Flooding Friday and Saturday Fort Lauderdale

igar39

We are becoming increasingly concerned about driving from Central Florida via the turnpike Friday.  There are flood warnings for the hotel where will be staying.   Anyone else concerned about the flooding. situation?  Called hotel and they say their parking lot does flood. 

1 minute ago, igar39 said:

We are becoming increasingly concerned about driving from Central Florida via the turnpike Friday.  There are flood warnings for the hotel where will be staying.   Anyone else concerned about the flooding. situation?  Called hotel and they say their parking lot does flood. 

The turnpike should be fine since it is west of the areas that usually flood.  I wouldn’t park in the lot though as torrential rains are predicted for Saturday and the area around the airport floods. I think the cruise port lot has high levels for parking so I would do that. My only worry would be if it is full.  

Another suggestion is to stay west of the port and take an Uber to the port. You can even stay in palm beach there is a nice Hampton inn on military road and gateway Blvd and across the street from loads of restaurants. Then Uber to the port, it is about 45 minutes away.  I think there are also some holiday inns as well but we haven’t had guests stay there.  

I hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

Oh no.  We could not land earlier this year, in April when the airport closed.  Luckly, they landed the flight in Palm Beach. We took the Brite Line train to Fort Lauderdale.  Our hotel was turning people away due to wet carpets the next morning as we were waiting for the cruise shuttle.   The restaurant canceled our reservation, and we ended up at Mc Donalds next door.

The airports in south Florida have seen a lot of weather, and can handle it.  But, travel may be delayed a few hours, etc.

Fort Lauderdale has had issues with flooding over the past few years. Antiquated storm sewer system, too much development. If the hotel tells you its lot floods, I'd take that warning very seriously.

I-95 and I-595 are mostly elevated and on higher ground in the Fort Lauderdale area. I don't drive the Turnpike in that area.

• Like 1

We returned to miami from a cruise a few days after the flooding in April in Ft Lauderdale. We drive to ports so always park on higher floors. Also make sure you fill your gas tank before entering the port, we made this mistake in April and driving home we couldnt find gas becasue of the flooding. eventually did but was a hassle 

On 12/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, Banditswife said:

We fly into FLL on Monday, should we be worried?  Our cruise is on Tues 12/19, staying at a hotel near airport.

No, I would not be concerned, weather looks great for Monday. 

Right now it is showing around 2.5 to 3.0 inches of rain over Friday and Saturday. That won't cause major flooding. Also the turnpike will be fine, it is the city streets that have issues, not large highways. 

Flooding happens when there are torrential downpours that put down 5-10 inches in a few hours. That is not what it looks like will happen with this one. 

Flood warnings are  a very common thing in the summer time. December not so much, but I am not overly concerned with the forecast I am seeing. 

Edited by Flymia
  • Thanks 1

Port of Palm Beach is closed today and the Margaritaville at Sea Paradise sailing for this afternoon is cancelled. I would be most concerned with port closures tomorrow (Saturday) than localized flooding. Weather should clear-out by Sunday. You should stay in close touch with your cruise line if you're sailing on Saturday.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:12 PM, Langoustine said:

Fill your tank. I got trapped in North Miami in 2005 for several days because there was no power to the gas stations that had not been destroyed.

I believe Florida now requires gas stations which pump over a minimum amount of fuel to have backup power to run pumps in a power outage.  Same thing with cell phone towers. I believe it''s 96 hours of service.