O’s “Luggage Forward” Service: Is it Reliable?

harryw

First of all, it has no affiliation with O.  And, it is not the only service of this type.  We have used both Luggage Forward and Luggage Free and prefer the later.  Luggage Free provides better customer service, from our experience, and may be a bit less expensive.  No, neither allows you to track in real time.  We use Apple tags to track our suitcases. 

• Like 1

Ditto Sny, our experience as well. Shipped bags to Alaska once and to Miami last December. No International experience to share however and that cost is MUCH  more expensive. 
Definitely convenient when traveling during the holiday rush. You can not ship a variety of items however so read the list on the specific websites, especially no alcohol.

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

I have used Luggage forward UK to Malta .. Suitcases picked up 1 week before cruise .
I was able to track the cases through DPD as they picked the cases up from the house.

Was in Malta 3 days before we arrived and 1 case was in the suite when we arrived on the ship the second one arrived 30 minutes later.

You do have to read what you can pack with these companies , no medications no electronics etc.

To me it was worth it especially post COVID. We only used them one way going to Malta 

On the return trip from Istanbul via Frankfurt we checked them on to the plane but they never made it home …. 9 days later and lots of emails both suitcases showed up at the house.

Must admit liked getting on the plane with just hand luggage.

• Like 1

Used Luggage Forward in 2016. Very satisfied. 

I was unable to lift, after a surgery. Yes, it cost a bit, but was very smooth. We last saw the bag as they picked it up from our RV park location in Arizona. Next time we saw the bag, it was in our Maasdam cabin in Seattle after boarding. (Delivered to the room sooner than the dockside loaded luggage.)

I've used Luggage Forward several times and been very satisfied with them. However, there are restrictions on what you can pack so you need to read the packing list carefully. Bag has always arrived on time or usually early. You can track it on their website but it's not the best tracking info. I put an Air Tag in mine and can track it via my iPhone.

• Like 1

So being an air tag  virgin / newbie, I am amazed by this new technology. The greatest invention since swiss cheese, I tracked my

luggage and it arrived today in Miami. I guess the days of existential anxiety at baggage claims are over.

2 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Just as an FYI I was reading on another board (and I do not remember which one) that they were told that the could not use AirTags because it contained a lithium battery.

I googled this issue and found -

Yes, AirTags are Federal Aviation Administration approved. The FAA ruled that having an AirTag in your luggage is permitted and, in fact, not a safety hazard since the small devices only contain 0.1 grams of lithium, which falls below the FAA's limit.

1 hour ago, harryw said:

Yes, AirTags are Federal Aviation Administration approved. The FAA ruled that having an AirTag in your luggage is permitted and, in fact, not a safety hazard since the small devices only contain 0.1 grams of lithium, which falls below the FAA's limit.

That's the FAA.  The different luggage shippers have their own rules over and above the FAA's.

Buried in Luggage Free's rules, for example, along with medicines, aerosols, and alcohol there is this specific prohibition:

Consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium-ion cells or batteries (e.g., calculators, cell phones, laptop computers, etc.)

Best to check directly with whichever luggage shipper you end up choosing, rather than us random folks on the internet.  🙄

I've used them round trip on two occasions, so a total of four times shipped and all with air tags. Never had an issue with them. On one trip they actually opened and removed a small inexpensive device that I mistakenly packed but left the Air Tag inside.

17 hours ago, harryw said:

I just reached out to Luggage Forward and this is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out, we are glad to assist.

AirTags, or similar tracking devices, are prohibited from our shipments despite having small lithium output. We are not licensed to ship batteries of any sort.

If we can be of any further assistance please let us know and you will also find many answers regarding the service through the below link to our Support Center.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Hello,

AirTags, or similar tracking devices, are prohibited from our shipments despite having small lithium output. We are not licensed to ship batteries of any sort.

If we can be of any further assistance please let us know and you will also find many answers regarding the service through the below link to our Support Center.

So, they don't want their customers tracking their own possessions.  

That's a deal breaker.  

13 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Hello,

I have shipped three times with Luggage Forward with air tags inside, with no problem. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I shipped once w Luggage Forward w air tags inside. No problem!

I suspect AirTags in shipped luggage is like the 7th bottle of wine brought aboard Oceania.

Translation: Specifically against the published rules, but perfectly fine unless....