Spa gratuities and tips?

tartanmom

I've booked a couples massage for my daughter and myself on our upcoming cruise. Having never been to the spa before, is the 18% gratuity surcharge considered to be the tip? Do you tip over that if it is fabulous and do you just hand them cash or top up what is charged to the room?  I did go years ago for a manicure and the whole experienced was tainted by the hard core push at the end to sell their products despite me nicely telling them I was interested (over and over) So I'm hopeful that that doesn't happen this time around and I leave less stressed  😀

1 hour ago, tartanmom said:

Having never been to the spa before, is the 18% gratuity surcharge considered to be the tip?

Yes. I've never been inclined to tip higher, so don't know the best method. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it's just like a land-based restaurant that adds an automatic gratuity (often for parties larger than 8).  You can lower or remove that gratuity by speaking with a manager, as presumably there has been a service failure driving one to want to do so.  If you had an exceptionally good experience and want to tip more, there will be a line to add it when you sign the final bill at the spa.  And I'm sure they're good accepting cash, too.

• Thanks 1

I have had 4 massages and would have more but I also find the sales pitch at the end breaks the mood and relaxing vibe you went there for in the first place! Here are a few things you can do:

--Don't divulge anything on the questionnaire, the least said the better. They use that info to sell products.

--Write on top of questionnaire *Please No Selling* and again check off very few "problems".

--Just smile and shake you head over and over and say, "thank you...no... thankyou"

All of these have worked but it does feel awkward. I would like to hear any other ideas.

The 18% tip is added to your bill like you said, but there is a line for an additional tip, which is deducted from your account. That is totally a personal decision.

Good Luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am on a cruise and I found that the massage therapist was quite assertive about an extra "tip."  It ruined the experience for me as she was not the friendliest. I have prepaid another booking and if it is the same therapist she won't get an extra tip unless her attitude has changed. The massage was quite good however.

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

If you can't trust me to give you a tip and include it in the bill, that's all your getting.

For many countries tipping is not the norm, and unfortunately some of us from the countries that do tip see it as a money grab.  We don't mind them automatically adding 18% as long as we can adjust it up or down as needed.

An automatic gratuity is the tip.  I never feel compelled to double tip any more than I feel compelled to pay double for the cruise fare or excursions.

I'm seeing more and more tip jars at self service counters where all they do is ring up my purchase.

Neither direct or subtle pressure works with me.

• Like 4

I don't know about the spa people, but, yes, the hair dressers are still pushing the products.  They not only push the products, they add the additional $90 to your bill, after explaining . .  something . . . in broken English.  The word "gift" came though.  Once I found out they were not gifts, I immediately returned the Karastese products.  The products are good, but they are no bargain on the ship.  The hairdresser was very good, but the sales pitches need to cease.  

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I don't know about the spa people, but, yes, the hair dressers are still pushing the products.  They not only push the products, they add the additional $90 to your bill, after explaining . .  something . . . in broken English.  The word "gift" came though.  Once I found out they were not gifts, I immediately returned the Karastese products.  The products are good, but they are no bargain on the ship.  The hairdresser was very good, but the sales pitches need to cease.  

What we need is a Spa to English Dictionary to complement to Waiter to English and Call Center to English editions.

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm seeing more and more tip jars at self service counters where all they do is ring up my purchase.

I’m SO tired of this. In so many places.

The only people I tip are waiter/waitresses and the lady who does my hair. I’ll give additional money to people who work on my house occasionally- ( we had a tree trimmer who we felt didn’t charge what his work was worth). On vacation, usually extra for our stewards, a few others, guides/drivers and Uber if we use the service.

It’s bad enough that so many retailers around here are also asking for donations for the Cause d’Jour. My answer is no- I choose which organizations I donate to and support- no need to go through a third party to donate on my behalf.

• Like 1

I had a massage on the first cruise I was ever on, and the sales pitch--well, the sales PUSHY PUSH--was so bad I've never booked another massage aboard ship, ever.  It really ruined the experience for me, and clearly, I still have bad memories from it!  It's really too bad--I would have probably bought something at least, but after fending this lady off for 10 minutes I was done.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m SO tired of this. In so many places.

The only people I tip are waiter/waitresses and the lady who does my hair. I’ll give additional money to people who work on my house occasionally- ( we had a tree trimmer who we felt didn’t charge what his work was worth). On vacation, usually extra for our stewards, a few others, guides/drivers and Uber if we use the service.

It’s bad enough that so many retailers around here are also asking for donations for the Cause d’Jour. My answer is no- I choose which organizations I donate to and support- no need to go through a third party to donate on my behalf.

I'm with you   SWMBO and I have a handy man who can do most anything I don't care to do anymore, like heavy lifting or climbing on the roof.  His per hour rate is very low, so I always pay him a good tip.  The payback is he is very responsive to our needs.  A guy like that is gold.

A tattooed coffee head clerk who only rings up my purchase gets zero, despite the tip jar there with a couple of fives in there as a hint.