Gratuities on board

dylan400d

On 11/3/2023 at 6:22 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Yes it can be done.  But remember the staff supported by the tipping pool goes well beyond the staff you come into contact with daily.  We may not like it but tips pool makes up the majority of the compensation of many non officer staff.

To clarify this even more- it is simply impossible to remove auto gratuities and tip everyone who is covered by the scheme.

The current grats of $18 per day for a standard room are divided as follows:

dining and culinary services $10.81

Housekeeping $5.19

other hotel services (eg laundry) $2.00

For Aqua housekeeping is increased to $5.69

For Suites

Dining and Culinary increased to $11.60

Housekeeping is $5.31

Suite Services $4.09

other Hotel services $2.0

These figures are available from Guest Relations on every ship.

None of the tips are held by X

All tips are paid per ship per cruise (not like Princess which spreads tips across the fleet).

Any one removing the auto tips does so in the clear knowledge/understanding that it reduces the pay of many of the staff who work hard to give them a great vacation.

Edited by the penguins
Typo

We always pay gratuities in advance and usually give extra in cash , during or at the end of the cruise. 
In 15 cruises give or take , there has only been one time where we were extremely disappointed with our cabin steward, that said the extra gratuity we we usually pay was minimal.

On 11/3/2023 at 7:22 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Yes it can be done.  But remember the staff supported by the tipping pool goes well beyond the staff you come into contact with daily.  We may not like it but tips pool makes up the majority of the compensation of many non officer staff.

IMG_1762.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 11/4/2023 at 6:12 AM, mickey89 said:

The problem with auto-tips is that the staff still expect you to tip them again.........

This is very true,  and a very debatable issue. I've witnessed it several times, them looking for the extra from others, and have felt the uncomfortableness, of having a waiter stand there Waiting, when gratuities are covered in advance.  We just happen to tip the extra to the room attendant, and the waiter each night in the specialty restaurants. As well as our favorite bar service.   Our choice.  Many do not feel the same way. Add in the trending pattern of Nickel and diming, with some cutbacks, and that doesn't sit well with folks either.  Now with the way they are raising the per person charges, I'm sure there will be less of the extra cash being handed over to the waiters, attendants, etc. 

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Oh great, another thread about how passengers should pay crew salaries instead of the employer.

Of course customers always pay the salaries of employees.  The beef seems to be how it is done.   I just treat the grats as if they are part of the fare.  Mission accomplished.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Oh great, another thread about how passengers should pay crew salaries instead of the employer.

I'm not sure who else is paying their salaries? Whether it's from the cruise fare or a gratuity, the passengers are paying either way. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 3:15 AM, dylan400d said:

Why don't they include them in the price if that's the case? 

I suspect among other things there are a whole bunch of financial reporting benefits to having gratuities as opposed to salary expenses.  

38 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'm not sure who else is paying their salaries? Whether it's from the cruise fare or a gratuity, the passengers are paying either way. 

Yes we are.  Those that pull the grats are getting a discount I guess.   I wonder what percentage of passengers on average pull the gratuities.   I have no idea other than remembering all the empty seats on tip night during the old envelope days.   

55 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes we are.  Those that pull the grats are getting a discount I guess.   I wonder what percentage of passengers on average pull the gratuities.   I have no idea other than remembering all the empty seats on tip night during the old envelope days.   

Envelopes are still available at  Guest Services.  I have noticed that the lines at Guest Services were quite long on the last day to remove the tips. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

Why do they not price gratuities into the fare and make it simple.P& O do in the U.K

I agree with this. Include tips as standard and say they cannot be removed! We generally tip a bit extra anyway and see it as a bonus for the staff. 

17 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

I agree with this. Include tips as standard and say they cannot be removed! We generally tip a bit extra anyway and see it as a bonus for the staff. 

I think you would have to get the US Federal government involved to have tips, taxes and port fee put into the base price 

I think the cruise lines are scared people may just book the cheapest looking trip as people are unable to compare break down the price by themselves 

• Thanks 1

It is also possible to tip extra through guest services for specific personnel. Celebrity has a form to complete, all you need is staff name, venue/position, and add an amount to be charged to your account. We have left additional gratuities this way, as well as used up onboard credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I typically tip very well when going out to eat, but I don’t really know tipping etiquette on cruise ships yet…Hoping to be enlightened! I’ve always given the bartender a few extra dollars when I order drinks (they seem to remember). I plan on tipping my room steward, but not sure what is appropriate. I booked a SS so I’m not sure how I feel about their lead butler model and if they should be tipped as well? Is a 50 dollar tip for a  5 night cruise cheap? I really don’t know and would like to hear what others do… I honestly don’t think I will tip at specialty restaurants and the  spa because I’ve already paid 20% gratuity but at the same time, don’t wanna be a jerk. I personally think tipping culture in America has gotten out of hand but I do respect and appreciate all the service workers and I know they work hard.

4 hours ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

Why do they not price gratuities into the fare and make it simple.P& O do in the U.K

It was that way with the "all included" fare package. That  included  grats, classic alcohol  and basic wifi ( which many do not need or want) in the fare.

Recently,   pricing has changed and grats are no longer part of that. The grats are added per day depending on  cabin type booked.  Doubtful fares were reduced to compensate for the change so it increases the actual fare!

Our current bookings are all under the all inc plan..so we do not have to deal with daily grat added to our on board acct

.. I think folks can prepay(?) but the grats  they are extra for new bookings.

40 minutes ago, Shellyd22 said:

I typically tip very well when going out to eat, but I don’t really know tipping etiquette on cruise ships yet…Hoping to be enlightened! I’ve always given the bartender a few extra dollars when I order drinks (they seem to remember). I plan on tipping my room steward, but not sure what is appropriate. I booked a SS so I’m not sure how I feel about their lead butler model and if they should be tipped as well? Is a 50 dollar tip for a  5 night cruise cheap? I really don’t know and would like to hear what others do… I honestly don’t think I will tip at specialty restaurants and the  spa because I’ve already paid 20% gratuity but at the same time, don’t wanna be a jerk. I personally think tipping culture in America has gotten out of hand but I do respect and appreciate all the service workers and I know they work hard.

we no longer tip extra at spa or specialty.. and maybe extra to the sommelier who gets a fee per drink/ btl..  20% is the new norm on board so we  will stick to that..  if you buy products at the spa they also add that as a svc chg..

For drink service  we tip cash extra as we go.

In BLU, we will tip $50 to the "team"  via maitre d.

We are not booking Suite class anymore, so we have no opinion or clue on what to do now that you  do not  have  an assigned butler .  We tipped our Butler when we had a SS   but that was before the changes.

it is thoughtful of you to try to figure this out ahead!

1 hour ago, Shellyd22 said:

According to Cruise Critic if you are not tipping 200% of your cruise fare, then you are a heartless, cold, selfish person.

Every company pays salaries through income received from customers.  That is nothing new.  It doesn’t mean I’m going to pay 20% gratuity on my Big Mac meal.

We have always paid gratuities and a little more.  We aren’t going to start paying 35% because “Celebrity doesn’t pay their wages.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Who do you think pays now?  Passengers pay for everything.  No passengers, no cruise line.  

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

According to Cruise Critic if you are not tipping 200% of your cruise fare, then you are a heartless, cold, selfish person.

Got a link to where anyone has said that?  I know you're exaggerating, but come on....

The consensus here is the most people don't like the idea of cruisers removing the daily gratuities...that's really it.  Tip extra or not..that is what I'm seeing here.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

Hi all, 

We will never agree on this subject. For me I don't agree that any company let alone a multi billion pound corporation has the right to ask me to pay  Staff appreciation to help top up their wages. Why oh why do we even consider that this is acceptable behaviour. Why am I made to feel or even be told on this site that I am a bad person if I pay $6000 for a cruise in a basic balcony cabin and remove any staff appreciation. Why is that blame not clearly sent packing in the direction of the Corporation who employed  these staff. We all know they work hard. Well guess what. So do I in fact I have worked hard my whole life. A 12 hour day is nothing abnormal to me and never has been. I apply for the job and work hard at being recognised as someone they can not do without. I hit my targets and beyond and then I ask for a pay rise.

Its always perplexed me as to why we allow this to happen and why the USA allows fat cat corporations to get away with paying cents. Rather than the going rate with the opportunity to progress within the company. I assume the later does indeed present itself but you guys need to stop blaming the likes of me for removing this and yet say not a single word to the likes of Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Don't even get me going on the 18-20% gratuity added to each drink. What on this planet is that about. $10-15 for 1 glass of wine poured from a bottle I can buy in my own super market for $8 and then I'm given no choice but to pay a gratuity. 

Before I  go. When I am in the US I get on the HOHO bus to discover this great new city I find myself in. There's never any earphones. But there is a guide who has self taught themselves everything about the route we are taking. This person constantly reminds me that they don't get paid by the bus company and proceeds to get off at every stop again reminding me that he gets no wages from the bus company that have invested in jack points and software that will deliver in detail and 6 different languages, everything I need to know. and they & the driver will share these very much appreciated tips. So yes I tip because I'm British and feel embarrassed to walk past and ignore. Do I want to. NO. The same journey happens in Europe. The earphones are worn by all including our US friends and to date I have never witnessed one single person tipping that driver.  If I want to chat to my wife and enjoy the view in peace I take off my earphones We pay our fair we Hop on & Off as instructed and we are happy. The driver gets paid the going rate and they too are happy. 

That I am aware of. Not one single hotel in the whole of Europe asks that we pay a staff appreciation. certainly not one I have stayed at in my 60 years. 

Thanks 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hcat said:

It was that way with the "all included" fare package. That  included  grats, classic alcohol  and basic wifi ( which many do not need or want) in the fare.

Recently,   pricing has changed and grats are no longer part of that. The grats are added per day depending on  cabin type booked.  Doubtful fares were reduced to compensate for the change so it increases the actual fare!

Our current bookings are all under the all inc plan..so we do not have to deal with daily grat added to our on board acct

.. I think folks can prepay(?) but the grats  they are extra for new bookings.

You can pre pay the grats or they will be added to your onboard account every day. If you have any OBC the grats will be deducted from that on a daily basis starting with any “non refundable”.

There is no pressure to pay over and above the standard grats although many choose to do so depending on the level of service (we generally pay something to our waiter, assistant waiter and room steward although not the steward on our last cruise).

The daily tips are apportioned as detailed earlier in this thread.