Vision of the Seas Current Sailing - Flooding on Deck 7

meldal

Does anyone currently on the 12-day cruise out of Baltimore know anything about the flooding of cabins on deck 7 caused by a broken hot water pipe?

My husband and I (and my sister and brother-in-law) were on the 8-day cruise (on Vision) just prior to this one.  We were on deck 7 - and there was an ongoing problem with water coming from the ceiling in the hallway - just past midship location.  Water was leaking from the ceiling, with carpeting completely soaked.  The crew was doing all they could to fix the problem and dry out the carpeting.  Water was shut off for several hours - which also included Cafe Latitudes.

Someone posted photos on a certain social media site - and mentioned decks 7 and 8.  However, they have not indicated which area of the ship.  Photos of one of the cabins showed a pretty soaked carpet area with towels on the floor (and a maintenance worker vacuuming up water).  Another photo showed water raining down from the ceiling in the hall.  Yet another photo showed several inches of water in the hallway.

I hope these passengers affected by this will be compensated for this disruption.  I doubt that any of them can be moved - since the cruise was fully booked.

• Thanks 1

We were on this cruise, and flooding started at 3:58 am on December 8 on deck 7 forward passageway. A hot water line broke in the passageway ceiling and flooded the hall and surrounding cabins. We woke up to sauna conditions and when my wife stepped out of bed not realizing how hot the water was, she burned her feet.

The crew spent the day cleaning and drying rooms, and since the cruise was booked full, there was nowhere to go but our balcony for most of the day. It took about four days to dry out the room, but there was still a lingering odor until we debarked yesterday.

I had to cancel two excursions, and my money was refunded. My wife went to medical (no charge) and here feet were tender but ok.

Everyone was very kind and understanding, and checked in with us for the rest of the cruise.

We received and onboard credit that goes back on our credit card and a sizeable future cruise credit that can be applied to a cruise already book.

There was also a flood around Dec 13 in the forward port passageway.

By the way, don't leave anything on th floor when you are not in your room.

Edited by silverquad
incomplete
  • Thanks 5

I am glad that Royal Caribbean compensated you and your wife (and hopefully the other affected passengers) for the inconveniences you experienced. 

How long did it take for maintenance to repair the problem - because the water would have had to be shut off?  I hope it was only a few hours.

Maintenance fixed it very quickly. The water was shut off only a couple of hours. It took longer for them to remove the ceiling panels. They soaked the water up with towels then wet vac. We ran a blower in the room when we were not there. We left towels down for the rest of the cruise. The smell never went away even after shampooing. We had this happen once before on another ship and learned not to leave anything on the floor.

I have to emphasize that housekeeping did an outstanding job of making sure that we were comfortable. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, silverquad said:

Maintenance fixed it very quickly. The water was shut off only a couple of hours. It took longer for them to remove the ceiling panels. They soaked the water up with towels then wet vac. We ran a blower in the room when we were not there. We left towels down for the rest of the cruise. The smell never went away even after shampooing. We had this happen once before on another ship and learned not to leave anything on the floor.

I have to emphasize that housekeeping did an outstanding job of making sure that we were comfortable. 

I've had water in the cabin (though due to an AC drain failure, so not nearly as drastic as this) and had a similar positive experience with maintenance/housekeeping.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silverquad said:

I’m very happy to hear housekeeping did an outstanding job. The crew on that ship is phenomenal. I’m also glad to hear you were compensated and your wife did not get seriously injured. I really hope they do the vision justice and send her to dry dock for complete repairs. This seems to be a reoccurring problem that can only have so many bandages applied to it. 

On our Vision cruise in October into early November, there was a water emergency that thankfully didn't result in flooding (as far as we knew), but caused a water shutoff from deck 7 upward, so there was no water available in the food venues or bars temporarily. It affected some restrooms and the spa/fitness center and lasted a few hours. So obviously this issue has been going on for some time.

• Thanks 1