Mobility needs

codeyell0

OK so recently my wife had an accident she will have surgery, next week on her knee.
We still want to go on the cruise. That said, we are starting to look at our options.
I know we can have a scooter onboard. 
We are going to Aruba and Curacao.  We are renting a vehicle to drive around and see things. 
Do I bring a wheelchair to take off the ship? I don't think anyone has a scooter attachment for the rental.
I'm not too sure what is offered. 

You just leave the scooter in the hallway at night?
We thought the power chair was better the basket and handlebars are in the way. I'm not trying to move from chair to scooter to chair and more just stay in the chair.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/wheelchair-motor-vehicle-guest-assistance

no you don’t leave the scooter in the hall. You’ve got to move it into your stateroom. 

please note that first time scooter drivers usually have a heavy learning curve with the vehicles. Running over others is no small possibility and comes with consequences. 

you can do what you want, but I would consider giving up on the idea of renting a car and traveling the country. 

2 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

OK so recently my wife had an accident she will have surgery, next week on her knee.
We still want to go on the cruise. That said, we are starting to look at our options.
I know we can have a scooter onboard. 
We are going to Aruba and Curacao.  We are renting a vehicle to drive around and see things. 
Do I bring a wheelchair to take off the ship? I don't think anyone has a scooter attachment for the rental.
I'm not too sure what is offered. 

You would need to rent a scooter from either special needs at sea or scoot around (unless you bring one with you. 
I would suggest also renting a wheelchair or transport chair for Aruba and Curacao if you want to rent a car.
Personally, I would consider looking at excursions that have wheelchair/scooter accessibility. 

The reason I quoted neverbeenhere is in regards to the learning curve of the scooter... 
I was in a wheelchair, scooter, and on crutches for almost 2 years. I still need to use a scooter if I am going to be walking for a long time.
We rented a couple of scooters for my mom and her best friend for their 80th birthday cruise.
My mom didn't like the scooter!! (we had her using the ones at Costco and Walmart etc to get used to them) On night 3 I took the scooter to go get a few sodas, I quickly found out why my mom didn't like it!! There is a dial on it to speed it up and slow it down. We were never told about it, nor was it an obvious setting. It was set at the highest speed!
Thankfully no one was hurt but it could have been very ugly!! 

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

please note that first time scooter drivers usually have a heavy learning curve with the vehicles. Running over others is no small possibility and comes with consequences. 

Edited by LilBlackDress

I have used a Lumex HybridLX 2-in-1 Rollator Walker & Transport Wheelchair.  It's a rollator that can be converted to a transport chair.  It easily folds up and fits in a car.

You should check if their is an accessible room available and switch to it.  Our TA has been able to get our cruises changed to accessible rooms at no extra cost.  Our cruise last month was in an accessible room.  I rented an electric wheelchair and it was easy to get it in and out.

• Like 1

You are definitely better off in a cabin with the bed by the window, it helps with the remaining walk around room with the scooter in the room. We went on a cruise 7 and 12 weeks after my husband's knee replacements. He was walking, but he tired very easily. We found pre-arranging wheelchairs at the airports to be really helpful. We had several sea days at the beginning which was very helpful in his adjustment. We also went a few weeks after my daughter had an ACL replacement, she needed wc assistance to get on and off the ship, we just hung out and had a relaxing cruise. The hardest part on both trips was the sudden onset of fatigue, your idea of renting cars is good but I'd recommend hiring taxis so you can change your itinerary at will and not have to fuss with picking up and returning rentals.