Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

1 hour ago, SoberDogLover said:

Hi - non drinker here, but I just downloaded the app for our first cruise aboard Edge and the menus all show surcharges for non-alcoholic - San Pelegrino and Coffees, for example. We are booked in a CS. I wrote an e-mail to The Retreat concierge this morning asking about that. I will let you know what I find out.

Where do you see this? Celebrity's menus don't show surcharges, only the full price. For those items, the only time you'd have to pay for them in Retreat Class if you didn't have a liquor package.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SoberDogLover said:

Hi - non drinker here, but I just downloaded the app for our first cruise aboard Edge and the menus all show surcharges for non-alcoholic - San Pelegrino and Coffees, for example. We are booked in a CS. I wrote an e-mail to The Retreat concierge this morning asking about that. I will let you know what I find out.

10 hours ago, SoberDogLover said:

the app shows prices because not everyone has book a cabin with package , 

You would have booked with the drink package in a suite ,  

there is what included in the packages 

12_15_23_OB_SP_Drinks-Flyer_V4.pdf?fbcli

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Thanks 1

It has been my understanding that in general all drinks are free in The Retreat Lounge. There are exceptions, like a shot of Johnnie Walker Blue. Blended drinks could be a problem. It has been in the past.

I have traveled with friends in suites that did not have a drink package. Drinks were free at The Retreat, but had to pay for drinks at dinner in Luminae.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

the app shows prices because not everyone has book a cabin with package , 

You would have booked with the drink package in a suite ,  

there is what included in the packages 

12_15_23_OB_SP_Drinks-Flyer_V4.pdf?fbcli

Thanks, that makes sense. I checked all of our paperwork again and it says Premium Drinks (and Premium WIFI) are included in our fare.

We sailing on the Edge back in 2019. When we got drinks at The Retreat Pool Bar. We had to show our Seapass card. We have never needed to show our Seapass card at The Retreat Lounge.

17 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We sailing on the Edge back in 2019. When we got drinks at The Retreat Pool Bar. We had to show our Seapass card. We have never needed to show our Seapass card at The Retreat Lounge.

2019 is like 30 years ago in Celebrity years 🤣

if a person moves up to Suits though the move up bid action they would not have a drink package include unless they had with there original reservation 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

if a person moves up to Suits though the move up bid action they would not have a drink package include unless they had with there original reservation 

True, and the drinks in Michael's Club/Retreat lounge are included with no distinction regarding the presence of or the type of drink package.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

2 years ago at the Retreat Sun Deck on Millie. We did not have to show our Seapass to get drinks. Yes even 2 years is a long time with X. 🤪

What I was trying to get across was that drinks for the most part are free in the Retreat Lounge. At least last Nov they were. May not be free at The Retreat Sun Deck or The Retreat Pool Bar if you dont have a drink package. I dont have 1st hand knowledge as I seem to always have the PDP.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We booked in The Retreat right from the start. Re-fared up to the CS (from Sky Suite - still The Retreat) when there was a sale. Only paid an additional $600 to switch to CS and I'm glad we did. According to everything I can find, the PDP is included with The Retreat, so we should be fine.

With the Premium Package there is no charge for drinks - as long as they are not priced over the maximum of that package - $17.

Anything over $17 will be charged at the difference plus 20% gratuity - so if a drink is $19, it will cost $2.40, regardless of where one is drinking.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

- so if a drink is $19, it will cost $2.40, regardless of where one is drinking.

Unless you are in the retreat lounge where there will be no charge! Regardless of whether you have a drink package or not. 

Edited by groryjm

2 hours ago, groryjm said:

Unless you are in the retreat lounge where there will be no charge! Regardless of whether you have a drink package or not. 

It is true that all drinks are included for guests of Retreat Lounge without the need for your sea pass card. But, in Retreat Lounge, all the drinks that are offered now are within the premium package. That did not used to be the case in the ancient times (before COVID at least). Or if you asked for a bottle that was not sold by the glass, they would probably store one for you to have and not surcharge you. Now, the Retreat Lounge menu mirrors the PDP choices by the glass and the included liquors, etc.

If you wanted a more expensive drink, they will get it for you but you will have to pay the surcharge over the $17 PDP limit. I was on a ship last month and saw another guest signing a drink receipt given to them by the bartender in the lounge. The only explanation is that they were paying for one or more upcharge drinks.

• Like 1

I can understand the $10-15 up charge selections. Those are well known name liquors and wines.  

The $2 up charge selections are very annoying - especially in Retreat or Luminae.  Getting dinged for that small amount is ridiculous.  They should include the extra $2 wine  for suite pax

btw - the PDP wine selection is pretty weak

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tfred said:

The $2 up charge selections are very annoying - especially in Retreat or Luminae.  Getting dinged for that small amount is ridiculous.  They should include the extra $2 wine  for suite pax

This is one of the major reasons that we are looking at other cruise lines.  Looking over the pictures of wines I had on our cruise last year almost every one of them is now not included in the Premium package.  

• Like 1

I believe they are surcharging everywhere even regular bars.  

The premium package as I understands only covers up to $17 drinks but looking at the menus on the apps a majority of what I am interested in is north of that price.

it is $17 + shipwide.  For all the marketing panache of the Retreat experience, the wine component really falls short   $2 up charges, lesser quality wines and  a lot of "yeah, I can drink that " going on.

Maybe a special selection of lounge and Luminae only wines is a better solution   In 2022 we were drinking super Tuscans in Luminae and loving it - and they had equally good other choices   Not asking for upscale white burgundies but most of the selections now are everyday Publix pickings 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, groryjm said:

I don't know when you last cruised, but you are not correct.

As @TrueCruiseaholic said in the post following yours :

"f you wanted a more expensive drink, they will get it for you but you will have to pay the surcharge over the $17 PDP limit. I was on a ship last month and saw another guest signing a drink receipt given to them by the bartender in the lounge. The only explanation is that they were paying for one or more upcharge drinks."

2 hours ago, SoberDogLover said:

I haven't had a drink in over 29 years....so are you kidding me with $17 for a cocktail? lololol

Seriously? That's the going rate, and typically more, for cocktails in most hotels, resorts, and metropolitan areas. Including Seattle and Bellevue. $20-25 isn't unusual in Manhattan. It's all a matter of your frame of reference, but living near DC, Philadelphia, and NYC and traveling to other metropolitan area, $17 isn't going to cause me to blink. I'm not having three of them, but it's not out of the ordinary. I think a Bud Light is $17 at Nationals Park (MLB)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, markeb said:

Seriously? That's the going rate, and typically more, for cocktails in most hotels, resorts, and metropolitan areas. Including Seattle and Bellevue. $20-25 isn't unusual in Manhattan. It's all a matter of your frame of reference, but living near DC, Philadelphia, and NYC and traveling to other metropolitan area, $17 isn't going to cause me to blink. I'm not having three of them, but it's not out of the ordinary. I think a Bud Light is $17 at Nationals Park (MLB)!

If you’re crazy enough to drink Bud Light you should pay $17 🤣

but I guess you have to a high to watch a boring ball game 😉😁

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SoberDogLover said:

I haven't had a drink in over 29 years....so are you kidding me with $17 for a cocktail? lololol

Easy, on land I see it all the time..if someone hadn’t been out to a nice steakhouse in 29 years they would have sticker shock too. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you’re crazy enough to drink Bud Light you should pay $17 🤣

but I guess you have to a high to watch a boring ball game 😉😁

Didn't say I'd buy one. Certainly not at that price...

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Easy, on land I see it all the time..if someone hadn’t been out to a nice steakhouse in 29 years they would have sticker shock too. 

lol, I'm also vegetarian....so you got that right too 🙂 

• Haha 1