1 Star Mariner

happytotravel

52 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Again, not “important “ to me… I am still trying to navigate the way HAL operates (I am accustomed to sailing with lines that do not use a “status” system, so this is all new).

It is really just  level of perks system. The more you sail, the more you spend, they reward the loyalty with increasing levels of perks. Until you are soooo loyal and have spent soooo much money, they know they have you hooked so the increasing level perks come to an end.   🤑

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sailawayward said:

you are wrong.

I was a “zero” star mariner after I booked my first HAL cruise. It was clearly noted every time I logged in. After reading about getting one star status if one had previously cruised on another Carnival line, I shared the info with the Mariner Society and it was only then I got the one star status. From what I understand, the tile is the gift you get with 1+ star status, every cabin gets a tote bag. 

Edited by bajae
  • Like 2

At some point you finally figure out what you paid to get "free laundry", you could have purchased an entire new wardrobe to toss it out at the end of the cruise.

But you also get to the point when you (almost) feel you owe HAL even more than what you actually paid, for the priceless memories and wonderful itineraries HAL so consistently provides. 

We almost thought we finally had our "last cruise" (due primarily to our age) until we found there was a huge gap in our lives when we not planning and anticipating another one. So off we go again ....next year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think @OlsSalt has a point, that being said most that have reached the lofty 4* status and free laundry really don't look at what that cost them. It is a free bonus on money they would spend anyway, it's all about the cruising; if they want to give away laundry service...cool. I think there are some though who feel the need to mention their "status" to point out how special they are.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, happytotravel said:

I will be doing a b2b. This will be my first time on HAL.  If I understand correctly my 2nd segment will make me a 1 star Mariner.  Will I be getting the following benefits on my return segment?

• Mariner Society Welcome Onboard Lunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • "Mariner Cocktail" voucher to be used anytime during the cruise

You are correct in all points. The Welcome Onboard Luncheon is hard to make it to (limited times) if you do anything else on your turn-around day, and actually on the embarkation day of your next cruise depending on your boarding time! Find out the time from front desk (call?) if not in the Daily.

The collectible is a white-and-blue tile with the ship on it. They have been in short supply since the shut-down/start-up and some have reported getting an IOU.

The Mariner Cocktail is something like an Aperol Spritzer, not too exciting. OK as a starter pre-dinner.

Welcome to Holland America! Enjoy your B2B!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sailawayward said:

Not that it matters, but the "cruise completed" language is no longer included with the loyalty rewards grid.  This image attached was just pulled from HAL's website.  Really not sure why someone at guest services would lie about this to us on embarkation day.  ...Our collectible gift was on our bed when we entered our cabin - a canvas bag which my husband uses often.  Perhaps things have changed since some of you became 1-star mariners in the 1970s. 

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 15.36.34 (2) copy.png

It is not in "the grid" because on the new website the definitions are directly above "the grid". Which you cleverly omitted. This image attached was just pulled from HAL's website.

Mariner New Website.jpg

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

It is not in "the grid" because on the new website the definitions are directly above "the grid". Which you cleverly omitted. This image attached was just pulled from HAL's website.

Mariner New Website.jpg

I apologize, I should not have said "Which you cleverly omitted"; I'm sure you accidentally missed it. Please see above. 

Interesting that the two charts showing the benefits are different.  One shows the free laundry benefit and one omits it.  Both charts indicate that there is no additional benefit when going from four to five star status.  I thought five star status gave us two free dinners in the Pinnacle Grill.  

Ray

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting that the two charts showing the benefits are different.  One shows the free laundry benefit and one omits it.  Both charts indicate that there is no additional benefit when going from four to five star status.  I thought five star status gave us two free dinners in the Pinnacle Grill.  

Ray

Ray -- it is still as you say, you just have to scroll down. Also the specific benefits for 1-2-and-esp.3* are BELOW the columns for 4* and 5* benefits. IOW, 3* 25% off specialty dining is BELOW 4-5* 50% off! 

As far as I can see, it is the same "grid" excepting the busy headers are only in the intro above the grid.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:34 PM, kdakda said:

FYI-----we've been able to use the drink voucher for other drinks besides the special one (within a certain price cap), so you're not obligated to drink something that doesn't sound like something you'd enjoy.

You absolutely are able to use the drink voucher for whatever drink you choose limited only by an $11 price tag. You may "cash it in" at any bar of your choosing on any day you'd like. I now do this every cruise when I don't have HIA, sadly after not knowing better on my first few cruises and discarding them as I didn't care for the Mariner cocktail. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, happytotravel said:

Hi All,

I will be doing a b2b. This will be my first time on HAL.  If I understand correctly my 2nd segment will make me a 1 star Mariner.  Will I be getting the following benefits on my return segment?

• Mariner Society Welcome Onboard Lunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • "Mariner Cocktail" voucher to be used anytime during the cruise
  •  

Thanks, happytotravel

If you have cruised on Princess, Carnival, Cunard, Seabourn, and a few others under the Carnival umbrella, contact the Mariner Society.They will give you one star status on HAL and you will get the gift and lunch and so on on the first leg of your B2B as well as the second. I did it before my first cruise on HAL and I got all the one star Mariner benefits when I boarded. Lots of people pooh-pooh it as not being worth anything, but I enjoyed the embarkation lunch and not having to fight crowds up on the Lido on embarkation day, and the Mariner event during the cruise and I like the tiles. I mean, it's free and easy to do, so why not. Also, when I did my B2B on HAL in 2019, I got a nice plate of chocolates  in my cabin recognizing the fact that I was doing a B2B even though it was separate bookings 

IMG_8934_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, racephoto said:

If you have cruised on Princess, Carnival, Cunard, Seabourn, and a few others under the Carnival umbrella, contact the Mariner Society.They will give you one star status on HAL and you will get the gift and lunch and so on on the first leg of your B2B as well as the second. I did it before my first cruise on HAL and I got all the one star Mariner benefits when I boarded. Lots of people pooh-pooh it as not being worth anything, but I enjoyed the embarkation lunch and not having to fight crowds up on the Lido on embarkation day, and the Mariner event during the cruise and I like the tiles. I mean, it's free and easy to do, so why not. Also, when I did my B2B on HAL in 2019, I got a nice plate of chocolates  in my cabin recognizing the fact that I was doing a B2B even though it was separate bookings 

IMG_8934_Original.jpeg

Thank you Racephoto,

That photo looks very, very tasty.   I haven't sailed on any of the Carnival lines in the past.  I've done the majority on NCL with one Viking river cruise so I'll get my Mariner star on the 2nd cruise.  I think it's always fun to be able to get a little extra if possible.  I've enjoyed those extras on NCL for years.

On embarkation day of my first cruise is the Lido the only place for eating or is the MDR also open?

Again, thanks for your response, happytotrave.

I'm doing a 14-day in 2025 (not in a suite), which will get me to 28 points. It would take a second cruise to get me over the top to 2 star status. And then on my third cruise I get a complimentary picture of the ship.

I want that photo! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Thank you Racephoto,

That photo looks very, very tasty.   I haven't sailed on any of the Carnival lines in the past.  I've done the majority on NCL with one Viking river cruise so I'll get my Mariner star on the 2nd cruise.  I think it's always fun to be able to get a little extra if possible.  I've enjoyed those extras on NCL for years.

On embarkation day of my first cruise is the Lido the only place for eating or is the MDR also open?

Again, thanks for your response, happytotrave.

As far as I know, the MDR is supposed to only be open for the Mariner embarkation lunch. That said, I don't remember anyone checking cards at the door. But this was pre-COVID, and I have only ever been on the Rotterdam VI and the Zaandam.

27 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

The answer depends on the ship... looks like you are asking about the Volendam. The MDR should be open for v.limited hours as I mentioned before. (I do not know about them only being for "Mariners" and not first timers; the pre-shutdown Mariner Luncheon I have experienced was later in the cruise.)

In addition to the Lido (which is not always a zoo!), there is the Dive In which is outside the Lido Market next to the Lido Pool. It is a burger & dog spot, counter-serve, eat somewhere on the deck. "Burgers" include chicken patty and a couple no-meat choices, dogs include a Brat option. Also fries!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, racephoto said:

As far as I know, the MDR is supposed to only be open for the Mariner embarkation lunch.

All accounts post Covid the MDR lunch on embarkation day is for anyone.  Go see if it's open even if someone on staff tells you to go to the Lido!  The official Mariner lunches have been on a day later in the cruise and you will get an invitation if your star level is invited.  That has been my experience post Covid.  

~Nancy

The cool thing about Mariner status / stars, is that it kind of creeps up on you. Getting to each level means that you spent more and more time on one of the ships in either a suite or non suite. Regardless of “Stars” the service and the quality of food etc. is the same for all. My thoughts are as follows, enjoy the cruises and the “Star” collecting as each one of them holds some memories of vacations past.

Cheers,

Rockit

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

All accounts post Covid the MDR lunch on embarkation day is for anyone.  Go see if it's open even if someone on staff tells you to go to the Lido!  The official Mariner lunches have been on a day later in the cruise and you will get an invitation if your star level is invited.  That has been my experience post Covid.  

~Nancy

@happytotravel @racephoto as @oakridger said, crew may tell you to go to the Lido but MDR is likely open w/no invitation needed. It will be the lower level (MDR is 2 levels) and is typically open from 12 - 1 or 1:30.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all,

I will try and head toward the MDR where I'm sure will be quieter.  It is the same on NCL. The crew will only mention the buffet area in order to keep the numbers down in the MDR.

Have a wonderful day planning your next cruise, happytotravel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

Being enrolled in the Mariner Society is NOT the same as being a 1* Mariner.

From the HAL Website (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society)

Mariner Society

When you cruise with Holland America Line, you’re automatically enrolled in our Mariner Society®. ...

★ — One cruise completed

If I enroll in Mariner Society (but not complete my first cruise), would that make me eligible to refer family members to book on the same sailing that we are planning to take together, but in different staterooms? I know the credit I would receive would be for a future sailing, but my family should receive OBC to be used on the sailing we will be on together, right?

LAX

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, LAX said:

If I enroll in Mariner Society (but not complete my first cruise), would that make me eligible to refer family members to book on the same sailing that we are planning to take together, but in different staterooms? I know the credit I would receive would be for a future sailing, but my family should receive OBC to be used on the sailing we will be on together, right?

I don't think there is any way to "enroll" in Mariner Society other than completing a cruise, which makes you a 1-star or lowest level Mariner. I do not believe you can award other first-time HAL cruisers OBC without being a Mariner. 

However, if you have sailed on any other Carnival Group cruiselines, you are automatically (on confirming previous booking) a 1* Mariner, and then your scheme might work.

Edited by crystalspin