LIVE-Prima Feb 2-9, 2024 from Galveston-Western Caribbean with PICs, Haven (HE)

Onto cruise related info.....

Packing.

Updated my travel gear on my last cruise.

New roll aboard.....AERO TRUNK ROLL ABOARD.  Had never heard of it, but took a chance.

Hauled it over 6,000 miles for a month all over Europe and came through without a scratch.  And, considering it was WAY less expensive than something like Travel Pro, Briggs, Monos, Hartman, etc with a lifetime warranty. I am very pleased.

This duty will be much less demanding.

Another tried and true (and believe me, I've tried to find something better) is the eBags Pro Slim Weekender.

Between the 2, I do not need to check ANY bags, ANYWHERE.  They are with me at all times.

NCL allows me a bundle of free laundry due to Sapphire Latitudes.  I've found being in the Haven, they'll do your laundry at no charge, anyway.  Not sure if that's a function of the Butler, Concierge or the Room Steward, but I've sent laundry to be done 2X times while in the HAVEN and have never been charged.  That helps.  

So, what to pack?

-meds....which I keep in a small pill separator.  I have 2-3 pills/day.  Plus, I take a vitamin, pack ibuprofen, aspirin, dramamine (which I have yet needed).

-7 pr boxers

-1 hoodie (worn day of travel given I'm coming from cold climate to warm...how warm is Galveston in February, anyway?)

-4 short sleeve shirts (rule of thumb, each shirt gets 2 wearings)

-4 pr shorts (same rule of thumb)

-2 pr socks

-1 pr tennis shoes (worn day of (dis)embarkation

-1 pr of Allbirds shoes (in case I dine in LeBistro)

-1 pr Khakis (in case I dine in LeBistro

-1 pr swim trunks

-1 pr of workout shorts

-2 t-shirts (washed in sink if required)

-1 Macbook Air

-1 iPhone

-1 pr of AirPods

-1 pr of Bose ANC headphones

-flight/cruise tix

-passport

-cash

-2 credit cards

And, done........

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

• Like 8

My brother and sister, both in the healthcare field, say stick with traditional Medicare, as the Advantage plans don't want to pay.  Private business are all about profit.  I'm still 4+ years away from that decision, but already know what it will be.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks.  I like those!

We take pills morning and evening.

One pouch for morning, one for evening.

We put all of mine in a larger zip lock and all of wife's in another.

Eash to keep straight.

Easy to write on each pouch.

Works really good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

My brother and sister, both in the healthcare field, say stick with traditional Medicare, as the Advantage plans don't want to pay.  Private business are all about profit.  I'm still 4+ years away from that decision, but already know what it will be.

I never have an issue with making a profit.  Seeing what prescription drugs cost in other countries makes my eyes water when comparing them to the prices here for example!

That said, my Medicare is the best insurance I’ve ever had.  I have a supplement, too!

Worked for multi-billion dollar corporations who did not offer health insurance anywhere as good as Medicare.

Be prepared to be inundated once you make that decision!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I never have an issue with making a profit.  Seeing what prescription drugs cost in other countries makes my eyes water when comparing them to the prices here for example!

That said, my Medicare is the best insurance I’ve ever had.  I have a supplement, too!

Worked for multi-billion dollar corporations who did not offer health insurance anywhere as good as Medicare.

Be prepared to be inundated once you make that decision!

The two things that irritate me the most on TV are the medicare advantage and the Camp Lejune lawyer commercials.

One of the best decisions I ever made was joining the National Guard when I left active duty.  Not only have I earned a nice pension after 22 years service, I also have Tricare for life which functions as an medicare supplement.  Twice I've contact those medicare advantage companies only to be told that Tricare beats anything they offer and it is free.  Basically, TFL covers all expenses not paid by medicare.  I do pay $12 for a three month prescription for all most all prescription drugs.  

• Like 5

@graphicguy  "-1 hoodie (worn day of travel given I'm coming from cold climate to warm...how warm is Galveston in February, anyway?)

believe above is a rhetorical question, but, since you asked, generally speaking, lows near 50, with highs in the 60's (Hopefully, no deep Polar Vortex in late January/early February this year!) 😟

https://weather-and-climate.com/galveston-texas-us-February-averages  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The two things that irritate me the most on TV are the medicare advantage and the Camp Lejune lawyer commercials.

One of the best decisions I ever made was joining the National Guard when I left active duty.  Not only have I earned a nice pension after 22 years service, I also have Tricare for life which functions as an medicare supplement.  Twice I've contact those medicare advantage companies only to be told that Tricare beats anything they offer and it is free.  Basically, TFL covers all expenses not paid by medicare.  I do pay $12 for a three month prescription for all most all prescription drugs.  

Good deal.  

Agree about the Camp LeJeunne commercials.  I don't know how many people actually signed up for that law suit.  But, it was ridiculous.  It's subsided in recent months with me.

I have Plan G as a supplement.  Still way better coverage than I got with my emloyer's plan and obviously cheaper.

IMG_2352.thumb.png.40302ab446ad1291eaa5f01339c353b2.pngThinking out loud….I don’t think I’m going to pre plan any excursion except for Harvest Caye Electric Boat sailing.  

Have been to these ports many times.  Have seen the Monkeys, the Sloths, the Ruins, etc. 

Let’s see what the $50/excursion credit nets me without adding to it!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

WOW.....how strong were those winds?

There were areas of the greater Houston area that were quite stormy, and according to the article:

the strong weather included wind gusts recorded as high as 47 miles per hour (76 kilometers per hour), conditions strong enough to put too much stress on the lines holding the 143,535-gross-ton vessel. At least one mooring line snapped, which could be dangerous if the line had ricocheted toward dock workers.

Fortunately, most workers had already taken shelter and were far enough from the incident to remain safe. The ship did not break completely free, and was quickly re-secured. When any lines break, a large ship will be drifting somewhat loosely, which can be a dangerous situation.

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

There were areas of the greater Houston area that were quite stormy, and according to the article:

the strong weather included wind gusts recorded as high as 47 miles per hour (76 kilometers per hour), conditions strong enough to put too much stress on the lines holding the 143,535-gross-ton vessel. At least one mooring line snapped, which could be dangerous if the line had ricocheted toward dock workers.

Fortunately, most workers had already taken shelter and were far enough from the incident to remain safe. The ship did not break completely free, and was quickly re-secured. When any lines break, a large ship will be drifting somewhat loosely, which can be a dangerous situation.

Double WOW!!!!

47 MPH.  I can't even fathom having the mooring line snap and hitting a dock worker.  That would have smashed them like a bug.  Glad no one was injured.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

In addition to my Prima cruise being sold out, it looks like ALL the Prima cruises are sold out until the end of February.  Looks like a popular ship.

Weather will be perfect for this class of ship, the outdoor Haven area will be in full use. The only downside for you will be deck #8, with only one bar located aft and its limited menu may force you to stay in the Haven enclave.

Jim

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Weather will be perfect for this class of ship, the outdoor Haven area will be in full use. The only downside for you will be deck #8, with only one bar located aft and its limited menu may force you to stay in the Haven enclave.

Jim

Is being forced to stay in the Haven enclave a bad deal?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Jim

That's good to hear!

The bars on board tend to find me.... 😉  Will hang out on Decks 6,7,8 when I'm not in the Haven.

• Like 1

Wellll....I see NCL's WEB woes have not improved.  Got checked in.  But, it wasn't without some  cajoling....complete one page, it hangs.  Learned to complete one page, "Save and Exit".  Log out, log back in.  Complete next page.  "Save and Exit".  Log out, log back in...wash, rinse, repeat.

Allowed me to pick a check in time.  I don't know much about Galveston.  And, I DO NOT want to get into a mad rush.  Assuming it's like other ports, people start showing up around 9:30-10:00.  Maybe start boarding Mobility and Haven guest somewhere about 11:00-11:30.  I'll probably shoot for 11:45-Noon and let the dust settle so I can just stroll on board.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Wellll....I see NCL's WEB woes have not improved.  Got checked in.  But, it wasn't without some  cajoling....complete one page, it hangs.  Learned to complete one page, "Save and Exit".  Log out, log back in.  Complete next page.  "Save and Exit".  Log out, log back in...wash, rinse, repeat.

Allowed me to pick a check in time.  I don't know much about Galveston.  And, I DO NOT want to get into a mad rush.  Assuming it's like other ports, people start showing up around 9:30-10:00.  Maybe start boarding Mobility and Haven guest somewhere about 11:00-11:30.  I'll probably shoot for 11:45-Noon and let the dust settle so I can just stroll on board.

I just finished my checkin around 0900.  No website issues.  Even accepted my pictures from last year.

I was offered 1030 check in time which was my preference.  I'm staying at Houston airport (IAH) and I have a private car pick up at 0900 so the 1030 time works for me.  I'm expecting a long travel time to Galveston because of the Mardi Gras.  I know the parades don't start  until 5PM but I expect heavy traffic to Galveston.

BTW, there were only four 1030 times left when I checked in and I got one of them.  

I did my dining reservations weeks ago and we don't really care for the entertainment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

We experienced something new from NCL on our latest check-in, we got an email from NCL reminding us to check in and a second email informing us that the Edocs were ready.

We have been selecting a later arrival time since most cabins in steerage aren't ready until 2 PM or later and the main dining room opens after 1 PM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We experienced something new from NCL on our latest check-in, we got an email from NCL reminding us to check in and a second email informing us that the Edocs were ready.

We have been selecting a later arrival time since most cabins in steerage aren't ready until 2 PM or later and the main dining room opens after 1 PM.

We used to arrive at the port very early, even before the doors opened.  Now, we prefer to arrive after the crowd clears out.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just finished my checkin around 0900.  No website issues.  Even accepted my pictures from last year.

I was offered 1030 check in time which was my preference.  I'm staying at Houston airport (IAH) and I have a private car pick up at 0900 so the 1030 time works for me.  I'm expecting a long travel time to Galveston because of the Mardi Gras.  I know the parades don't start  until 5PM but I expect heavy traffic to Galveston.

BTW, there were only four 1030 times left when I checked in and I got one of them.  

I did my dining reservations weeks ago and we don't really care for the entertainment.

Accepted my pic from my Epic Cruise in October.  Flying in to HOU and staying close to the pier (within a few miles).  I had read the MardiGras happenings.  So, glad I'm near the port.  

Dining was done yesterday with the pre-cruise concierge.  I'm ambivalent about Donna Summer. Probably go just "because".  I'm not a disco person.

Will let the initial crowd hanging around the port to clear out.  Figure the lines start around 9:30-ish and will mill about until 11:00-ish.  I'll get there when that clears out.

No eDocs available yet.  Not worried. 

12 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I did not receive the reminder email to check in for my upcoming cruise (perhaps because I am one of those lunatics who already checked in at midnight), but I did receive the email informing me that the edocs were ready. The earliest time available out of Miami was 11:00 AM. Wondering whether that is normal for Miami or whether this is related to the marathon happening that morning.

I also did not encounter the technical issues that @graphicguy had to deal with but I do think it's a conspiracy against him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1