Not Quite Live From Iona in the Med (G336) - The i-Player Version

TigerB

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree with your final points, we find the PI  beds to be too low  and the P&O beds to be too high for easy access, an average of the two would probably be ideal.

Interesting what you say about Premier Inn beds. We also find them to be way too low and I have to pull my wife up from them, which not everyone could do. When I mentioned this at reception at the last PI we stayed in (when I asked for Elephants feet to raise the bed - which they used to provide, but no longer do) they said that the bed heights were determined to be the most suitable for wheelchair users. Funny that, given that those of us who have partners in wheelchairs agree that they are too low 🤔

• Like 3

@TigerB Thank you for another brilliant review. I’m glad that you made the food (with loads of photos) the main thrust of your review, as that was the aspect where we felt that Iona was excellent.

The fact that you don’t mention problems getting around the ship via lift suggests that our problems were indeed caused primarily by the fact that we had 5,750 people on our cruise - now that really was rammed! Obviously this was exacerbated by the fact that the lifts are too small for how busy the ship can get, a fact that was confirmed when we had no issues whatsoever on Ventura with nigh on half the passengers but noticeably larger lifts. 

It was also very interesting that you didn’t mention the rough seas (and impact on passenger comfort) as much on the outward run, which confirms my hunch that Ventura and Azura don’t handle rough seas as well as the other ships. Although I didn’t feel seasick at all during our Ventura cruise, and my wife was only ill for one day (probably not helped by her neurological condition affecting balance at the best of times), there were a lot of people struggling on our cruise during the same crossing that you had. There were prolonged periods when it was difficult to stand up without holding on to something (I was grateful to be holding on to a wheelchair) and walking along was up hill and down hill!

Interesting that even with fewer passengers you still experienced patchy service in places and notably in Olive Grove. We absolutely loved the food in Olive Grove, and felt that it was a superb addition to the food offering on P&O ships, but service was poor on the occasions that we dined there. With the exception of the MDR (which was excellent), we found Iona to be understaffed in relation to the huge numbers of passenger on board and again, this was brought home by the sharp contrast on both Britannia and Ventura where we had no service issues anywhere. As has been discussed previously, cruise ships have a unique challenge that land based hotels don’t have, in that their staff numbers can’t flex up and down as customer numbers go up and down, so if you go in peak season (as we did) you get an entirely different experience to someone who goes off peak, with the same staff numbers dealing with far more passengers. 

I’m sure that we are not alone in getting to know quite a few staff very well during our cruises, whether that be stewards, bar staff or restaurant staff, and when I have asked them which ships they’ve worked on and which they prefer, quite a few have said to us that they and their friends least like working on Iona and Arvia due to how busy the ships are and the impact that has on their roles. This comes as no surprise to us, as I mentioned during my Iona review that, in addition to struggling to get served in bars during our Iona cruise, we couldn’t help but notice that the staff didn’t seem as happy as on the other ships. That would obviously be magnified during peak school holidays, which is when we went!

You did well to find the accessible shuttle in Lisbon as we couldn’t. That being said, as you have since discovered, it’s easier and quicker just to walk there. You were right that you relegated us into the cheap seats in Cadiz but, in fairness, the port provided (free) shuttle was brilliant. No waits and most buses were wheelchair accessible. The new style accessible shuttle that you experienced in one of your ports does indeed look excellent. Let’s hope that they start to appear in more locations. 

I’m glad that you seemed to enjoy your cruise, in spite of your wife being unwell for part of it. Iona is certainly a great ship for food lovers and the accessible deluxe balcony cabin that we had was superb. Sadly, Lady S will not be shifted in her view that our experience in August is not one that she wishes to repeat and, much as I stress that our problems were exacerbated by it being peak school holidays, Iona and Arvia remain firmly off our list of cruise options. This wasn’t helped by us meeting several different people on our Ventura cruise who had been on Arvia who, when I asked how they found it (hoping that they would give a positive account which might give my wife pause for thought) they replied “never again” 🙄😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

@TigerB - ta me duck for the offer to use the photos. Are you happy for me to take all your accessible bus ones or just those from that post?  I’m sure some find them useful. 

The shuttle in Lisbon went a long way to go not very far.  I walked between ship and the centre stop in half the time.  I only went on the shuttle as I erm… wanted to in all honesty.  My second trip from ship to town I walked there and back. 

It’s not just Mrs RL that requests regular cat updates.  The joys of messages and networks means we get updates too.  He makes a guest appearance on my shuttle bus map. 

The tram 10 in Valencia looks a go-er too from the shuttle drop off to the centre-ish.  May require a change onto the metro too. IMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.ba64463d3530ac9b62953f7448189484.jpeg

My map is now updated with TigerB's photos.  Ta muchly.

Click here

• Like 1

@TigerB Another binge-reader here! What a wonderful Sunday morning I've spent reading and re-reading your wonderful review. You and Selbourne are wasted in your day-jobs (or retirements). You are both great writers and we all know now that a blog/review by either, or both of you, will be a worthwhile, balanced, self-deprecating, and enjoyable read.

Thank you so much for the time and effort you've put into this.

If you have any novels being published soon put me down for a signed copy.

Thanks again.

Jane xx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting what you say about Premier Inn beds. We also find them to be way too low and I have to pull my wife up from them, which not everyone could do. When I mentioned this at reception at the last PI we stayed in (when I asked for Elephants feet to raise the bed - which they used to provide, but no longer do) they said that the bed heights were determined to be the most suitable for wheelchair users. Funny that, given that those of us who have partners in wheelchairs agree that they are too low 🤔

As I wrote in a previous post, we've had PI beds between 41cm and 50, so an inconsistency across the chain.  Our lass fairs better with the ones that are about 49/50cm high. Our bed at home is 55cm high, so she prefers the higher ones; she doesn't always transfer directly from her chair, sometimes she approaches on sticks. The P&O ones are still too high though, for her anyway.

Incidentally, what your or your wife's view on floor level fridges?

Quick question regarding getting to the terminal early? 

I currently have a boarding time of 3.15 which is a lot later than we usually get. 
we have a 3hr45min drive (with no stops and no delays) 

im thinking of setting off at 9pm. We usually take about 5 hours due to stopping so we’d be down there and parked up with about 1hour to space

now this hour I’m guessing they are going to put us in the “holding pen” they now have, is there anyway they will let us wait inside sat down do you know. Unfortunately I can’t queue, I also can’t be outside away from bathrooms, I do actually have a little access card that has both these symbols on but I just don’t want to get stuck. 

This varies I find.  I had a boarding time of 15:30, I was on Iona at 14:30.  I was waved through.  Only one, at the height of having to do PCRs did I have to wait.  I guess it depends.  If everyone rocked up early and started taking the Michael they may think again and start holding people.  

There are privies available if you have to wait.

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Clearly PI and P&O must be using different criteria to determine the most suitable height for disabled beds.

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

As I wrote in a previous post, we've had PI beds between 41cm and 50, so an inconsistency across the chain.  Our lass fairs better with the ones that are about 49/50cm high. Our bed at home is 55cm high, so she prefers the higher ones; she doesn't always transfer directly from her chair, sometimes she approaches on sticks. The P&O ones are still too high though, for her anyway.

Incidentally, what your or your wife's view on floor level fridges?

My wife could not use the fridge on her own, so perhaps my view is not relevant.  Although if there was a demand from disabled cruises for a higher level fridge I would have no objections.

As far as the beds are concerned I will be asking P&O  for something like an indoor mobility half step to enable my wife to feel safer getting in and out of bed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Clearly PI and P&O must be using different criteria to determine the most suitable height for disabled beds.

I can say all hotels are in the process of getting new beds to be higher I do not know the measurements. They will be easier to get hoists underneath now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

I currently have a boarding time of 3.15 which is a lot later than we usually get. 

im thinking of setting off at 9pm. We usually take about 5 hours due to stopping so we’d be down there and parked up with about 1hour to space

now this hour I’m guessing they are going to put us in the “holding pen” they now have, is there anyway they will let us wait inside sat down do you know. Unfortunately I can’t queue, I also can’t be outside away from bathrooms, I do actually have a little access card that has both these symbols on but I just don’t want to get stuck. 

When I couldn't stand following an accident I completed the access form and asked could I sit inside by email.  It was acknowledged and the seat was waiting no problem, in fact they were going to let me jump the queue as I had 4.00pm boarding. Excellent service, I'd email if I was you, seems if you're upfront they try everything to help.

Edited by Megabear2

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

@TigerB Thank you for another brilliant review. I’m glad that you made the food (with loads of photos) the main thrust of your review, as that was the aspect where we felt that Iona was excellent.

The fact that you don’t mention problems getting around the ship via lift suggests that our problems were indeed caused primarily by the fact that we had 5,750 people on our cruise - now that really was rammed! Obviously this was exacerbated by the fact that the lifts are too small for how busy the ship can get, a fact that was confirmed when we had no issues whatsoever on Ventura with nigh on half the passengers but noticeably larger lifts. 

It was also very interesting that you didn’t mention the rough seas (and impact on passenger comfort) as much on the outward run, which confirms my hunch that Ventura and Azura don’t handle rough seas as well as the other ships. Although I didn’t feel seasick at all during our Ventura cruise, and my wife was only ill for one day (probably not helped by her neurological condition affecting balance at the best of times), there were a lot of people struggling on our cruise during the same crossing that you had. There were prolonged periods when it was difficult to stand up without holding on to something (I was grateful to be holding on to a wheelchair) and walking along was up hill and down hill!

Interesting that even with fewer passengers you still experienced patchy service in places and notably in Olive Grove. We absolutely loved the food in Olive Grove, and felt that it was a superb addition to the food offering on P&O ships, but service was poor on the occasions that we dined there. With the exception of the MDR (which was excellent), we found Iona to be understaffed in relation to the huge numbers of passenger on board and again, this was brought home by the sharp contrast on both Britannia and Ventura where we had no service issues anywhere. As has been discussed previously, cruise ships have a unique challenge that land based hotels don’t have, in that their staff numbers can’t flex up and down as customer numbers go up and down, so if you go in peak season (as we did) you get an entirely different experience to someone who goes off peak, with the same staff numbers dealing with far more passengers. 

I’m sure that we are not alone in getting to know quite a few staff very well during our cruises, whether that be stewards, bar staff or restaurant staff, and when I have asked them which ships they’ve worked on and which they prefer, quite a few have said to us that they and their friends least like working on Iona and Arvia due to how busy the ships are and the impact that has on their roles. This comes as no surprise to us, as I mentioned during my Iona review that, in addition to struggling to get served in bars during our Iona cruise, we couldn’t help but notice that the staff didn’t seem as happy as on the other ships. That would obviously be magnified during peak school holidays, which is when we went!

You did well to find the accessible shuttle in Lisbon as we couldn’t. That being said, as you have since discovered, it’s easier and quicker just to walk there. You were right that you relegated us into the cheap seats in Cadiz but, in fairness, the port provided (free) shuttle was brilliant. No waits and most buses were wheelchair accessible. The new style accessible shuttle that you experienced in one of your ports does indeed look excellent. Let’s hope that they start to appear in more locations. 

I’m glad that you seemed to enjoy your cruise, in spite of your wife being unwell for part of it. Iona is certainly a great ship for food lovers and the accessible deluxe balcony cabin that we had was superb. Sadly, Lady S will not be shifted in her view that our experience in August is not one that she wishes to repeat and, much as I stress that our problems were exacerbated by it being peak school holidays, Iona and Arvia remain firmly off our list of cruise options. This wasn’t helped by us meeting several different people on our Ventura cruise who had been on Arvia who, when I asked how they found it (hoping that they would give a positive account which might give my wife pause for thought) they replied “never again” 🙄😂

I'm not sure about the stabilisers on Ventura and the other smaller ships, but the ones that Iona and Arvia use appear to make a difference. As I understand, the ships have to reduce speed to use them, so that also may make a difference. When I saw you off our port side you were way off in the distance, so you would have been closer to the Bay of Biscay than us.

The accessible minibuses at Lisbon were just as you left the terminal, where the regular buses for Iona were reversing. Ventura passengers were being sent fifty feet or so along the way.  It was only when we were on our vehicle that we realised it was shared. To be honest, I don't know why all the buses couldn't be a shared service with Ventura.

Never say never about Iona.  I truly believe that, if you sailed on her when there were no school shutdowns at all you may have a different experience.  Same goes for Arvia, but not just yet; she needs a good while yet to bed in properly.

I'll be covering other things you have mentioned in my 'epilogue' post.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Never thought about it TBH. Don’t tend to use the fridge. However I tend to do everything anyway. 

Considerate chap that you are, I imagine before you go walkabout you would ask Lady S. " would you like me to get you anything out of the fridge dear ?.🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

With your access card I don't think you would have a problem gaining access to the terminal; it is after all a medical condition.  Where you see the queue, just after the last luggage drop off, keep to the left and bypass it; you should then find one of the special assistance team on that side of the queue. They are always very accommodating.  I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you do go directly to check-in.

As MB writes, just be upfront.

A word of warning though, don't leave it until 9pm to leave; you will miss the boat! 🤭

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

When I couldn't stand following an accident I completed the access form and asked could I sit inside by email.  It was acknowledged and the seat was waiting no problem, in fact they were going to let me jump the queue as I had 4.00pm boarding. Excellent service, I'd email if I was you, seems if you're upfront they try everything to help.

access form on p&o? I have an access card thingy 

15 minutes ago, TigerB said:

With your access card I don't think you would have a problem gaining access to the terminal; it is after all a medical condition.  Where you see the queue, just after the last luggage drop off, keep to the left and bypass it; you should then find one of the special assistance team on that side of the queue. They are always very accommodating.  I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you do go directly to check-in.

As MB writes, just be upfront.

A word of warning though, don't leave it until 9pm to leave; you will miss the boat! 🤭

hahaha that’s me and trying to do a million things at once. I meant am 😂 to be honest 9am will be the latest we have left. I want to make sure I have enough leeway for traffic/issues but I don’t want to turn up to early and inconvenience everyone. 
im just excited for a holiday. Nearly 6 months without one is killing me. 
we were even talking this morning about breakfast. Apparently my girls want eggs Benedict (I can’t cos of the snotty eggs 😔)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

In your cruise personalised under before you sail there's a new online mobility form.  I ignored the stuff about walking aids etc just ticked no assistance but on page 3 under hidden disabilities ticked yes and put in there I needed access to a chair at embarkation due to such and such condition. I submitted it and dropped an email to the address on the form explaining I had the hidden disability and received an email saying it was noted.

As Tiger said went to the accessible line and my name was on the list and I was whizzed in, chair for a couple of minutes and then straight checked in.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

As @Megabear2 says, it is important that those with genuine issues complete the required form in advance of the cruise. 

I have been told that from December P&O are going to start clamping down on the use of the assistance service, in order to reduce the number of people who manage perfectly well throughout the cruise, but suddenly need ‘assistance’ for embarkation or disembarkation when they perceive that it will give them some advantage, such as getting off the ship quicker (which it doesn’t). I believe that the first step will be to only assist those who have completed the on board needs questionnaire in advance. 

• Like 1

Hopefully by filling in the new mobility form online it won't go missing. As I've mentioned before I filled in and e-mailed an accessablity form for my mother and noted her allergy. Her name was not on the list for assistance but she received a letter regarding her allergy. Both were sent in the same e-mail.

33 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Hopefully by filling in the new mobility form online it won't go missing. As I've mentioned before I filled in and e-mailed an accessablity form for my mother and noted her allergy. Her name was not on the list for assistance but she received a letter regarding her allergy. Both were sent in the same e-mail.

The new online version gives you an option to save the completed form, which you can then print. I have printed them off as evidence just to be safe (given what I’ve been told - post #71), although as my wife is a full time wheelchair user and therefore has her own wheelchair, I would hope that we would never be questioned as it is blatantly obvious that she has a genuine disability. 

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The new online version gives you an option to save the completed form, which you can then print. I have printed them off as evidence just to be safe (given what I’ve been told - post #71), although as my wife is a full time wheelchair user and therefore has her own wheelchair, I would hope that we would never be questioned as it is blatantly obvious that she has a genuine disability. 

yes you wouldn’t have thought that you’d ever be questioned. It’s the hidden disabilities that are difficult hence why I sent off for one of those access cards, you have to send all your medical information to them and then they have to agree. It’s something I got as it’s a little annoying being judged all the time but it’s human nature. 

im not actually sure other than for embarkation what P&o could even help me with. I don’t mind waiting an hour to board, I just can’t wait stood in a line or not need a bathroom. Think the only other time is if there were long queues to get back onto the ship, with no where to sit that it would be an issue. 

but I will find the form and fill it in. Belt and braces 

• Like 2