Assult on a cruise ship

CocktailPrincess

Another item:  Are you assuming that, because he rolled in front of you, that it was a joint?  I still know people who roll their own ciggies.  Did it definitely have that "aroma"?   Just wanting to check, because if the guy told Security it was tobacco, they probably ignored that part and figured that you baited him into tossing the glass with your comments.  

Not accusing, just adding another possible piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Another item:  Are you assuming that, because he rolled in front of you, that it was a joint?  I still know people who roll their own ciggies.  Did it definitely have that "aroma"?   Just wanting to check, because if the guy told Security it was tobacco, they probably ignored that part and figured that you baited him into tossing the glass with your comments.  

But the OP stated it was in a non-smoking area that she sought out because of her medical condition. Tobacco use would still be prohibited in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If baiting someone is justification, then punching the guy in the nose would have been OK.   I like that concept.  Sadly, I don't think it will hold up.      

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes I know the difference. 

On 12/17/2023 at 3:36 AM, CDNPolar said:

I understand and appreciate your situation and your desire for retribution, but next time, please, just walk away and protect yourself.  

I agree, at the point you engage with some one whom is bothering you by their actions, you are escalating the situation further and also making it personal. Just quietly go get an employee who can help, or find a phone to call for help.

The thing to remember ( and why I cringe when I see parents let their kids run around ) is the law of averages, due to the amount of people onboard, is there ARE bad people on your ship, there are pedophiles, there are rapists ( either have done their time or not caught yet), there are people who steal and scam as a way of life, they are there.

I might worry too much but when our daughters and also our granddaughter were taken on cruises with us, my husband followed them from a distance when they were going anywhere alone. And they were reminded of "stranger danger" and to stay together, when going about their day together, if we weren't there with them.

I don't have the figures any longer but maybe someone in law enforcement might know with an average of 3 to 6 thousand people, how many you would absolutely not want to have access to you and yours.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:40 PM, CocktailPrincess said:

Yes that sounds good, but I saw him several times again and he was laughing at me. They certainly didn't say he had to stay away from me.

Well, I guess this incident reinforces why Costa is often seen among "worst of" reviews.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 4:36 AM, CDNPolar said:

I understand and appreciate your situation and your desire for retribution, but next time, please, just walk away and protect yourself.  

In my area we have had a rash of lethal road rage incidents. Ohio recently changed most of the gun laws so that almost anyone can carry a gun without a permit and it can be carried in a car accessible to the driver. I walk away as much as possible from a situation where someone is antagonizing because you just never know if the person is unbalanced enough to become violent with very little provocation. It's not worth "being right" or standing up to someone. 

• Like 3

IMO, if you find yourself in a position where you are telling a stranger that they are rude and pathetic, even if they are, you are asking for trouble.  A better course of action would have been to just get up and leave when the jerk lit his joint.  From that point forward you should know there will be no good outcome by engaging.  It doesn't excuse what the jerk did, but it is still asking for trouble.  As, sadly, OP found out.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

IMO, if you find yourself in a position where you are telling a stranger that they are rude and pathetic, even if they are, you are asking for trouble.  A better course of action would have been to just get up and leave when the jerk lit his joint.  From that point forward you should know there will be no good outcome by engaging.  It doesn't excuse what the jerk did, but it is still asking for trouble.  As, sadly, OP found out.

Thanks, but this isn't what I asked for opinions on!

7 minutes ago, CocktailPrincess said:

Here's what you ask:

"

My question is can I report this to the UK police or is there no point ?

That's been asked and answered. Multiple times. After 85 posts I think this OP post has been worked to the max. This is a social media board. There's a limit to anything original showing up at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

Well over half of the posts in this thread aren't what you asked for opinions on but you call me out?  Maybe it isn't because you didn't ask for that opinion but because that opinion was that you acted in a dangerous way.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

The answer won't help you, but perhaps it might help someone else. That's one good thing about posts like yours- we can figure out how to react in a similar situation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

A thread with this many posts will more often than not drift off the original topic. The post you complained about is much less off topic than what often happens.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The answer won't help you, but perhaps it might help someone else. That's one good thing about posts like yours- we can figure out how to react in a similar situation. 

The apparent lack of consequences is what troubles me most about this situation.   I can understand the OP's position.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

The apparent lack of consequences is what troubles me most about this situation.   I can understand the OP's position.  

I can also fully understand her position. I can also understand the position of a business owner who has suffered smash and grab robberies with no consequences to the perpetrators. Or the car owner who suffered a hit and run and has been without their vehicle for months with no consequences to the perpetrator (our personal situation, FWIW). Unfortunately this is our society today, no consequences for personal behavior no matter how egregious it is.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Well over half of the posts in this thread aren't what you asked for opinions on but you call me out?  Maybe it isn't because you didn't ask for that opinion but because that opinion was that you acted in a dangerous way.  

Sorry if you felt called out, as I know other people have said similar.

In all honesty I've had enough, I feel like my conduct is being called into question, and I'm having a hard enough time as it is (I keep going over the situation it's keeping me up at night) without this thread making me feel worse.

Can I shut this thread down? I got the answer I needed to my op and now it's just making me go over and over it all again, Im ready to just move on, as it's clear I can't do anything about it.

• Like 2