Walking sticks and P&O

Megabear2

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Think this is a standard e mail being sent to everyone who has a cruise booked whether needing assistance or not. We received one today for our cruise in April and we have never asked for assistance and don't need it. Think P&O are just covering themselves because people haven't mentioned anything until they got to the port and they have been refused boarding.

I know that, but I have also booked assistance in the past.

Did you see my previous post, where I had booked assistance for my mother and it wasn't conveyed to the assistance team?

I got one as well.

To me it reads as if P&O has been inundated with passengers arriving at embarkation and asking for assistance with no prior notification. It is a general reminder that if assistance is required it needs to booked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I got one as well.

To me it reads as if P&O has been inundated with passengers arriving at embarkation and asking for assistance with no prior notification. It is a general reminder that if assistance is required it needs to booked.

Especially when they arrive early and need to sit down with a three course meal.

• Haha 5

If a passenger genuinely did not inform them when they have been given clear instruction to do so etc and are turned away then so be it. But my concern - which sadly happened to a friend of mine a few months ago - is those who have contacted P&O in advance etc and done what they are supposed to, only for P&O to lose that correspondence.

Perhaps naively, my friend didn’t follow up her correspondence with P&O to get their awareness of her issues in writing to present at the desk, but you would think if you do what you are supposed to then so would they…..Maybe it works 99.9% of the time.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Camberley said:

If a passenger genuinely did not inform them when they have been given clear instruction to do so etc and are turned away then so be it. But my concern - which sadly happened to a friend of mine a few months ago - is those who have contacted P&O in advance etc and done what they are supposed to, only for P&O to lose that correspondence.

Perhaps naively, my friend didn’t follow up her correspondence with P&O to get their awareness of her issues in writing to present at the desk, but you would think if you do what you are supposed to then so would they…..Maybe it works 99.9% of the time.

As previously mentioned, they had been notified that my mother required assistance.

13 minutes ago, purplesea said:

As previously mentioned, they had been notified that my mother required assistance.

Which is what I inferred in my comment about P&O’s poor track record of losing info such as this when folk do notify. It is such shame when do the right thing only to get turned away etc

Edited by Camberley

On 11/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, amajaa said:

Yes we got an email as well and don't need any assistance and never have. I assumed they must be sending out to everyone 

we received it this morning for a Cunard cruise next June. Also never needed assistance. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 1

Once again this comes down to having proof. Keep/save/print all communications. If all correspondence has been via email save them in an appropriately named folder on your phone and, keep your phone with you!

Never, ever arrange these thing over the phone. No evidence = no proof = one person's word against another.

Edited by FangedRose

To me it sounds like they're having a clampdown on maklingerers who ask for assistance believing it'll get them on board early etc, seen it at airports need assistance to get on and off plane best seats at front can hardly move then you see them a day later galloping around resort like teenagers!!  

I'm never against genuine people who have disabilities getting help but as with everything these days there are are chancers who take the pee. Guess this is what this is all about. 

• Like 6

Following all the emails backwards and forwards regarding fibromyalga and walking sticks, I have been advised I need to complete the Needs Questionnaire.  Having done this I note that the questions appear to have an option as follows:

"I do  not need to make you aware of any additional on-board needs"

I have therefore submitted the form having chosen this option and hopefully this will be the end of the matter.  

Well here is my latest update ...

Dear Mrs. X

Thank you for your email.

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board, as a reminder, you must inform us of any mobility or accessibility requirements, and any mobility aids you wish to take with you (walking sticks, etc), prior to embarkation. Failure to do so may result in you being denied boarding.

Please visit My P&O Cruises to complete the onboard needs questionnaire, once you have logged in, the questionnaire is located by clicking the ‘Before you sail’ tab and then clicking the ‘On board needs’ tab on the following page. You can then access the onboard needs questionnaire, please complete the onboard needs questionnaire no later than 14 days prior to embarkation.

Please ensure you complete the onboard needs questionnaire thoroughly and read each question carefully, as once completed you cannot add any missing information and the questionnaire will need to be completed again. We also advise guests to save their onboard needs questionnaire when prompted to do so.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Britannia next month.

Kind Regards

Suzanne

Guest Support Representative

Accessibility

Unquote

So the form I've completed is over ridden by this apparently.  Ironically my husband has no plans to take a walking stick or any other aid with him and I filled in the stupid form accordingly.  I'm afraid this is just b....y stupid now.

• Like 1

Well I've lost it now!  After trying to seek clarification by telephone to the number previously provided, I now find it does not accept inward telephone calls.

So I've replied by email:

Dear Suzanne,

I have already submitted a questionnaire to the effect we do not need assistance.  My husband will not be using a walking stick, although he does own one - it is a fold up one.  I must point out he is a very active man despite fibromyalgia and is not in any way disabled - he is a competitive masters swimmer completing several miles in a session, plays football twice a week and also rugby. He works full time and does not have a carer or any assistance requirements. He exercises at a class at our local hospital twice a week on the remaining days.

This constant threat we will be denied boarding is most unhelpful and is causing very much stress to me which is not in any way making me look forward to my trip.

I would therefore request you find the form I have completed for both this cruise and my Cunard ones and confirm that I do not have to complete any new ones as stated in your email.  

Whilst I have every sympathy with your need to be careful of people's requirements, this chasing of individuals who have told you they are able to manage without assistance is in no way helpful.  

The form to which you have directed me states:

"This form should be completed by all guests who:

• May require assistance with embarkation, disembarkation, or in an unlikely case of emergency evacuation
  • Have any medical needs that may require special accommodation
  • Will be bringing medical equipment or mobility devices on board
  • Have been advised by their travel insurance or doctor to declare their needs to us"

Most passengers will not complete it as the descriptions are very vague.  Might I respectfully suggest if you wish everyone to complete this form rather than just those who would normally request assistance due to a mobility or disability issue P&O should actually tell people that and clarify in simple English your requirements.

Currently the confusion and chasing I am experiencing is not making us look forward in any way to the cruises we have booked.

I look forward to a final reply as to what you want us to do.

Thank you.

Unquote

I'm now officially fed up with this - I've replied and provided details four times now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Well I've lost it now!  After trying to seek clarification by telephone to the number previously provided, I now find it does not accept inward telephone calls.

So I've replied by email:

Dear Suzanne,

I have already submitted a questionnaire to the effect we do not need assistance.  My husband will not be using a walking stick, although he does own one - it is a fold up one.  I must point out he is a very active man despite fibromyalgia and is not in any way disabled - he is a competitive masters swimmer completing several miles in a session, plays football twice a week and also rugby. He works full time and does not have a carer or any assistance requirements. He exercises at a class at our local hospital twice a week on the remaining days.

This constant threat we will be denied boarding is most unhelpful and is causing very much stress to me which is not in any way making me look forward to my trip.

I would therefore request you find the form I have completed for both this cruise and my Cunard ones and confirm that I do not have to complete any new ones as stated in your email.  

Whilst I have every sympathy with your need to be careful of people's requirements, this chasing of individuals who have told you they are able to manage without assistance is in no way helpful.  

The form to which you have directed me states:

"This form should be completed by all guests who:

• May require assistance with embarkation, disembarkation, or in an unlikely case of emergency evacuation
  • Have any medical needs that may require special accommodation
  • Will be bringing medical equipment or mobility devices on board
  • Have been advised by their travel insurance or doctor to declare their needs to us"

Most passengers will not complete it as the descriptions are very vague.  Might I respectfully suggest if you wish everyone to complete this form rather than just those who would normally request assistance due to a mobility or disability issue P&O should actually tell people that and clarify in simple English your requirements.

Currently the confusion and chasing I am experiencing is not making us look forward in any way to the cruises we have booked.

I look forward to a final reply as to what you want us to do.

Thank you.

Unquote

I'm now officially fed up with this - I've replied and provided details four times now.

Well put, I thought that all these threats were finally behind us! Last year a cruise (not with P&O) was marred as a couple of weeks before we left new T&C’s was sent to us that stated if we tested positive for covid we would be removed from the boat to a quarantine hotel at our own expense etc, when we booked the cruise covid did not exist. We were told to provide a lot of documentation that was never looked at or asked for. On the ship covid was the elephant in the room. We felt relieved to reach the end of the cruise without going down with anything.

People do not need extra stress caused by these vague threats that may or may not apply. P&O spend a lot of money pushing their product. only for customers to be put off by the backside covering department. Maybe your contact could have a word in executives ears about this unnecessary fiasco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Y said:

Well put, I thought that all these threats were finally behind us! Last year a cruise (not with P&O) was marred as a couple of weeks before we left new T&C’s was sent to us that stated if we tested positive for covid we would be removed from the boat to a quarantine hotel at our own expense etc, when we booked the cruise covid did not exist. We were told to provide a lot of documentation that was never looked at or asked for. On the ship covid was the elephant in the room. We felt relieved to reach the end of the cruise without going down with anything.

People do not need extra stress caused by these vague threats that may or may not apply. P&O spend a lot of money pushing their product. only for customers to be put off by the backside covering department. Maybe your contact could have a word in executives ears about this unnecessary fiasco.

I have copied them in but I just want a satisfactory answer from someone to say All okay.  It's a long way to Barbados to be told tough, you aren't getting on for the sake of a walking stick!

• Like 1

From what I have read on here the e-mails were just blanket sent to everyone.

I would say to stop people turning up at port wanting assistance but not giving 

P&O advance warning of their needs . We got one for our recent Ventura cruise.

The one that amused me was the diet one they sent ..

"Thank you for letting us know your diet needs we can adjust most meals to suit

your needs, simply let your servers in MDR know ..."

I ordered a  meal in the MDR and asked for the gravy to be served separate ,

which  was not a problem until I asked for a low salt version to be made up .

The waiter replied "this could not happen as they make big pots up beforehand !

So a chef could not get a bit of cornflour a bit of meat stock  ??

Not the first time we have come across this "cannot do " either .

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

I had assumed this too Kalos.  I received the first 72 hours after booking and ignored it.  They have continued to arrive in regular intervals, four for the same cruise.  The arrival of the first three was ignored. On receipt of the fourth one I emailed and said I believed it was unnecessary for me to complete the form, no assistance required, no form to complete, please confirm.  Reply, fill in the form, walking sticks are mobility aids must be declared.  Never having to declare a walking stick previously I asked what information was required. Fill in the form ... we will check.  Okay form filled in.  48 hours later - we require further information.  Forms cannot be amended so I emailed - text quoted above, please confirm information is completed as required, no further action on our part required?  Reply as received yesterday - you must complete the form and most annoyingly "you must inform us of any mobility or accessibility requirements, and any mobility aids you wish to take with you (walking sticks, etc), prior to embarkation. Failure to do so may result in you being denied boarding."

I'm not sure about you, but I'm pretty certain large numbers will have walking sticks, don't count themselves as needing assistance, do not fill in this form as they believe it only applies to more serious disabilities and apparently according to this latest missive are at risk of being denied boarding due to "failure to do so".

In fact if I ran a poll across this website I'd be very interested to see how many people would actually think they need to fill in a mobility form for using or owning a walking stick, and yet every reply I'm given indicates under this ridiculous protocol every one of them should be doing so.

Utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, kalos said:

Cunard couldn't serve chicken in the Queens Grill with 5 hours notice apparently

• Haha 1

Special assistance has been a free for all which has been abused. Overall, this is an area that P&O and Cunard are trying to improve - but the first way to do that is to understand who needs assistance and who is using for no other reason that to jump a queue.

A few things have happened here which has led to this situation. Let me summarise how I see it:

1. Over the last three years Carnival UK have built an assistance team which are working to improve the assistance needs experience but also who are working to standardise the process. Some member of this team are newer/less experienced than others.

2. The onboard needs questionnaire is now mandatory for anyone who needs any type of physical aid. I believe that this is being/has been put into the terms and conditions. Until then, these nudge emails are being used.

3. Following point 2 above, if you need a physical aid and have not declared it, you will be denied boarding with no refund/FCC etc.

4. There have been numerous incidents this year of people not declaring they need assistance (remember the two blind ladies who claimed to be each other's carer? multiple cases of scooters turning up and not being booked into accessible rooms etc.)

5. They are trying to clamp down on passengers turning up at the port, seeing the long queue and 'requiring' use of special assistance as a way of queue jumping. This is why special assistance check-in is now separate and based upon the onboard needs questionnaire being complete.

6. There have been two onboard incidents this year which have highlighted the need to improve processes. Britannia's encounter with a tanker proved that passengers needing assistance did not return to cabins quick enough. In an emergency scenario, the stairway guides nearest your cabin have already been told who will need assistance. When twice the number of people turn up this causes a problem. This can be managed better if people register in advance. Also the battery incident on Iona shows the need to understand how many powered devices are on board.

7. People are being abusive towards terminal staff and onboard staff when they don't get the preferential treatment expected. Special assistance is not preferential assistance. This is 100% unacceptable.

8. Disembarkation is sometimes chaos especially on the bigger ships. P&O have to specify how many special assistance staff are required from the contractor. When (and this has happened) twice the number of people turn up for special assistance disembarkation to those who have registered, the process goes out the window as not enough staff are available.

Turning back to the actual queries:

@Megabear2 Yes, they do want to know about walking sticks. If your husband may need it, just declare it on the form and don't ask for any additional help. If he can manage stairs in an emergency scenario, tick 'no assistance required'.

@kalos I accept your request was simple, but especially on the bigger ships where the galleys are some distance from the MDR, this becomes a difficult request to quickly fulfil. P&O's stated policy has always been that those with dietary requirements should also declare, and check the menu the day before. At which point low salt gravy should be easily sorted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Cunard couldn't serve chicken in the Queens Grill with 5 hours notice apparently

Oh heck!

Additional to my earlier post, I believe that there have been a lot of replies to the emails you mention, and it could well be that the responses back to passengers are not as co-ordinated as they need to be.

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

A few years ago we used the Beach house and ordered a  sizzling dish  that we 

had not realised was a fair bit spicy for us .

When asked "is your meal ok ? "  We were told "There is nothing we can do as 

they are prepacked  meals " a bit like the curry's you get from a supermarket .

We asked "well could you get some yoghurt so we can add as this helps cool it "

The answer was no as it's not on the menu . Two meals down the drain for us .

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

@Megabear2 Yes, they do want to know about walking sticks. If your husband may need it, just declare it on the form and don't ask for any additional help. If he can manage stairs in an emergency scenario, tick 'no assistance required'.

The have been told, a form has been completed, further questions raised yet still I'm being replied to that I may be declined boarding! This is a fly cruise, we are not going to be trying to jump a queue for that and we most certainly do not need assistance at the airport or to board/leave the aircraft.

If I read you right you are saying every single person with a walking stick for any reason now is required to fill in the mobility form?  That being the case to stop all this problem maybe the form should be mandatory and a tick box exercise for every passenger so they fully understand the implications.

It's way over the top but as you can see from answers to this thread many wouldn't think using a walking stick is a mobility issue in the way you describe. Basically you are saying they are looking at speed not ability.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Special assistance has been a free for all which has been abused.

That's what I was implying, people turning up and seeing if they can get on a bit earlier 

using the I need help on the spur of the moment .

This is nothing new ,we have seen it on airlines they need help getting on but when the plane lands they somehow are cured and are one of the first to leave their seats .

The worst one was when we were waiting for a coach from our hotel and a guy was playing football with his two lads .Once at the airport his Mrs past him a telescopic white stick and sunglasses and off they went to the front wanting assistance . Not nice for the genuine folk .

But as you say back to the issue,  Mega wants no assistance just her walking stick I fail to see what the problem is ,she has said no help needed thankyou .

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The have been told, a form has been completed, further questions raised yet still I'm being replied to that I may be declined boarding! This is a fly cruise, we are not going to be trying to jump a queue for that and we most certainly do not need assistance at the airport or to board/leave the aircraft.

If I read you right you are saying every single person with a walking stick for any reason now is required to fill in the mobility form?  That being the case to stop all this problem maybe the form should be mandatory and a tick box exercise for every passenger so they fully understand the implications.

It's way over the top but as you can see from answers to this thread many wouldn't think using a walking stick is a mobility issue in the way you describe. Basically you are saying they are looking at speed not ability.

I have completed the form as Moley has specified, I did say I wouldn't as I didn't want to go down this rabbit hole, but by following the process I will see if the system works. I am all for weeding out the cheats and scroungers in life especially when they are doing it at the expense of genuine disabled people.

It looks to me as if it is mandatory, however not sure how the people that dont get/ use email, maybe Moley can enlighten us.

I don't like the threatening aspect of these communications, surely being a bit more diplomatic than "denied boarding" which will cause fear and possibly panic for some, it is generally considered that the carrot is more effective than the stick especially in the early stages, at least if that fails you can beat the culprits with their own stick. 

• Like 4