Carnival's "Self Assist" program

Can someone who has done the "self assist" program for the disembarkation process please explain to me how this works? When do you pass through customs? Do we set our luggage outside of our cabin? We have a 10 hour drive back home after our cruise and we were wanting to get back on the road as quickly as possible. Is the "self assist" program worth taking advantage of? Thanks a lot!

Carnival Triumph Here We Come!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We carried our own luggage off in NY - I can't remember what time they start - I think they make an annoucement and then you just get your luggage and go! It was a little chaotic - just relax and go with the flow...this was my only cruise so I can not compare it with getting your luaggage after. You do not put your luggage outside your room! There will be some waiting - for elevators and when you get off the elevators there will be a back up - I guess it is the best way to go though it you want to get off without waiting - just be patient. Also - there may be the chance that you may be separated from the person/people you are with. That happened to us - there were 3 of us and we all could not fit in the elevator - so 2 of us went and waited for the our friend - she never came down!!!! I was starting to panic - here a Carnival employee came along and made her and others go to other elelvators!!!! We met up off the ship - just pulled my luggage over and waited on the side for her - just something to keep in mind! Good luck and hope this helped!!

Legend 10/04/03

Legend CTN 10/22/04!!!! Here we come!!

email_sm.gif

I would wait and get off when my deck is called. We were on Triumph in May and were off boat by 10 AM. Just sit back and eat breakfast. Once immigration clears the boat decks are called pretty fast. Our dembarkation went ver orderly. My main complaint was I didn't understand why the people who needed to clear immigration had to be paged so many times. That was our only hold up.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;15;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We used the self assist in New York and it worked great. We were off the ship and across the street to be picked up by our limo by around 8:30. We had him pick us up over there to stay out of the traffic jam and that worked great too.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Legend Party to Nowhere October 22, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;5;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Legend Cruise to Somewhere May 13, 2005

Holiday May 2, 1987

Imagination Jan 22, 2001

Victory Sept 13, 2003

Miracle May 9, 2004

Legend Oct 22, 2004

Legend May 13, 2005

Do they do this on all ships? I don't remember even hearing it mentioned at the disembarkation talk on Conquest. (I didn't think it was any trouble to find our bags, anyway).

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

I just returned from the Carnival Imagination. The 'self-assist' program consist of you carrying you luggage off the ship. I liked it because we stay out late dancing, which then allowed us to shower and change. I like the access to my luggage and once the disembarkation process started we off in ten minutes.

For those who have done it . . . how do you handle lugging all your luggage? I typically have a large suitcase, a medium suitcase, and at least one carry-on (all on wheels). I can't imagine handling all that luggage through the hallways to the point where I can get help from a porter. Are there tricks to it, or are you guys just packing lite?

And, anybody know if it's offered in N.O.?

Sleazy 3 on Conquest in Just:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;29;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

LOL!!! There were 9 of us sailing and some in the party decided that we should carry our luggage off - well this being my first cruise - of course I overpacked - 2 rollies and 2 bags - and I didn't think we were going to take our luggage off - oh and no man to help - it was kind of hard!!!!!!! But I mangaed - just don't overpack!!!!

Legend 10/04/03

Legend CTN 10/22/04!!!! Here we come!!

email_sm.gif

Nina- you just learn to pack light. Its called self assist because there will be no one to help you carry your stuff off from your cabin down past customs and out the door. You are entirely on your own. Plus like Dolphin says--the elevators will be constatnly packed so you may have to walk down a few flights carrying all that luggage. If you want to do self assit--pack lightly.

I learned to pack only 2 suitcases for a 7 day cruise. Ya learn fast when you gotta carry it all.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

did it on Victory, 5/23

caotic....EVERYONE lines up to get off...leaving NO room for others to join the folly...

Quick exit however...once it started, but NO ONE pays attention to direction...IE don't block entrances/exits/hallways....it is mayhem.

READY for the next cruise !!!

Victory 5/2004

Celebration 7/89

Triumph 6/2001

Victory 5/2002

Triumph 5/2003

Celebration 2/2004'Noro'SURVIVOR

Just back from the Legend. Did the self assist and even though it was a little chaotic.it was well worth it. We got off alot earlier.I would pack alot lighter next time,my suitcase was not easy to drag. I would always do it this way.

We did the " self-assisted" debark off the Triumph last month in Miami and it worked just great. You do not have to put your luggage out the night before. You keep it in your cabin.

Called the self-assisted people first starting about 8:00a.m. by deck. They started with deck 11, 10 etc. We were on deck 9 and it was not crowded at the elevators when we left. Down the elevators and gangway. Past customs, have customs papers and ID ready. A few short questions and you are off. We had to go up an escalator( little tricky if you have big bags) and a walk down a hall. Then down another escalator (rule is: you can only use down escalator if you have a free hand) If not, you must take the elevator which is a bit longer wait. A short walk and we were off to the waiting busses and taxis We were to Ft Lauderdale airport within the hour. This is great for people with early flights home or those who just want to be the first ones off.

We hated taking our own luggage off but we travel with a small child. I just don't see the point of lugging heavy luggage off yourself.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Thanks Freddie's Mamma, what a great post! I love these boards. I knew nothing about self assist, but now I realize I made a great investment in the luggage I paid high dollar for last week. It all snaps together, suitcase on bottom, then garment bag, then carry on, and the bottom bag has wheels like a small truck to handle the load. I'm so proud of myself. We will be some of those people helping ourselves to early debarktion, because like the OP we have a long drive home after.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

12/11 Carnival Holiday Mobile, AL to Mexico

No problem Northerner! A BIG THANKS to everyone who replied. I have learned a lot about the self assist program from everyone and between the 4 of us, I think we could probably handle our luggage. It sounds like it's worth getting back on the road 1-2 hours earlier than normal.

Carnival Triumph Here We Come!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

See my pics! http://community.webshots.com/user/jwatkins75

Thank you for all the information. I think we might use the self assist program - I have 3 boys to help with the luggage. I can't imagine not having my luggage with me the day we leave. I would have to figure out in advance what everyone is going to wear. We would have to pack our toiletries the night before. I think that is too much stress. icon_confused.gif

Inspiration - August 2004

Just did Spirit to Alaska. Self Assist was not offered, but we noticed that some people did it anyways. Smart move, if you are able to pack reasonable. If you have one roller and one to strap on it, it can be done. We saw many with one roller each.

Anyway, it saves time and hassle. And, you do not have to pack before dinner the night before.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

Having just done "self-assist", the only advantage I could see was not having to pack the night before thusly having to remember keep out clothes and toiletries for disembarkation day.

Princess Coral

<applet code="countdown.class" codebase="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0"><param name="year" value="2004">

<param name="month" value="12"><param name="day" value="28">

<param name="hour" value="17"></applet>

I did the self assist on the Glory. Never again when I go on a 7 day cruise. It was very hard to handle my luggage and go down two sets of escalators. I did it on the Sensation cruise because I only had 2 carryons. All the self assist luggage people waited in the lounge and we were off the ship by 8:30. Yes the Conquest does have this program in place.

Jan

NEXT CRUISE - MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory, Conquest, Sensation

We had self-assist on the Paradise last September. I liked it! I had two suitcases on wheels, and a laptop case.

I hooked the two suitcases together, pulled the handle up on the bigger suitcase, and rested my laptop case on the top of it, and pulled them all together.

We were on the Empress deck so when they called for early debarkation, we were one of the first in line, and off the ship. It was great!

13_1_103.gif

Lorrie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

"Do they do this on all ships? "

No, but it's in the works. The holdup is that some port just are not set up for it. As Jan mentioned (above) it can be a real pain in the neck to go down two escallators regardless of the amount of luggage you have.

We're getting ready for this though by limiting each family member to two pieces of luggage; a rolling one and one that can be attached to it or easily carried.

We used to have what we called "community" bags that held stuff that everyone used like duct tape, power bar, hedge clippers, etc. Now that has to be distributed among everyone so no one has to try to manage that third bag which nobody wants to

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Sapphire Princess June '05

Caribbean Princess 09/17/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Archived