Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

On 4/30/2024 at 6:22 PM, SoberDogLover said:

I haven't had a drink in over 29 years....so are you kidding me with $17 for a cocktail? lololol

Those $17 prices are killing me.  I am used to paying $5 for a well martini at my local Elks Lodge.  I tend to go into sticker price shock when I order a drink outside the lodge.  LOL

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2024 at 5:22 PM, DubiousDoc said:

I've seen better wine selections at an Applebee's.  That is downright disgraceful.

I agree and I'm afraid they are leaning towards the Royal Caribbean type wines.  Just got off a Royal ship and their wine list is disgusting.  The best they could do was Kendall Jackson which was considered a premium wine at $12 a glass!  I can buy an entire bottle of KJ for less than $10.  They did have La Crema for $19 a glass - a $4 upcharge every time and again I can buy a bottle of La Crema for $14.99 at Costco.  That's one of the reasons I quit sailing Royal is their wine list is SO BAD and since that's all I drink it doesn't make for a happy camper. Tried it again bc of a great deal but definitely won't be back and as for X if they follow suit they're going to lose me too.  Life is to short to drink bad wine!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, camella said:

I agree and I'm afraid they are leaning towards the Royal Caribbean type wines.  Just got off a Royal ship and their wine list is disgusting.  The best they could do was Kendall Jackson which was considered a premium wine at $12 a glass!  I can buy an entire bottle of KJ for less than $10.  They did have La Crema for $19 a glass - a $4 upcharge every time and again I can buy a bottle of La Crema for $14.99 at Costco.  That's one of the reasons I quit sailing Royal is their wine list is SO BAD and since that's all I drink it doesn't make for a happy camper. Tried it again bc of a great deal but definitely won't be back and as for X if they follow suit they're going to lose me too.  Life is to short to drink bad wine!

Decoy is drinkable there was also a Chianti Classico included, we always bring two good bottles with us . Wasn’t even charged when I order a wine above the package in Luminae.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Decoy is drinkable there was also a Chianti Classico included, we always bring two good bottles with us . Wasn’t even charged when I order a wine above the package in Luminae.

Asked the other night for someone and these are the Red's she had on hand.   Other's available upon request.

Well, if Celebrity desires to furnish a true lux experience with its Retreat and Premium beverage package, it is missing the mark. I just returned from a Regent cruise (with a fare a bit less than a SS). There was no extra charge for anything we would actually drink. There were some wines and spirits an extra cost, and I have never heard of them. And they were at major extra cost. I jotted down a few names, and asked a local liquor store manager what they are and how expensive they are. His store is in an upscale area, and he had to look these up! He told me that the $200 or so per bottle average that Regent was charging for these was CHEAP!  They are (IMHO) not drinks — they are collector’s items.  My wife loves prosecco, and was introduced to a brand on that cruise. She loved it. I asked my local liquor store manager to get us some. He did. His price is $22/bottle. It was not only included, but recommended on Regent — where grocery store wines are not extra cost, they aren’t even offered.  

We once went to a wine tasting sponsored by a travel agent and celebrity they said how great there wine selection was 😁😁😁, rccl seems to have a way better selection of reasonable wines by the bottle and being diamond plus we get 40 percent off wines under a hundred and we never had a problem selecting a nice bottle in the 90 dollar price range and that’s before the discount. 

Posted (edited)

We usually end up purchasing wine bottles in Luminae and specialities as I think life is too short to drink bad wine. Although it does stick in the craw a tad! 

Edit: forgot to add we are trying Regent I October for the first time so will be interesting to see what their included drinks are. 

Edited by wineoclock
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I had a nice laugh when I saw this as we were walking past Cellar Masters on Millennium this morning after breakfast. 

IMG_1198.thumb.jpeg.f30dd79fdceb31900aadf32222c417c7.jpeg

Celebrity’s wine list has always been spectacular!  They just don’t actually have any of the wines on said list!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I had a nice laugh when I saw this as we were walking past Cellar Masters on Millennium this morning after breakfast. 

IMG_1198.thumb.jpeg.f30dd79fdceb31900aadf32222c417c7.jpeg

The criteria are based on their overall program. By the bottle. The by the glass offerings don't appear to influence Wine Spectator.

• Like 2

The elevated list presentation  - which shows the actual net up charge - is a better way to present it. You dont have to do the math $22-17=$5.  It is easier to say yes to the net number rather than seeing the prices and wondering "how much is the bottle at the wine store?" 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Silhouette retreat menus May 2025 note surcharges in Bottom left corner — elevated wines by the glass

@cruisestitch Firstly I assume you mean 2024 not 2025 and is this from the retreate sundaeck , where dinks hane never been free and only so if one has a premium package , or is it from the lounge / michaels club.

It actually looks like the origional cocktails list from the retreate sundeck, which just pre covid listed those cocktails and a couple more which were covered if the guest had a premium package and were a charge if the guest did not have. So if if this is from the sundeck then no change. As drinks on the sundeck have never been free and only covered if the guest has a package.

Edited by groryjm

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Silhouette retreat menus May 2025 note surcharges in Bottom left corner — elevated wines by the glass

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

2025?? wish that were the case😂

We just got off the Edge.  We chose not to order any wine in the Retreat Lounge as they seemed to be sticking to those on the Lounge menu.  We drank Haslinger’s or cocktails.

In Luminae we just let the Sommelier pick ones that paired with what we were ordering.  The majority were good, only rejected 2 or 3 of those offered in 17 nights.

The only time we had a upcharge was the night we ordered Red Condundrum and we were charged $9 total.  Interestingly we ordered Red Condundrum 2x in specialty restaurants and did not get charged the extra $.

I don’t bother with the wine list any longer and don’t worry about what the retail price of a bottle is either.

If I like it I drink, if it extra then I’ll pay.

As it relates to upcharges, we were an upscale restaurant last night.  Lobster 5oz, with mashed potatoes & veggie $49.  Extra lobster $44.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, groryjm said:

@cruisestitch Firstly I assume you mean 2024 not 2025 and is this from the retreate sundaeck , where dinks hane never been free and only so if one has a premium package , or is it from the lounge / michaels club.

It actually looks like the origional cocktails list from the retreate sundeck, which just pre covid listed those cocktails and a couple more which were covered if the guest had a premium package and were a charge if the guest did not have. So if if this is from the sundeck then no change. As drinks on the sundeck have never been free and only covered if the guest has a package.

Big whoops on the date but this was NOT from the sundeck.  It was the Retreat Lounge.

I will see if I can get the moderator to fix the date 

Oh, I think we all know that “2025” was a typo. But I’m confused about the “elevated” wine prices. They range from $5 to $23 on the menu you posted. Isn’t that the price over and above the $17 covered under PDP? If so, no math is needed. 

I really like the Las Alturas and I’ll pay $9.60 when I want a glass. I hope it’s available on our Equinox cruise in less than a month 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Big whoops on the date but this was NOT from the sundeck.  It was the Retreat Lounge.

That same menu is in the Retreat Lounge on Millennium right now.  My understanding that it is new and is going to be fleet wide in a few more weeks/month. 

Don’t tell anyone but I have been drinking Ron Zacapa 23 in the lounge and have not been charged a surcharge yet.  Fingers crossed that continues. 

Edited by DaKahuna

6 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If so, no math is needed. 

As was mentioned earlier, you still have to do math for the 20% surcharge.