Embarkation Boarding Time Question

SeaWatch12

Isn't the boarding time for Concierge Verandas 12:00PM?

That is what is indicated on the Oceania site.

The cruise booklet indicates 1:00 and my boarding pass shows 1:30, that was the earliest time available when I did the online check-in.

Would there be any issues if we show up at the Vista in Miami at 12:00?

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaWatch12 said:

The cruise booklet indicates 1:00 and my boarding pass shows 1:30, that was the earliest time available when I did the online check-in.

Mark

Let's break this down.

You appear to live in Pompano Beach, about 50 miles from the port of Miami. 

If you're driving, have a nice lunch somewhere, get to the terminal parking around 2:00, park your car, check in, breeze through embarkation and your room will be ready.  Then you can dump your carryon's, have a bite to eat or a drink and enjoy Sailaway.  

Or

Get there at 12:00, wait in line until the named suites are boarded, wait behind the many folks in concierge suites who also want to board as early as possible and got there at 11:00.  Schlep your carryon around the ship, maybe get a seat in Terrace Cafe or Waves (or maybe not, because it will be crowded) and wait another hour for your cabin to be available.

I choose the former, not the latter.

You decide which sounds like a better way to start your cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Mark

At the bottom line, potential “issues” and/or “what happens when” mostly depends on your embark port and how its own personnel handle check-ins.

That said, there’s also multiple distinct “times” associated with embark day including:

“arrival time” at the port on changeover day. That scheduled time for when the ship will tie up or set an anchor is listed in brochures, on the O web et al. It should not be confused with “disembarkation time” which is when it is your preselected/predetermined time to depart the ship (that has been identified several days prior to the end of the cruise).

“check-in time” at the embark port terminal. That time is the one you select (from what slots are available) when you do your online checkin within three weeks of embark day.

”embarkation time” is a somewhat theoretical target for when you have completed the terminal checkin process and are expected to board the ship. This term is often misused by all sorts of folks.

“departure time” is the scheduled time for the ship to leave its berth or anchorage. Like the arrival time, it appears in brochures, on the O web.

The Blue Book (which is no longer blue) “embark” time was/is mostly an estimate of when your check-in at the port should happen.

The relatively new Boarding Pass process attempts to pinpoint at what time you should be available in the terminal to begin the process that leads to embarkation. IMO, this is the time to aim for.

Again, a lot depends on the embark port personnel. For example, in a port like SYD, staff at the terminal may not let you enter the terminal until the time stated on your boarding pass. In other ports, you can enter whenever you show up. But those times have little to do with when you’ll actually be allowed to get in your cabin category line for check-in and how attentive staff are to following the plan. 

As a rule, we try to pick the earliest available check-in time if for no other reason than to get a good seat while we figure out how “today’s” process will actually work. It’s also great for people watching and for renewing old acquaintances with passengers and crew alike.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Let's break this down.

If you're driving, have a nice lunch somewhere, get to the terminal parking around 2:00, park your car, check in, breeze through embarkation and your room will be ready.  Then you can dump your carryon's, have a bite to eat or a drink and enjoy Sailaway.  

Or

Get there at 12:00, wait in line until the named suites are boarded, wait behind the many folks in concierge suites who also want to board as early as possible and got there at 11:00.  Schlep your carryon around the ship, maybe get a seat in Terrace Cafe or Waves (or maybe not, because it will be crowded) and wait another hour for your cabin to be available.

Thanks for the "or" scenarios for the relaxed vs more hectic situations.  
We either get a ride from a friend or use a car service especially when it's Port of Miami and not Port Everglades and like to have a light lunch on the ship so will probably attempt to arrive in time to do so. 

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

At the bottom line, potential “issues” and/or “what happens when” mostly depends on your embark port and how its own personnel handle check-ins.

That said, there’s also multiple distinct “times” associated with embark day including:

“arrival time” at the port on changeover day. That scheduled time for when the ship will tie up or set an anchor is listed in brochures, on the O web et al. It should not be confused with “disembarkation time” which is when it is your preselected/predetermined time to depart the ship (that has been identified several days prior to the end of the cruise).

“check-in time” at the embark port terminal. That time is the one you select (from what slots are available) when you do your online checkin within three weeks of embark day.

”embarkation time” is a somewhat theoretical target for when you have completed the terminal checkin process and are expected to board the ship. This term is often misused by all sorts of folks.

“departure time” is the scheduled time for the ship to leave its berth or anchorage. Like the arrival time, it appears in brochures, on the O web.

The Blue Book (which is no longer blue) “embark” time was/is mostly an estimate of when your check-in at the port should happen.

The relatively new Boarding Pass process attempts to pinpoint at what time you should be available in the terminal to begin the process that leads to embarkation. IMO, this is the time to aim for.

Again, a lot depends on the embark port personnel. For example, in a port like SYD, staff at the terminal may not let you enter the terminal until the time stated on your boarding pass. In other ports, you can enter whenever you show up. But those times have little to do with when you’ll actually be allowed to get in your cabin category line for check-in and how attentive staff are to following the plan. 

As a rule, we try to pick the earliest available check-in time if for no other reason than to get a good seat while we figure out how “today’s” process will actually work. It’s also great for people watching and for renewing old acquaintances with passengers and crew alike.

I am hoping Port of Miami will be a smooth experience. They have plenty of experience!
My issue is with Oceania as they always tout noon but I guess it's a sales gimmick and not guaranteed. 

11 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

I am hoping Port of Miami will be a smooth experience. They have plenty of experience!
My issue is with Oceania as they always tout noon but I guess it's a sales gimmick and not guaranteed. 

Oceania doesn't delay folks embarking ime. Port Authorities maybe, but haven't seen O do so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

“Noon?” Noon for what? And from which source document? I can’t remember ever seeing O “always tout noon.” in the Blue Book, Cruise Vacation Summary (final docs) or newer Boarding Pass.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Noon?” Noon for what? And from which source document? I can’t remember ever seeing O “always tout noon.” in the Blue Book, Cruise Vacation Summary (final docs) or newer Boarding Pass.

I found it in the FAQ section on their website. Also recall seeing it when I booked the cruise. 

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Let's break this down.

Or

SR has given you wise advice.  You can always tell experienced cruisers - they board at a later time then newbies and look much more relaxed for it ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaWatch12 said:

I found it in the FAQ section on their website. Also recall seeing it when I booked the cruise. 

COVID changed many things and O is not great with communication. The information on the website is outdated IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaWatch12 said:

If you look at the top of the current O website FAQs for the item where you found the erroneous info about “boarding times,” you’ll notice that it was last updated on July 2, 2018.😳

The “closest to embark” regular communication you will receive from O prior to embark is now the Boarding Pass which will include your selected check-in time (when you did the online check-in) and the port berth info. 
NOTE: even that Boarding Pass berth location can be weeks old when you show up on embark day. IMO, it’s always smart to check with the port authority (website or call) regarding that location within 24-48 hours prior to embark day. (We’ve had a couple last minute berth location changes over the years).

The boarding pass time  thing started  when cruising resumed   when pax had to do the covid test at the port

Seems O has just left that system in place

If you want to board  at the time  allowed for your cabin category then just go  at that time

You may or may not  be stuck waiting outside  until your time slot

if you do make it inside   then you will be met with the long lines to get checked in & board the ship

many like to just go a bit later  & avoid  the mayhem

YMMV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The boarding pass time  thing started  when cruising resumed   when pax had to do the covid test at the port

Seems O has just left that system in place

If you want to board  at the time  allowed for your cabin category then just go  at that time

You may or may not  be stuck waiting outside  until your time slot

if you do make it inside   then you will be met with the long lines to get checked in & board the ship

many like to just go a bit later  & avoid  the mayhem

YMMV

+1

We avoid Boardamania like a hacking Covid patient. A leisurely lunch ashore and a 2:30-4:00 arrival works wonders for us. No crowds, no hassles, and straight to our cabin. Plenty of time for the buffet line another day. 

Boardamania 🤮

• Haha 2

Our last cruises 2022 2023 never went on line to check in.Just showed up around 10:30 am in Miami terminal and sat and waited for cabin category called.

Never new there was an on line check in .

4 hours ago, Acrusa said:

Our last cruises 2022 2023 never went on line to check in.Just showed up around 10:30 am in Miami terminal and sat and waited for cabin category called.

Never new there was an on line check in .

Odd that you wouldn’t know. Check-in process is on the top of your list of action items (right side of your account management page for the particular cruise).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Odd that you wouldn’t know. Check-in process is on the top of your list of action items (right side of your account management page for the particular cruise).

When I received my documents I never went to my account page. It never occurred to me. I've seen it on the page just ignored it. LOL

2 hours ago, Acrusa said:

When I received my documents I never went to my account page. It never occurred to me. I've seen it on the page just ignored it. LOL

And you also may have overlooked the email(s) they send about it??

We’ve noticed that some embarkation ports have security before check-in (Copenhagen, I think Seattle) and some have security after check-in (Civitavecchia, NYC).  Of course, that can change depending on the exact port setup.  When security is first, then the line is usually quite long earlier in the day and it doesn’t matter if you are in a suite or not.  

Once through security, then the ship check-in is a different matter, with suites, etc., having earlier check-in opportunities which you schedule during your on-line check-in.

I like to board early and wander around to check in with our muster station, reacquaint myself with favorite places and view the redecorated (“reimagined”) spaces.  Suites (PH and above) are generally what we purchase and are usually available early afternoon…so I can unpack, etc.  OTOH, I’m one of those that can’t remember “fun in the front, food in the back” which how a staff member explained to remember which “end” of the ship has the restaurants (stern, for the most part) and which the lounges & spa.  I also figure out how many floors up (or down) from our cabin to the GDR, the specialty restaurants, the pool deck, the spa.  I make a little chart for the inside of the cabin door…partly for me and partly so hubby doesn’t have to ask me everytime we go out, lol.

Cruises are a not-inexpensive way to travel.  I’m paying for the boat, I want to be on the boat!  That’s just me, though.  If you don’t like lines and people-watching (and the associated excitement), then go later.  

Leaving on our 8th cruise in two weeks and this one will be just as exciting to me as the first.

Bon voyage!
Annette & Robert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

And you also may have overlooked the email(s) they send about it??

I was told u have to upload a photo. Wondering if I can upload from my passports 

10 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

I was told u have to upload a photo. Wondering if I can upload from my passports 

Not that I’m aware of, has to be taken at time of registration. But again, if you can’t don’t worry about it. They will do,it when you arrive. Sometimes they still do it even if you did during online check in due to an issue with it. 

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Not that I’m aware of, has to be taken at time of registration. But again, if you can’t don’t worry about it. They will do,it when you arrive. Sometimes they still do it even if you did during online check in due to an issue with it. 

WONDERFUL 

38 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

For what it's worth, back in Mar '23, we were told we had to upload a picture, did, and at dockside they ignored any photos anyone uploaded and took new ones of their own.