Remembrance Day 2 mins silence at 11 am on 11/11.

Watching Remembrance Day Service live on Channel 2. How times have changed. A woman is calling the movements.  I love the ceremony  I like how they pick one solder to feature his service to the Country in WWI.  My American visitors are always impressed with how Aussies remember those who have fallen in past wars.  

Reminded my daughter, who will be on a flight to Phuket, to remember those who have fallen at 11 am. 

Do they do 2 mins silence on cruises on Australian cruises?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Watching Remembrance Day Service live on Channel 2. How times have changed. A woman is calling the movements.  I love the ceremony  I like how they pick one solder to feature his service to the Country in WWI.  My American visitors are always impressed with how Aussies remember those who have fallen in past wars.  

Reminded my daughter, who will be on a flight to Phuket, to remember those who have fallen at 11 am. 

I don’t know about cruise but I was just grabbing groceries in my local Woolworths. At 10.59 announcement made, the traditional  reading done, one minute’s silence. The whole store just stopped and was silent! Then the “lest we forget” and whole store just buzzed back! I’ve never heard it done in the supermarket before and it was very moving ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughter took my NY girlfriend a coffee mug with poppies and poem In Flanders Fields on the box, which I bought from RSL volunteers, 

Just heard a vocal version.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I don’t know about cruise but I was just grabbing groceries in my local Woolworths. At 10.59 announcement made, the traditional  reading done, one minute’s silence. The whole store just stopped and was silent! Then the “lest we forget” and whole store just buzzed back! I’ve never heard it done in the supermarket before and it was very moving ❤️❤️❤️

That would have been moving.  When I worked, we used to go to the Old Lands Building, with its original wooden remembrance board to staff who had lost their lives in the war, to remember. 

• Like 4

I raised a glass to the fallen today, your armistice day. For us tomorrow is remembrance day (being we are behind the times)

Deepest respect to those who served and those whose loved ones didn't make it home.

While "In Flanders Fields" is known and recited throughout the Commonwealth, as Canadians we have a special pride in those poignant words as Colonel McCrae was Canadian and he didn't make it home.

• Like 4

I had the radio on at work today. They played a song called "Highway of Heroes". It was written in memory of Captain Nichola Goddard, the first Canadian female soldier killed in combat, she was deployed in Afghanistan. It is a moving song and the original video is outstanding. So the song ends and the DJ introduces the news guy who goes "you expect me to go on after that?" you could tell he was having a hard time presenting the news. It's a wonderful tribute to her but also all the fallen. Check it out  if you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Funny that same here, at Woolies. It was nice  to see everyone stop, and pay respect.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Funny that same here, at Woolies. It was nice  to see everyone stop, and pay respect.

I’ve never seen it happen before. I can’t believe that in all these years I’ve not been in the shops at 11am ever!!! I wonder if it’s not the mad world we’re in at the moment that it’s causing people to pay more attention to what really matters?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I’ve never seen it happen before. I can’t believe that in all these years I’ve not been in the shops at 11am ever!!! I wonder if it’s not the mad world we’re in at the moment that it’s causing people to pay more attention to what really matters?

I would not be surprised, it certainly influenced where I planned to cruise this year, and next for that matter. What is it with the megalomaniacs that seem to be popping up everywhere theses days, even worse they seem to have large numbers of supporters!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I would not be surprised, it certainly influenced where I planned to cruise this year, and next for that matter. What is it with the megalomaniacs that seem to be popping up everywhere theses days, even worse they seem to have large numbers of supporters!

11 am is not a time workers would be in the shops,  

32 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Mob mentality 

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I raised a glass to the fallen today, your armistice day. For us tomorrow is remembrance day (being we are behind the times)

Deepest respect to those who served and those whose loved ones didn't make it home.

While "In Flanders Fields" is known and recited throughout the Commonwealth, as Canadians we have a special pride in those poignant words as Colonel McCrae was Canadian and he didn't make it home.

Called Remembrance Day here too Lyle. I was on my way home from watching my granddaughter play netball. The radio station on in my car did a really moving ceremony and finished off with the song 'When the War is Over' by Cold Chisel. I was really impressed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

He was truly inspirational

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Remembrance Day here Lyle. Coming from a military family and being an ex soldier myself, albeit in my youth, it means a lot to me. Lest we forget.

• Like 2

Cruise Related.

One of the best Remembrance Day observances I was involved in was in Naples Nov 11. 2019 onboard Sapphire Princess.

As most pax were scheduled to be on tours at 1100 hours the ship advised that they would hold an observance at 1700 before we sailed at 1800.

The veterans onboard had a gathering earlier in the cruise where the ship asked if we would like to be involved in hosting the observance.

We had veterans from USA, UK, Canada, Aussie, NZ and some other countries I cant recall. Certain individuals volunteered to make a speech or recite prayers, ode etc.

At 17O0 we gathered in the Vista Lounge and we were joined by the majority of the ships officers in full uniform (jackets & hats). The ship provided a beautiful wreath.The room was packed with very little standing room left.

The Captain made a short speech as did the First Officer, then the US guy said a speech, the Canadian said a prayer, the NZ guy said the Ode, the Aussie guy said the Navy Ode (it's a thing, Google it) and one guy had even brought his travelling bagpipes and played the hymn Abide With Me.

In the end a very moving observance which was the hot topic of conversation around the dinner table that evening.

Well done Princess Cruises and those involved.

Lest We Forget

Edited by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Remembrance Day here Lyle. Coming from a military family and being an ex soldier myself, albeit in my youth, it means a lot to me. Lest we forget.

I came from a family of war widows who were supported by Legacy.  My uncle never met his father who was killed in the Great War.  He devoted his voluntary life to the RSL.  So Remembrance Day, as well as Anzac Day, means a lot to our family.  

• Like 1