Confused about specialty dining credits with Premiere/credit card charges

anon2k2

I’m a total newbie to Princess and have only taken one cruise on Norwegian about 15 years ago. We are going to take a Christmas cruise on Ruby and chose the Premiere package. The package is supposed to include two specialty dining credits per person. 

When I booked reservations at Crown and Sabatini on the app, they charged my credit card.  When I called the 800 number to ask why, they said that charging a credit card instead of credits was standard if you make your reservations prior to boarding. You only can use the credits if you walk up or make reservations onboard. 

That seems like a ridiculous policy, but I thought I’d ask the real experts here what your experience with this has been. Is this normal on Princess?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, anon2k2 said:

I’m a total newbie to Princess and have only taken one cruise on Norwegian about 15 years ago. We are going to take a Christmas cruise on Ruby and chose the Premiere package. The package is supposed to include two specialty dining credits per person. 

When I booked reservations at Crown and Sabatini on the app, they charged my credit card.  When I called the 800 number to ask why, they said that charging a credit card instead of credits was standard if you make your reservations prior to boarding. You only can use the credits if you walk up or make reservations onboard. 

That seems like a ridiculous policy, but I thought I’d ask the real experts here what your experience with this has been. Is this normal on Princess?

Yes, that's about the size of it.  Need to wait until you're onboard to sort out your specialty dining credits.

27 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, that's about the size of it.  Need to wait until you're onboard to sort out your specialty dining credits.

Thanks for your reply, do you happen to know if they will be able to undo the charges and then apply the dining credits, or will I have to cancel my current reservation and make new ones? Truly grateful for those who share their knowledge with us newcomers.

25 minutes ago, anon2k2 said:

Thanks for your reply, do you happen to know if they will be able to undo the charges and then apply the dining credits, or will I have to cancel my current reservation and make new ones? Truly grateful for those who share their knowledge with us newcomers.

The APP is supposed to recognize you have the Premier pkg and your first 2 specialty dining reservations should have been zeroed out, meaning it will show the normal cover charge, but then show a credit so your total due is 0.00. This was what happened when I made my reservations for my sailings on the Emerald, Majestic, and Discovery in the past few months when I had the Premier package and made Specialty dining reservations on the APP, pre cruise.

I have heard of reports where the APP does not recognize you have dining credits and wants a credit card for payment. 

Make a copy of your charges/credit card statement to show you were charged so they can be refunded on board, they may issue you refundable OBC as that is probably easier than trying to issue a refund to your credit card.

Also verify your booking indeed shows you have the Premier package, it can be found in the Travel Summary of your booking in the cruise Personalizer. When you go into your booking on the website. Look for Boarding pass and Travel summary, click on this link, then click Print Travel Summary, scroll down and you should see the amenities connected to your booking.

• Like 2

Just now, anon2k2 said:

You will not be refunded for what you've already reserved, but they will give you OBC (on board credit) in an equal amount so it all equals out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anon2k2 said:

No, it is not policy.  What is ridiculous is that the Princess App IT team cannot program their way out of a wet paper bag, so some guests run into issues booking and others don't.  If you can get the right person on the phone at Princess (choose Dine My Way help in the phone tree selections), they might be able to make a res for you.  Otherwise, you either wait or live with getting refundable OBC on the ship.  That said, the App may allow you to make a free res another time.  

Try cancelling your res.  Then use the web version of the app (linked via Princess.com) to access DMW and try the res again and see what happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anon2k2 said:

Absolutely not true!  We have Premier package and I was able to book two specialty dinners at no extra cost.  Did not even ask for credit card.  It clearly stated that we were using our Premier benefits.  I booked a third dinner and I was asked to pay by credit card.  When I check our dining reservations everything is exactly as it should be for the entire cruise.  For some reason the app does not work for everyone.  So weird!

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Absolutely not true!  We have Premier package and I was able to book two specialty dinners at no extra cost.  Did not even ask for credit card.  It clearly stated that we were using our Premier benefits.  I booked a third dinner and I was asked to pay by credit card.  When I check our dining reservations everything is exactly as it should be for the entire cruise.  For some reason the app does not work for everyone.  So weird!

You are absolutely correct!  
Just not more than 3 minutes ago, I made reservations for 2 specialty restaurants and was not charged as we have the premier package.  
Yesterday, I canceled one and it was going to charge my credit card when I went to book a different restaurant.  I gave it a day and bingo, the credit was back this morning… that’s when I made my new reservation.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You are absolutely correct!  
Just not more than 3 minutes ago, I made reservations for 2 specialty restaurants and was not charged as we have the premier package.  
Yesterday, I canceled one and it was going to charge my credit card when I went to book a different restaurant.  I gave it a day and bingo, the credit was back this morning… that’s when I made my new reservation.  

Yes, the app likes to take its time with any changes.  I have those days myself lol.

• Like 1

We have an upcoming cruise (in less than 2 weeks) with the Premiere Package and our very familiar with the Princess app and policies.  We are unable to book any specialty restaurant unless we are willing to have the charge immediately put against our credit card.  The two free meals (included in the Premiere Package) are not accessible from the app (on our phone or PC) and Princess policy does not allow the use of On Board Credit (OBC) for the restaurants until after boarding the ship.  While some may be able to access the free (included meals), some of us cannot!  We have talked to Princess (twice) and their folks say "there is nothing we can do" other than to elevate the software issue.  The only suggestion (from two different Princess staff) is to pay for alternative restaurants and try to seek reimbursement once aboard (which would likely be added to our already generous OBC).

As a long time cruiser (more then 50 years of extensive cruising) we view this kind of issue as "small stuff" and, at worst, an inconvenience.  Unlike a majority of Princess cruisers, DW and I enjoy dining late and it is usually possible to get onboard reservations in the various venues for those of us happy to dine at 8:30 or even 9.   That being said, a majority of Princess cruisers are early diners and many of them are going to be unhappy because we already see, that on our 14 day cruise, most of the early dining slots are gone.   In fact, on Princess a majority of the complaints we have heard, on past cruisers, is from the early diners because of hassles in the MDRs, difficulty getting reservations in the alternate restaurants, and the crowded conditions in the main theater for the shows attended by early diners.

One lesson we have learned, from far more than 1000 days on ships, is to "roll with the waves."   For those willing (and able) to alter their personal habits, it is usually possible to find the "sweet spot" (in terms of timing) on most cruises.  Folks that are unyielding i their desire to dine at 6-7 are generally going to spend more time in queues, dealing with crowded shows, etc.  Folks that are willing to adapt and dine late (usually after eight) will usually have a completely different kind of experience.  That is just the way it is on mass market lines.  

Hank

16 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And keep in mind...very often it looks like it is going to charge your card but I have seen it where it would "zero" out at the final screen. 

We actually tested that theory and saw the charge hit our credit card account,  As I have said (in multiple posts) this has been confirmed by the Princess folks (twice) who have no solution.  The mistake some make (here) is to assume that because something works for them it will work for all.  With Princess, app issues seem to be hit/miss with each specific reservation.  One would think that Princess has an easy fix, but that is contrary to what we hear from the Princess folks.

30 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And keep in mind...very often it looks like it is going to charge your card but I have seen it where it would "zero" out at the final screen. 

It’s been several days now, but both charges are on my AMEX statement and nothing has been credited back.