“LIVE” from Apex, December 2nd-First Celeb to the Carib Sailing!

niksmom630

17 hours ago, niksmom630 said:

Debarkation was easy until you got to the taxi line. Uber was no better, 15-20 minutes… think it was just a busy day in port. We walked off around 9, and were on our way to the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina. 

again, our “go to” usually , not no more. Lots of changes, and not in a positive way….its been under “construction” for a few years it seems. 

the first thing we noticed is the poolside bar/restaurant is gone 

IMG_6511.thumb.jpeg.015118929f18d9b1b1529061ed0d11fa.jpeg

this is where is used to be. 😟 

A positive is the location can’t be beat for for yacht shopping… 

IMG_6507.thumb.jpeg.cb040d9675283f5dff3d258325da0cac.jpeg

IMG_6508.thumb.jpeg.e25c3ba4517380696734c33a8f263cf3.jpeg

DH really outdid himself on my Xmas gift  this year 😔🥳

IMG_6509.thumb.jpeg.f18a8ffaeb58e8011df1b3bb1018abf9.jpeg

IMG_6510.thumb.jpeg.12945ba1d955b52436602dd4f5ae9921.jpeg

I stayed there in January 2023.  Never again. Crazy expensive. The room wasn’t ready until 6pm. Average service at best. Drinks were served in the cheapest 10oz plastic cups possible.  I honestly thought when they were making it, if I was at some private party, until they asked for the $18+ for the drink. 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, depplep said:

I appreciate the comments about the Hilton as we are Diamond level with them and always choose Hilton where available. On a side note, I just paid $18.95 plus 18% gratuity and tax for a Rum Punch at Universal Thanksgiving weekend. The world has gone mad. Thanks for the review.

we used to really like this property. I’ve probably covered it in several reviews over the years. The outdoor bar/pool area, views of the port have been highlights. A few years ago they started a major construction project. For awhile their lobby was located in a conference room, and the main entrance wasn’t even open. 

the changes they’ve made have all been detrimental, in my view. The lobby got smaller, so it’s a madhouse on weekends. I’ve noticed the prices creeping up also, and spent some time at the pool this trip  because we were there most of the day…. Half the pool loungers were ripped or sagging. Thats basic maintenance and one would expect more from a hotel at this price point. 

I really just want someplace clean, comfortable, with a nice pool

and outdoor area that gives a “happy start” to vacation vibe. Water views are a plus… 😍 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, niksmom630 said:

@hcat thanks! The mugs were $20. DH thought they were more expensive than the ones we usually purchase, but I like a travel mug for coffee in the mornings to keep it hot longer. We purchase them on most sailings, sometimes they get abandoned if there’s little space left in the luggage, but I’ll be keeping these. Better quality than the plastic exterior insulated mugs we normally get from Royal 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:33 PM, niksmom630 said:

thanks, @DaKahuna, just booked the renaissance for our 2024 sailing in November on ascent! 

We stayed at the Renaissance on Saturday night.  It's always been my go to hotel here, but this was a less than stellar experience.  I'll talk about it again in my Apex Live on Saturday, but there are two issues.  First, the lounge is still not open, over two years after the post Covid reopening.  The very (plus for hotel) friendly clerk who checked us in had no idea when and if it would.  She did give us water and chips though.  And I get free breakfast buffet, so that was Ok.

The bigger issue is that they are replacing the elevators and only one was working.  Sunday is a very busy ship day (ships I saw:  Symphony OTS (us), Caribbean Princess, Ruby Princess, Celebrity Ascent, Celebrity Equinox, and a Holland America - Niew Statendam I think.  So elevator waits were over 5 minutes.  We were on floor 10 of 12.  When it came time to take our shuttle, we waited 6 minutes, and the elevator opened, no room for us, so we ended up taking the service elevator.  My view was that with only one elevator, they should have only filled the hotel to no more than 2/3 capacity.

We have it again in February, but I'll be calling in a month to see if elevator construction is done.  It will be in my 2/9 Beyond blog.  I can live with the lounge, but not the elevator.

20 hours ago, niksmom630 said:

we used to really like this property. I’ve probably covered it in several reviews over the years. The outdoor bar/pool area, views of the port have been highlights. A few years ago they started a major construction project. For awhile their lobby was located in a conference room, and the main entrance wasn’t even open. 

the changes they’ve made have all been detrimental, in my view. The lobby got smaller, so it’s a madhouse on weekends. I’ve noticed the prices creeping up also, and spent some time at the pool this trip  because we were there most of the day…. Half the pool loungers were ripped or sagging. Thats basic maintenance and one would expect more from a hotel at this price point. 

I really just want someplace clean, comfortable, with a nice pool

and outdoor area that gives a “happy start” to vacation vibe. Water views are a plus… 😍 

Our opinion of the Marina as well and always recommended it..  Stayed many years pre cruise in a high floor room, overlooking ships (which room were you in, same view but lower down; we were on mid 14th and I think the lower view is better from your photos) and enjoyed the patio dining in the pool area.   Now it's gone with no replacement except a small booth with umbrella serving drinks and loungers in very poor condition (last month, maybe not there now?).  Dining is in a super expensive, small mostly fish menu, very nice attached restaurant but not what most cruisers are looking for.  Room charge in Canadian $$s is quite high, but I booked early so doable for a renovated property.  The $30 service charge came off at check out, I suppose because we dined at their restaurant for dinner and breakfast (had a very good buffet but also pricey).  Reno isn't what we expected so will now be looking elsewhere.  Never use room service but if we did, that would be a turn off.  The Riverside doesn't seem very nice.  Maybe the Hilton Conrad next time. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The Riverside doesn't seem very nice.  Maybe the Hilton Conrad next time. 

If you prefer sterile chains, it may not be for you, the Wife and I have always had great stays there. From boat watching at the river to the variety of bars, restaurants, shopping etc..lots to do. 

52 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you prefer sterile chains, it may not be for you, the Wife and I have always had great stays there. From boat watching at the river to the variety of bars, restaurants, shopping etc..lots to do. 

I agree. We love the suites in the old section and the location is great! So many restaurants and bars to choose from. The hotel has a wonderful terrace for hanging out and easy access to a water taxi to go sight seeing or perhaps go to the beach.

Sipping a cocktail on the second floor balcony - overlooking Las Olas - after flying down to FLL can't be beat! The balcony spans the entire front of the original hotel on the second floor and serves 2 suites. Great to have a living room and kitchen too. 

I guess if someone traveled for work and has airline/hotel status they may enjoy the benefits, but to me it limits choice. I alway look for a boutique hotel when traveling and some really nice ones are now owned by the chains. Usually they keep the character of the property but raise the price dramatically and often cut some of the services. 

We used to go in a day early and stay at a "pre cruise" hotel, whereas now we will arrive 3 to 7 days pre cruise and enjoy the area. It is great to be retired! 

IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8288.JPG

IMG_8289.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

Edited by billc23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, abbydancer said:

We stayed at the Renaissance on Saturday night.  It's always been my go to hotel here, but this was a less than stellar experience.  I'll talk about it again in my Apex Live on Saturday, but there are two issues.  First, the lounge is still not open, over two years after the post Covid reopening.  The very (plus for hotel) friendly clerk who checked us in had no idea when and if it would.  She did give us water and chips though.  And I get free breakfast buffet, so that was Ok.

I had forgotten about the lounge being closed.  We are normally there on weekends and even pre-COVID the lounge was closed from Friday after breakfast until Sunday evening. 

I do like the free breakfast buffet.  They have real biscuits and sausage gravy! 

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Billc23, I have stayed in that room… 🙂

I'll be there in a month pre Ascent! I always book it a year or more ahead of time and I was hesitant to post about it since there are only two. Lago Mar Beach Resort is great also if traveling with young ones or prefer staying on the beach.

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I had forgotten about the lounge being closed.  We are normally there on weekends and even pre-COVID the lounge was closed from Friday after breakfast until Sunday evening. 

You mean the bar is closed at the Renaissance??    (We were there in November and it was open . . .  The bartender was somewhat crabby and it was packed.)

Edited by kokopelli-az

20 hours ago, billc23 said:

I'll be there in a month pre Ascent! I always book it a year or more ahead of time and I was hesitant to post about it since there are only two. Lago Mar Beach Resort is great also if traveling with young ones or prefer staying on the beach.

Boarding Ascent the 21st of Jan myself.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

22 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

You mean the bar is closed at the Renaissance??    (We were there in November and it was open . . .  The bartender was somewhat crabby and it was packed.)

No the Concierge lounge. The bar has always been open and yes, the bartender has always seemed overwhelmed, although when we were there in April, he recognized us from having been there in February and greeted us with a smile. 

On 12/8/2023 at 3:28 PM, schooner_Drinker said:

So 

On arriving at Taino Bay head left when you reach land 

Hug the walkway keeping the ocean on your left

Go past the Big pool and Big Tiki bar 

Keep to the left and when you see a large bridge over the lazy River 

Take a left into the island 🏝️ surrounded by the lazy River 

Here you find day beds and cabanas that unlike Royal charge $499 per day to utilize here they are FREE 

Nice shade and there is a bar and food places within small walking distance 

Once when there all they asked was you purchased a drink of any kind 

Don't tell too many people, as like anything, it won’t be a hidden gem for long 😉

Nancy 🍹

Chris - Hope you had a nice relaxing spa day 👍🏻

We enjoyed our recent visit to this port, I agree that the Cruise Port set up was tastefully done, we also incorporated a walk into town to sample the real local culture which is definitely worth doing, I have attached a few photos.

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9870.jpeg

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9905.jpeg

IMG_9886.png

IMG_9875.jpeg

On 12/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, DaKahuna said:

I do like the free breakfast buffet.  They have real biscuits and sausage gravy! 

Oh yeah, it's been so long that I'd forgotten that the lounge was closed on weekends.  (When my sister and I cruised in 17,18 and 19 I got a free night each year that was good at a Marriott in North Fort Lauderdale, so we'd stay there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Oh yeah, it's been so long that I'd forgotten that the lounge was closed on weekends.  (When my sister and I cruised in 17,18 and 19 I got a free night each year that was good at a Marriott in North Fort Lauderdale, so we'd stay there.

I have not stayed there.  We will be staying at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale airport the night before our Divina cruise in February.  It will be the first time we have stayed at this hotel.  

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have not stayed there.  We will be staying at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale airport the night before our Divina cruise in February.  It will be the first time we have stayed at this hotel.  

For that hotel, you probably need a car, since it's about 20 minutes from the airport.

We did once stay at the Airport Marriott after a cruise.  It's nice.  It has an M club on the lobby level, and it's also across the street from an outdoor mall with lots of food choices, and (if memory serves) an ice cream kiosk.  I'd stay there again.

Just now, abbydancer said:

For that hotel, you probably need a car, since it's about 20 minutes from the airport.

We did once stay at the Airport Marriott after a cruise.  It's nice.  It has an M club on the lobby level, and it's also across the street from an outdoor mall with lots of food choices, and (if memory serves) an ice cream kiosk.  I'd stay there again.

Yes, I read that in the hotel review and also noticed they have a free shuttle to/from the airport. 

Our plan is to grab our bags, take the hotel shuttle, spend the night, and take a Lyft/Uber to Miami cruise port.  When the ship returns, we'll go Lyft/Uber from the ship to FLL.  

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, I read that in the hotel review and also noticed they have a free shuttle to/from the airport. 

Our plan is to grab our bags, take the hotel shuttle, spend the night, and take a Lyft/Uber to Miami cruise port.  When the ship returns, we'll go Lyft/Uber from the ship to FLL.  

Good plan.  BTW, there was a sign in the shuttle about charges, but they don't apply to airport pickup.

We were there after a cruise ending in Miami, and decided to spend the night (sometimes when it's either a very late flight, or too early, we'll do that.  We used a Celebrity transfer to FLL, and then grabbed the shuttle from there.  

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Quick question to the OP (if still watching):

You mentioned you stayed aboard in San Juan due to your dinner time and the late arrival.  Was the MDR full that night?  We had an overnight once in Aruba that we arrived mid-afternoon and when we showed up at the MDR it was pretty empty.  Was thinking if so this might be a good night for the Rooftop Grill.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 11:35 AM, Al Aboard said:

Quick question to the OP (if still watching):

You mentioned you stayed aboard in San Juan due to your dinner time and the late arrival.  Was the MDR full that night?  We had an overnight once in Aruba that we arrived mid-afternoon and when we showed up at the MDR it was pretty empty.  Was thinking if so this might be a good night for the Rooftop Grill.

Al

MDR was empty--we assumed people were eating in San Juan...I tried Rooftop Grill on a Med sailing on the Edge, and liked it

20 minutes ago, niksmom630 said:

MDR was empty--we assumed people were eating in San Juan...I tried Rooftop Grill on a Med sailing on the Edge, and liked it

Thanks.  And thank you for taking all the time out of your trip to answer everyone's questions.