MSC Meraviglia DEC 16, 2023 Port Changes

buffet24

44 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

since the 1960's there were plenty of winter sailings out of NYC - Home Lines, the Italian Line, the Greek Line, Cunard all offered all type of carib & Bahama sailings of various lengths.

We usually sailed Home Line & the Italian Line on 9+ day sailings - the first & last sea days were chilly but after that it was warmer than in Florida.

The passengers on this sailing went at rock bottom prices(between Thanksgiving & pre Christmas) and the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary as needed.

One of the best reasons to sail out of NY is that  - for us there is no need to fly!!!

PS - 

I sailed Mera a couple of years ago & recently sailed HAL Rotterdam - I'd pick MSC over HAL any day!!!!

I've sailed out of NYC in the winter multiple times (15 minute cab ride to dock).  By day 3 the weather is warm....and the kids are back in school.

I don't expect ideal beach weather....but I don't expect snow and frigid wind chills.

• Like 1

I'm surprised this is receiving so much attention.  A total change of direction is not all that uncommon. Our September C/NE cruise was diverted to the Bahamas the night before departure, with similar options to cancel, and the opportunity, for most, to unpack their parkas and add shorts.  Everyone who stayed on the cruise said it was one of the best they've ever taken.

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm surprised this is receiving so much attention.  A total change of direction is not all that uncommon. Our September C/NE cruise was diverted to the Bahamas the night before departure, with similar options to cancel, and the opportunity, for most, to unpack their parkas and add shorts.  Everyone who stayed on the cruise said it was one of the best they've ever taken.

True, but one that is expected to go to warm locations ends up in freezing climes at the last minute without folks getting the opportunity to repack in many cases is pretty rare, thankfully

• Like 2

They headed to Boston for three days which was cold and rainy. IMO, this cruise should have been cancelled if the captain couldn't find a warm weather itinerary to switch to. Majority of the passengers didn't get of the ship at Boston.

23 minutes ago, toad455 said:

They headed to Boston for three days which was cold and rainy. IMO, this cruise should have been cancelled if the captain couldn't find a warm weather itinerary to switch to. Majority of the passengers didn't get of the ship at Boston.

Passengers were given the option to cancel.  No reason to cancel the cruise for those who wish to stay aboard wherever it goes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Passengers were given the option to cancel.  No reason to cancel the cruise for those who wish to stay aboard wherever it goes.

Ohhhh.... I dunno.... I think there might be 12 very good reasons to cancel in all of this... also, knowing that the ship just loaded up 1000 suit cases full of bikinis and sun tan lotions...🤔🤔🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

image.png.42b882c1022c48cb47f5c1fa823fb5e9.png

• Like 1

Sorry for these folks on this sailing expecting to sail to the Bahamas and ending up heading North.  Unfortunately, when you choose to sail out of a Northern port (e.g., Bayonne, Brooklyn, NYC) in the cold weather months, it should be understood that the weather AND the ocean temps are COLD and a major storm can pop up at any time.  

We took a So. Caribbean cruise out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on the fairly new NCL Breakaway in early Jan. 2014 right after the holidays & immediately following a big snowstorm, with the wind chill temps in NYC below zero.  Our Amtrak ride from Boston to NYC was delayed by hours and was a long trip into the city due to icy track conditions.  We stayed in a hotel 2 nights pre-cruise, and we sailed out on a Sun. with freezing rain at sail away.  We were very lucky that, although it was a miserable day, we were able to embark from Manhattan close to schedule and continue on our planned itinerary.  But it could have easily gone another way.  Being from MA, we definitely would have been unhappy going North.  At least we had winter coats, sweaters and boots with us from our trip to NYC.

This is when we decided this cruise was a "one and done"...no more sailing from the Northeast in the winter!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

This is more than a change of direction, people took this cruise to sail to tropical islands and beautiful beaches, instead they are going to ports with freezing temperatures with snow and ice, I hope they brought their ice skates. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Every cruise contract I've ever seen allows the line to make pretty much any change they deem necessary with pretty much no recourse for the passenger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Stay with the cruise or take FCC.  Already spent how much time and money preparing and getting to port.  No compensation for that.  The FCC may not cover the future cruise so it's not much of a choice.  Personally, I wouldn't mind the NE - Canada itinerary, but can't convince DW.

Darn Steelers are breaking my heart this year.

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Every cruise contract I've ever seen allows the line to make pretty much any change they deem necessary with pretty much no recourse for the passenger.

MSC UK contract considers this change 'significant':

"A significant change to the itinerary. i.e. when the itinerary has to be changed by more than 50% and may have to exclude an iconic highlight."

So passengers have the below options:

"a) Accepting the alteration; or
b) Making another Booking from the brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality, if available; or
c) Making another Booking from the brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or
d) Cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid."

source: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/terms-conditions

At least in this case MSC offered passengers the choice of a refund or taking the amended cruise.  

6 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

MSC UK contract considers this change 'significant':

"A significant change to the itinerary. i.e. when the itinerary has to be changed by more than 50% and may have to exclude an iconic highlight."

So passengers have the below options:

"a) Accepting the alteration; or
b) Making another Booking from the brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality, if available; or
c) Making another Booking from the brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or
d) Cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid."

source: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/terms-conditions

At least in this case MSC offered passengers the choice of a refund or taking the amended cruise.  

Were  they offered a refund or just FCC for this one?  Just FCC from the stories I've seen.

On 12/20/2023 at 7:13 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

since the 1960's there were plenty of winter sailings out of NYC - Home Lines, the Italian Line, the Greek Line, Cunard all offered all type of carib & Bahama sailings of various lengths.

We usually sailed Home Line & the Italian Line on 9+ day sailings - the first & last sea days were chilly but after that it was warmer than in Florida.

The passengers on this sailing went at rock bottom prices(between Thanksgiving & pre Christmas) and the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary as needed.

One of the best reasons to sail out of NY is that  - for us there is no need to fly!!!

PS - 

I sailed Mera a couple of years ago & recently sailed HAL Rotterdam - I'd pick MSC over HAL any day!!!!

My Father was a captain on Greek Line.  The Queen Anna Maria.  My parents met on that ship; she was a singer and he was Chief Officer or Safety Officer at the time.

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodo2894 said:

@buffet24 - which site did you get this chart from? 🗺️

It's Windy.com!  Go have a look!!! 👍😉👍

Also, if anyone is sailing on Meraviglia in the future, please let the Captain know about Windy.com as well!!!  😉😁😂

• Thanks 1

I'm actually glad this came up.  I was looking at 10 or 11 day cruises on the Mera out of NYC for Jan 2024.  I book YC...a highlight being the breakfast/lunch buffet by the pool.  Even in the best weather....at least 2 days each way would be too cold for that.  And if we rerouted to Canada....maybe ice skating in the pool.  No thank......

25 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

My Father was a captain on Greek Line.  The Queen Anna Maria.  My parents met on that ship; she was a singer and he was Chief Officer or Safety Officer at the time.

IMG_2636.jpeg

Was that the same ship Leonardo DiCaprio was on???🤔😉

Lovely Ship! 🤩

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, buffet24 said:

Was that the same ship Leonardo DiCaprio was on???🤔😉

Lovely Ship! 🤩

Anyone that sailed on a cruise during that period would gladly give up today's floating malls for that ship.

Remember the Oceanic, FRANCE, Michaelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci..... the best!!!

• Like 1