are some people you hear before you see 😜), not voicing opinions with regards to the current situation (many people in tourist areas understand English so you are bound to offend someone) and finally avoiding any obvious, external indicators of any faith (as per @bitob)

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:25 AM, wcsdkqh said:

Just left two Turkish ports on Splendor. Absolutely no issues going ashore and felt totally safe

On 11/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, CruisetheCs said:

Also was on Splendor cruise with the two port stops, Bodrum and Kusadasi.  We only had to show our ship card to get on or off the ship for tours or shopping.  So no easy way for anyone to know nationality or other individual passenger characteristics in these ports.  Felt no different than other ports we stopped at in terms of safety.

On the same cruise.  The only interest of anyone ashore in Bodrum or Kusadasi we noted is trying to get you to spend money in their shop or restaurant.  The areas cruise passengers frequent are well used to tourists and see us as their livelihood.  As others have said, I wouldn't advertise my nationality or religion nor engage in political dialogue (none of which I'd ever do while traveling overseas) but those you will encounter in the ports also have an interest in keeping politics out of economics.

• Like 7