Cabin Power re medallion

jeriram

Does anyone know if when you leave your cabin the electricity cuts off because the medallion is no longer in the room?  We have some electricity needs for a medical device that needs to be powered on in the early evening.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, jeriram said:

Does anyone know if when you leave your cabin the electricity cuts off because the medallion is no longer in the room?  We have some electricity needs for a medical device that needs to be powered on in the early evening.  Thanks!

The medallion has nothing to do with electrical outlets in your cabin.

Power stays on whether you're there or not or your medallion is there or not. 

• Like 1

Power stays on - Might want to mention the device charging to the cabin steward. Might unplug it when they come in for turndown service while you are out OR wait until after they come to plug it in IF Possible. 

2 hours ago, jeriram said:

This was how the Royal class cabins were originally setup , with using your cruise card to be inserted in the associated slot to activate the lights, etc. The slot is still there, but the cabins were revised so a card insertion is no longer required.

My last MSC ship required your key card to activate the cabin, on some cruiselines, you used to be able to insert ‘any’ card or even heavy paper into the slot. MSC’s cards have a chip, so any other card like from another Cruiseline will not work.

The medallion is a battery and not related to power in the cabin. We have things charging all the time   Books, phones, IPads hearing aids etc.   Never had a problem 

On the ships with the card slot to enable power to the room, it would cut off all power including the electrical outlets.  I learned this from the school of hard knocks!  With the advent of the medallion this system was removed as we no longer had cards.  I believe that in this day and age we all have battery operated devices that have to be recharged constantly.  Therefore we need the power to the chargers to be always on.  

54 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

On the ships with the card slot to enable power to the room, it would cut off all power including the electrical outlets.  I learned this from the school of hard knocks!  With the advent of the medallion this system was removed as we no longer had cards.  I believe that in this day and age we all have battery operated devices that have to be recharged constantly.  Therefore we need the power to the chargers to be always on.  

Cruise cards were never used in that slot. If they were you would not be able to get back into the room

31 minutes ago, memoak said:

Cruise cards were never used in that slot. If they were you would not be able to get back into the room

The concept was that when you entered the cabin you placed the cruise card into the slot and the lights would come on. When you exited the cabin you removed the card to take with you and the lights went off.  You could get back into the cabin since you had the cruise card with you. The concept was flawed from the beginning. I was on the Royal during it's first year. I read about the issues and brought along an old cruise card to place in the slot and leave it there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

The intent absolutely *was* to use the cruise card...but very often when we would enter our cabin (back when the system was being used...) the room steward (or somebody) had stuck a piece of cardboard into the slot because NOBODY would use their cruise card!  This is pretty much the same as MANY European hotels today...STILL!

Thank you everyone who answered this!   I feel more comfortable now.  I will let the steward know not to unplug our device.  Happy sailing everyone!