Formal nights?

Oliver6144

Hello, We will be going on a 9 day cruise in January.  First time on Celebrity, we normally do Royal and we haven’t cruised since 2019.  My question is formal nights.  How many would there be on a 9 day cruise, and do people still wear suits or would a shirt and tie be sufficient?

Thanks for all your input!

29 minutes ago, Oliver6144 said:

Hello, We will be going on a 9 day cruise in January.  First time on Celebrity, we normally do Royal and we haven’t cruised since 2019.  My question is formal nights.  How many would there be on a 9 day cruise, and do people still wear suits or would a shirt and tie be sufficient?

Thanks for all your input!

There would normally be two "Evening chic" nights on a nine day cruise.  They would normally be the first and last full sea days. 

As @awhfy post showed, suit and or shirt and tie would be appropriate.  I normally just wear a dress shirt and dress slacks.  

• Like 1

We just did a 9 nite on Beyond. First sea day was chic night and evening of day 8. We saw maybe 2 men in a tux, a few in suites, some in jackets.  Many just wore a nice shirt, some with ties, some without.  So it doesn't matter what you wear, you will fit right in. 

No need to wear either jacket or tie on Celebrity's “evening chic” nights.  I just wear pants and a nice shirt and on all the cruises I’ve done in the Caribbean on Celebrity ships I’d say this is what the majority of men wear.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I have lost some 25 pounds and now can wear my tux for the first time in years. Wife has long dresses she gets no other chance to wear. Will we feel awkward on our ABC cruise in Feb?

Nope. You do you. There will be others decked out. If I am on a cruise with my early 20's daughter, I will be in a 3 piece suit every chic/formal/dress your best night, and possibly any specialty restaurant night. She loves to dress, so I accommodate her. I have found the easiest way to determine what to wear is to just ask whichever woman I am traveling with how they want me dressed (I cruise with wife, daughter, and mother...rarely at the same time).

Edited by RedIguana
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I have lost some 25 pounds and now can wear my tux for the first time in years. Wife has long dresses she gets no other chance to wear. Will we feel awkward on our ABC cruise in Feb?

I think you’ll be just fine.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Congratulations on the weight loss. I can't speak for you but we wouldn't feel awkward. Been there, done that. As Celebrity says, "dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way".  

• Thanks 1

Dress up if you like. However, don’t be upset when you see the people who are casual every night.  Celebrity calls it chic night. Most people do their own thing. On my last X cruise, many people wore tees and shorts every night.  Since X doesn’t turn guests away when they dress in shorts, they are now acceptable dress.  Your cruise, wear anything you like.

• Thanks 1