Keep an eye on your shipboard charges!

natshala

We had a lovely dinner in Eden. We had purchased dining/tip online prior to the cruise.

The next day we had a $96 and a $10 charge, both marked Eden, listed on our account. When I called to question these charges, they said we had the “tasting” menu ($96 extra) and the $10 was “extra gratuity” that we had authorized.

I informed him that we did not have the tasting menu, nor did we authorize an extra tip. He apologized and removed the charges.

Honest mistake? Hmm. Just a heads up to watch charges. We could have easily overlooked these. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, natshala said:

We had a lovely dinner in Eden. We had purchased dining/tip online prior to the cruise.

The next day we had a $96 and a $10 charge, both marked Eden, listed on our account. When I called to question these charges, they said we had the “tasting” menu ($96 extra) and the $10 was “extra gratuity” that we had authorized.

I informed him that we did not have the tasting menu, nor did we authorize an extra tip. He apologized and removed the charges.

Honest mistake? Hmm. Just a heads up to watch charges. We could have easily overlooked these. 

Ship happens. I always check our account daily. My responsibility. No different in my everyday life. Glad we have the ability to check daily (on the stateroom TV) compared to years ago when we received an invoice on the last evening of the cruise. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Ship happens. I always check our account daily. My responsibility. No different in my everyday life. Glad we have the ability to check daily (on the stateroom TV) compared to years ago when we received an invoice on the last evening of the cruise. 

Agree.  OP gives great advice.  What makes me scratch my head is do people just pay without checking?  Apps on some lines make this incredibly easy.    

5 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Just a thought. Celebrity has so many packages and extra cost items that accounting must be a nightmare. Fertile ground for mistakes.

and many..too many "mistakes" are made.  We check the on board acct daily,  just like we check our accts at home.

Guests should be given a copy of their signed or initialed authorization at time of purchase.  Instead, it's all loosey goosey.  Takes time to get charges corrected and causes  bad feelings!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, when ordering or accepting food at Eden or any venue it can be necessary to clarify what is being provided.  Waiters will sometimes bring extra food, another entree, etc.  I have not read of charges tied to food that has been brought to the table with the appearance of it being provided as included or gratis, but it would not surprise me to see it.  And, specialty dining means someone is paying twice already. 

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

What makes me scratch my head is do people just pay without checking?

It’s easy to pay without checking when you have a card attached to your account. One assumes that charges will be correct. There are several sailing where I didn’t check the charges. I had obc and dumb faith that things were correct. It wasn’t until I started reading otherwise on cruise critic that I became wise to honest mistakes. Who knows how many beers from the mini fridge I’ve been charged for in the past…🤦‍♀️

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It’s easy to pay without checking when you have a card attached to your account. One assumes that charges will be correct. There are several sailing where I didn’t check the charges. I had obc and dumb faith that things were correct. It wasn’t until I started reading otherwise on cruise critic that I became wise to honest mistakes. Who knows how many beers from the mini fridge I’ve been charged for in the past…🤦‍♀️

Ditto.  And, FWIW, the PDF of the final invoice is emailed usually between 10:30 to Noon after embarkation when one may be on a plane, focused on what was missed, and so on.  It's easy to not want to click on the document.  And, with OBC on the decline, there's a greater chance the errant charge will be to the card on file, and not even from any excess OBC. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Of course it is easy to just blindly pay without confirming a charge.  I may be under the mistaken impression that  most all folk check charges routinely -- on a cruise or anywhere else.