Deluxe drink package for one person rules

I called Royal a few months ago and booked the deluxe drink package for myself and the refreshment package for my girlfriend since you can’t do that online. Last night while online, I canceled her refreshment package and rebooked at the lower price with no issues. My deluxe package was on the same order number but was not canceled/changed.

My question is what would happen if i simply didn’t rebook her refreshment package or canceled it in the future? Would Royal eventually cancel my deluxe or charge more since we are two adults in one cabin?

Since I know this will come up…. We do not share drinks. I drink a lot more and the deluxe makes sense for me. She might drink 4-5 cocktails a day plus a few waters. She will use our 10 per day vouchers so the only reason we got her the refreshment package is because I thought we had to….

Technically, all people of age in the cabin need to get the deluxe package if one does. There is a loophole where the customer service people will allow one to get the refreshment package and one the deluxe if you state that one person cannot drink. IMHO, you are cheating the system if your GF will be drinking alcohol at all.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Technically, all people of age in the cabin need to get the deluxe package if one does. There is a loophole where the customer service people will allow one to get the refreshment package and one the deluxe if you state that one person cannot drink. IMHO, you are cheating the system if your GF will be drinking alcohol at all.

Well I explained to the customer service rep how she will use the drink vouchers for alcohol and they said that was not an issue.

Cheating the system would be if I was sharing my package…

• Like 8

Not sure how the girlfriend using the FREE diamond plus drinks would be "cheating".  I have read on here where a person got the coffee card for the other person and didn't even need to get the soda/refreshment package.  A possible worst case scenario if you cancel the refreshment and they "catch" it before you board, you could use your 30% off Deluxe Package once you board.  I have never used that D+ benefit so don't know if they would somehow check what package, if any, other roommates may have when they were looking up your information....  Would be interesting to hear your result or how others have dealt with this situation.

17 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It's perfectly exceptable to pool D and above drink vouchers. You can do what you want with them. It is also exceptable to call in and purchase 1 DBP with the explination that the other person has vouchers and does not need a package. You will be asked that the second person purchase a coffee or soda package. We have done this and I don't consider it either a "loophole" or "cheating" in anyway. I'm always amazed how judgemental people on this board are sometimes.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I have read on here where a person got the coffee card for the other person and didn't even need to get the soda/refreshment package. 

I don't think the coffee card has the same restrictions the Deluxe Drink package does. 

I rebooked a DBP/RP combo yesterday. The rep was able to cancel both and rebook my DBP, but my couldn't rebook my wife's refreshment package. She had to go talk to someone to get an exception to book the DBP by itself and told me to just rebook the refreshment package in the planner.

I did that, but was also wondering what would happen if I just didn't bother. Probably nothing.

Edited by GimmeOcean

12 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

I rebooked a DBP/RP combo yesterday. The rep was able to cancel both and rebook my DBP, but my couldn't rebook my wife's refreshment package. She had to go talk to someone to get an exception to book the DBP by itself and told me to just rebook the refreshment package in the planner.

I did that, but was also wondering what would happen if I just didn't bother. Probably nothing.

That’s exactly what I did and the original question. I would drop the refreshment package completely and maybe get her the soda package instead since she drinks a couple sodas a day.

4 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

It's perfectly exceptable to pool D and above drink vouchers. You can do what you want with them. It is also exceptable to call in and purchase 1 DBP with the explination that the other person has vouchers and does not need a package. You will be asked that the second person purchase a coffee or soda package. We have done this and I don't consider it either a "loophole" or "cheating" in anyway. I'm always amazed how judgemental people on this board are sometimes.

Hi. I am planning on getting the DBP and my dh would be fine with the Diamond Vouchers. I am the drinker. We both get the 4 vouchers per day as Diamond but is my name linked to "my" voucher so I have to always order the drink or can my dh just take the 8 vouchers and drink during the day even if I'm not with him.

Thank you so much.

Just now, js said:

Hi. I am planning on getting the DBP and my dh would be fine with the Diamond Vouchers. I am the drinker. We both get the 4 vouchers per day as Diamond but is my name linked to "my" voucher so I have to always order the drink or can my dh just take the 8 vouchers and drink during the day even if I'm not with him.

Thank you so much.

My experience was I needed to take my wife's sea pass card to use her vouchers.  I never had any trouble handing the bartender her card when she was not around.  You just need to make sure that when you are drinking together that you use your voucher's first.  That way, if he is away from you, he still has vouchers on his own card to use.

39 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

My experience was I needed to take my wife's sea pass card to use her vouchers.  I never had any trouble handing the bartender her card when she was not around.  You just need to make sure that when you are drinking together that you use your voucher's first.  That way, if he is away from you, he still has vouchers on his own card to use.

That makes a lot of sense and thank you very much!

I just called this morning and booked the refreshment for my son and deluxe for me. My son loves mocktails and tends to drink a glass of wine or two around dinner. He is diamond so will use his vouchers for that. I think the only time I've even used my vouchers on him was on Mocktails when I didn't have his card with me at the bar. We do this on all our cruises. I don't see this as cheating since Royal is allowing us to do it. It is unfortunate that so many folks really did cheat and share their packages which is why they implemented the restriction in the first place. We have no intention of sharing the package so I think I can still sleep at night.

• Like 4