Aboard Serenity Jan 5-18: Renewing the Adventure

gmarsh

I think we’re stopping somewhere today…Turks and Caicos maybe?

For moi, the ship is my destination but since we’re docked today, we’ll wander off sometime and help the local economy.  (Probably a comma splice in there, but Mrs Fish will forgive me😆)

it is a simple joy to have Mark Farris playing for us in the Saloon.  He brings back so many memories of singing, hootin’ and hollering.  Recognition of so many couples wedded for 40, 50 and yup…60 years.  Amazing😘.

We are beginning to get into our normal ship-board routine now and the Lido Team keeps us in beverages without missing a beat.  I get a bit misty eyed seeing just how dedicated the crew is.  Everyone has a smile and wants to help.  They’re just as glad to be home as we are.

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, ryndam said:

Wow Rob, you clearly can't stay away !

I understand that Mark is one of the best in the Saloon. If so, could you please arrange for either him or Joel to be there in july and November when we are onboard😀

Have a great cruise

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gmarsh, thank you for starting a thread for this cruise. It is lovely to read about other’s appreciation of Mark Farris. I would love to chime in and add to the comments above. With Mark tickling the ivories, we know Crystal is back! This segment has only just begun and Mark already has his audience in his hands and took time to highlight amazing milestone anniversaries of our fellow guests.  Other Avenue entertainers are very good but, in our opinion, Mark Farris sets the bar.  I believe he is only performing on this one cruise but hopefully we will see him more often now Crystal is back in service.  He is definitely a crowd pleaser and it is clear everyone has missed him.  Welcome back, Mark!

Looking forward to following along as you write about the cruise from your perspective. Enjoy the day in Grand Turk.

Ashley

• Like 6

Formal night observations: perhaps 10-15% +/- gentlemen wearing tuxes. The vast majority, including us, wearing dark suits. The ladies were all elegantly attired. From full-on sparkly gowns, pantsuits, cocktail dresses and everything in between. Impression: virtually everyone last night respected the formal dress. It was nice to see everyone wearing their best.

Rob

• Like 5

If you can, rent a golf cart right there by the ship and take it up the island to a little place nestled in a neighborhood called Sandbar. Wonderful seafood right on a gorgeous beach. Then continue on to tour the lighthouse. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

If you can, rent a golf cart right there by the ship and take it up the island to a little place nestled in a neighborhood called Sandbar. Wonderful seafood right on a gorgeous beach. Then continue on to tour the lighthouse. 

Unfortunately, it’s Sunday and most venues are closed today. 

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Unfortunately, it’s Sunday and most venues are closed today. 

Perhaps, but the Sandbar is very small and local so might be open.  And I think the lighthouse is just open for anyone to go through with nobody manning it. But my memory could be rum-razzled! Enjoy the beautiful beach to yourself! Jealous! 

Edited by Cruise-y

3 hours ago, ryndam said:

Formal night observations: perhaps 10-15% +/- gentlemen wearing tuxes. The vast majority, including us, wearing dark suits. The ladies were all elegantly attired. From full-on sparkly gowns, pantsuits, cocktail dresses and everything in between. Impression: virtually everyone last night respected the formal dress. It was nice to see everyone wearing their best.

Rob

Any men wearing "sneakers" or sneaker bottom shoes with their suits as seems to be the fashion in some places.

48 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Any men wearing "sneakers" or sneaker bottom shoes with their suits as seems to be the fashion in some places.

The median pax age on this cruise skews rather elderly. Many pax seem to wear “comfy” shoes, not necessarily as a fashion statement, but as a medical necessity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise-y said:

Perhaps, but the Sandbar is very small and local so might be open.  And I think the lighthouse is just open for anyone to go through with nobody manning it. But my memory could be rum-razzled! Enjoy the beautiful beach to yourself! Jealous! 

Sandbar closed today. As it appears all the vehicle rental venues.

IMG_8908.thumb.png.b2551b646f4abca394160c725686fc64.png

For those that stay up for pizza at 11pm, they’re still serving salmon pizza on formal nights. No one eats the salmon pizza. Seafood has no business on a pizza. Ever. Especially as midnight bar snacks. Hopefully they used up all the salmon bits last night. Lol

🤣😆🥴

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ryndam said:

For those that stay up for pizza at 11pm, they’re still serving salmon pizza on formal nights. No one eats the salmon pizza. Seafood has no business on a pizza. Ever. Especially as midnight bar snacks. Hopefully they used up all the salmon bits last night. Lol

🤣😆🥴

Ohhhhh…that’s what I schmelled….🍷

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Best night and day thus far!

6am coffee was the best.

Ran the gauntlet to get into the Grand Turk plaza next to Margaritaville.

Had a dish of sherbet and listened to a guy to reggae versions of everything 😎.

Back on boat and had a fine salad and leftover veal ragout…OMG so good.

NAP

Swim

Sail away was a teary moment, Wonderful World and Over the Rainbow just get me.

Dined on Die Schnitzel mit a rendition of German tater salad.  Again and more please.

We went to see the show, James Foxx does Billy Joel and he rocked it along with the band and dancing Uptown Girls and Boys.  Don’t miss it!

Back to Main dining to get dessert, Citrus trifle…thanks Kasa!

And we have a Sea Day before hitting the USVI.

The difference between a boat and a ship?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/whats-the-difference-between-a-boat-and-a-ship

G

IMG_1393.jpeg

Edited by gmarsh
Fat fingers
  • Like 6

Time changed ahead an hour as we sail leisurely to St Thomas.

As my buddy Neil Sedaka said, “Waking up is hard to do…”

Major issue with the menu tonight.  Mushroom soup bowl, liver, short ribs, lamb chops ALL on the list…I’ll get an extra side of each😆!

Salad can wait.

IMG_1382.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4