A Cunard Christmas!

RJChatsworth

We have completed over 50 voyages on Cunard but never at Christmas or New Year.  Apart from decorations etc what is different?  We don’t particularly want extra quizzes and parties but what is the attraction please other than to get away from the cooking and washing up?  Are the meals the same with the addition of turkey on Christmas Day?

Experiences that would entice us for once away from family get-togethers would be appreciated?  The Canaries would be our favoured choice.

14 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

We have completed over 50 voyages on Cunard but never at Christmas or New Year.  Apart from decorations etc what is different?  We don’t particularly want extra quizzes and parties but what is the attraction please other than to get away from the cooking and washing up?  Are the meals the same with the addition of turkey on Christmas Day?

Experiences that would entice us for once away from family get-togethers would be appreciated?  The Canaries would be our favoured choice.

Christmas Jumpers, stateroom doors decorated and dozens of children - Turkey on the menu that is no different from throughout the year,  and  not forgetting, high prices.  If you want a Christmas experience with close family, grand kids etc then it's ideal.     

For me I give it a miss  .   

• Like 1

You will have seen on my recent report from QM2 that there are decorations in the public areas, and a Christmas tree in the Grand Lobby.  There was a carol service by the crew on one afternoon, and the passenger choir also did some Christmas songs a few days later. I got off the ship on 22 December, so I could be home in England on 23 December, at that point there wasn't much of a Christmas theme to the menu (and I sneaked my own supply of mince pies on board) but this was before Twelfth Night. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8379ef8a0ad5218e64719c9473306cd3.jpeg

Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

On QV now, in the Canaries. Actually there are only a few Christmas jumpers or decorated stateroom doors. And only a handful of children, all well-behaved. Turkey was just one of a number of main courses on the day. I had halibut with lobster and king prawn. Also on the day there was a carol service with lessons read by a range of crew, and a visit from Santa in the Queen’s Room. We have found it very enjoyable so far, and now have lovely weather. The only downside for me is the somewhat tacky Christmas Muzak piped around the ship (reminds me of Tesco). But the live music is diverse and, as usual, excellent. And New Year still to come. Can’t argue about the high prices, but that’s the norm virtually everywhere at Christmas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Christmas Jumpers, stateroom doors decorated and dozens of children - Turkey on the menu that is no different from throughout the year,  and  not forgetting, high prices.  If you want a Christmas experience with close family, grand kids etc then it's ideal.     

For me I give it a miss  .   

And of course those 'Special' occasions for special guests @Bell Boy 😉😂...

NewYearsEveDinnerTable.jpg.4c00db4d25b7aeca79431fe443e396ab.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, but as yet, not a single one to encourage us to go on a Christmas cruise. More to discourage us.  Perhaps I was expecting too much and it is much like any other cruise.  I thought someone might mention the Madeira fireworks.  Perhaps I have believed the hype and they are not so special either!

16 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Thanks for the replies, but as yet, not a single one to encourage us to go on a Christmas cruise. More to discourage us.  Perhaps I was expecting too much and it is much like any other cruise.  I thought someone might mention the Madeira fireworks.  Perhaps I have believed the hype and they are not so special either!

I have only once been on a Christmas cruise and enjoyed it very much. BUT, I found I prefer to cruise when there are long light evenings to lounge on the balcony with a drink before dinner, which you don’t get in the winter even in the Canaries. But I loved the decorations and the carol service and Santa coming down the funnel and superb roast goose on Christmas Eve. I think the fireworks in Madeira are for New Year and we were back home by then. Anyway, I loathe fireworks.

The one attraction for us would be that we would be able to dance.

There's nowhere around here to give us that.

But we could get that in a short hotel break in the UK if we were prepared to risk winter travel. That risk would probably rule out cruising as well. And we wouldn't leave the cats, they deserve at least as much company at Christmas as other times.

We're onboard as I write this,just coming into Lanzarote,it's an overnight. It has been wonderful so far,bit sad not to be coming back on next year,we've done the Xmas/new year cruise for years now but it's QA next for the next two years but it will be exciting to see her 

• Like 2

We (husband and I) have just booked a thirteen-night cruise on Queen Elizabeth from Sydney (home) around both islands of N.Z. and back to Sydney over Christmas 2024 and NY 2025. Reasons being:

1. I want to AVOID Christmas/NY family pressures for once (second marriage, lots of emotional baggage cluttering up everyone's tranquility, I don't really enjoy Christmas as much any more)

2. QE/Cunard will be withdrawing from regular Pacific seasons after 2025 😢

3. Christmas is SUMMER where I live 🌞, so we will be able to enjoy long light evenings as per usual at that time of year.

4. It's a home port to home port voyage so no planes, airports, transfers etc

Any Christmas/NY festivities, food and decorations on the ship will be a bonus on what I hope will be a lovely holiday regardless.

Edited by maggielou362
add
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

We (husband and I) have just booked a thirteen-night cruise on Queen Elizabeth from Sydney (home) around both islands of N.Z. and back to Sydney over Christmas 2024 and NY 2025. Reasons being:

1. I want to AVOID Christmas/NY family pressures for once (second marriage, lots of emotional baggage cluttering up everyone's tranquility, I don't really enjoy Christmas as much any more)

2. QE/Cunard will be withdrawing from regular Pacific seasons after 2025 😢

3. Christmas is SUMMER where I live 🌞, so we will be able to enjoy long light evenings as per usual at that time of year.

4. It's a home port to home port voyage so no planes, airports, transfers etc

Any Christmas/NY festivities, food and decorations on the ship will be a bonus on what I hope will be a lovely holiday regardless.

After watching (and helping) my sister set up Christmas Eve/Day meals for 9 and 18 people and the same situation with DW preparing for 16 tomorrow night, you make a very valid point to take a year off from holiday prep work and family dynamics (mainly good in that area) and get away!!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jaypo63 said:

We're onboard as I write this,just coming into Lanzarote,it's an overnight. It has been wonderful so far,bit sad not to be coming back on next year,we've done the Xmas/new year cruise for years now but it's QA next for the next two years but it will be exciting to see her 

Nice to hear from you, I hope you enjoyed Lanzarote.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone onboard QV said this years fireworks were the best yet and I have to agree. Madeira has one of the finest displays in the world ,never fails to give me goosebumps. 
home now,feels like I've never been away lol 

• Like 2

I've yet to see anything either live or televised to match any of the Pyro-Melodic displays we've seen in Cannes in July and August each year.

https://www.festival-pyrotechnique-cannes.com/en/

It's staged as a competition and six international firework companies, usually including a French one, provide a display of twenty to thirty minutes duration all carefully choreographed to music.

Most beach restaurants double their prices and offer a fixed menu those nights. We usually dine in decent restaurants away from the Croisette and walk to the front in time for the display.

I've watched the Madeira New Year fireworks remotely via webcam the past couple years. Rogue fireworks are visible being set off throughout the city leading up to midnight as well as after, but the main display itself that's visible on the webcam has lasted eight minutes from midnight to 12:08am both last year and this year.

There are of course lots of videos of the Cannes displays on YouTube.

Here's a link to last year's winners; SUGYP of Switzerland.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:41 PM, bluemarble said:

I've watched the Madeira New Year fireworks remotely via webcam the past couple years. Rogue fireworks are visible being set off throughout the city leading up to midnight as well as after, but the main display itself that's visible on the webcam has lasted eight minutes from midnight to 12:08am both last year and this year.

They were quite spectacular this year,the ending was so loud we could feel the ship vibrating 🫨