Rude and Obnoxious Behavior by Couple with Genie

mets123

1 hour ago, dbancroft said:

We were on this sailing also elevator etiquette definately was lost.  Especially the older cruisers they would get on the elevator before we got a chance to exit.

On the sailing we just returned home from, people did this and I would nicely say, "would you please let us get off the elevator before you get on" and then we'd move forward basically blocking them from getting on so that everyone could get off.

I don't agree with the comment from someone about "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".  There are rude people everywhere and you can't hide yourself away but there are ways of dealing nicely with those rude people.  

• Like 1

After the MSC cruise with the rude butler, we were outside the terminal waiting for the off-site parking shuttle. There was a very pleasant and capable employee there, checking in people as they walked up and having them get in a line.  The line had almost enough people to fill the shuttle when a group arrived and walked up to the front. One of the men stated, “We are five.” Their name was checked off the list, but they stayed at the front instead of getting into the line. The employee finally told them, “You can wait there, the shuttle will be pulling up right here”. They were all smiles until the shuttle arrived. The hood of the shuttle was in front of them and the door was in front of the beginning if the line. We heard a gasp as the line of people started getting into the shuttle. They were the last five to get on and had to search for scattered seats. The employee knew exactly how to handle people who thought they were special. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

I don't agree with the comment from someone about "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".  There are rude people everywhere and you can't hide yourself away but there are ways of dealing nicely with those rude people.  

The comment was a reply to a post* saying that the Genie may have reacted that way because the may have been stressed from pressure all week.  The comment was for the Genie, not the OP or the rude passengers. 

* "I would remember that if these folks were really that awful then that genie had been dealing with that constantly for a week. Sometimes folks under stress especially under pressure from someone that has significant power over them don’t make the best snap decisions."

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I noticed this behavior on our Odyssey TA in October.

A few times I had to put my arm out to stop people from entering the elevator while a was helping a lady in a wheelchair.  We don’t need the elevator, we can take the stairs, and do very often, but those in walkers, chairs or scooters have no other choice.

I agree with others, I wouldn’t have gotten off the elevator to let them on. It may have showed them how self centered and uncompassionate  they were behaving. We’re never too old for lessons in life.

Star class gets you some things but not this. Money can buy a lot of things but class isn't one of them. Unfortunately the rude ones are the ones that are used to being given everything in life, those that have worked their butts off to get where they are would not be like that.

12 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

It is not only the guests who are rude. I was physically shoved to the side by an MSC butler charging ahead to clear a path for his group of Yacht Club guests heading to an elevator. 

Sometimes, size does matter.  I don't ever get shoved aside...and my wife clings closely to my side when in crowds.  I take no credit, good genes from my parents!...and lots of Cream of Wheat growing up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Sometimes, size does matter.  I don't ever get shoved aside...and my wife clings closely to my side when in crowds.  I take no credit, good genes from my parents!...and lots of Cream of Wheat growing up!

I would do the same , we do suites and also MSc yacht club and most butlers do not act like that .

13 hours ago, Denversail said:

I would remember that if these folks were really that awful then that genie had been dealing with that constantly for a week. Sometimes folks under stress especially under pressure from someone that has significant power over them don’t make the best snap decisions. I would not suggest sending emails to top brass folks. It feels like this was more of a rude passenger issue. I get what you are saying but in this situation although I wouldn’t be happy with what happened I don’t think I would put it on Royal. 

That Genie could be thinking just like you that if they’d had a few minutes to think they would have reacted differently. Thinking back would you not have commented at the time if you weren’t a little shocked?

Pretty much this. It sounds like the concierge was being ordered, by the customer, to do this. It's obviously wrong, but I know in customer service of any kind, sometimes it's very hard to say no, especially to a huge spender, when your specific job is to keep her happy.

I feel bad for everyone except the snooty woman who gave the order in the first place.

5 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Yes, you are right about that!  My late SO was 6’3”, 240 pounds, and nobody messed with him.  We were on the first sailing of Empress of the Seas return to the fleet, the one where the ship still had major issues and was not ready to sail but went anyway. At debarkation, seemingly half of the passengers were sent to Guest Services because their credit cards did not work. There were at least 200 people milling around when we got there, complete chaos. My SO saw GS employees appear at the front but return to the back rather than help at the counter. He called them out on it, loudly, over the heads of most of those 200 people. Someone immediately made her way through the crowd to help him (or shut him up before there was a riot).   She solved his problem by charging his expenses to my credit card 🙄. And then we were told we could leave. We basically were kicked off the ship. To his credit, before we left he shouted loudly, “That is fine for us, but what about the rest of these people?”