Embarkation Day -- Specialty Restaurants

Are the specialty restaurants open for dinner on embarkation day?

Prior to our October Noordam cruise we had made a reservation months ahead for Canaletto without a problem yet once on board we received a note and a follow-up telephone call from the restaurant that they were closing that night.

What are your recent experiences?  (I heard that this is the way to go to avoid the first night's MDR chaos.)

They were the last time I cruised, and it was easy to get in that night. At least the Pinnacle was. I've never eaten in the Caneletto, the menu doesn't appeal to me. 

Posted (edited)

Can current cruisers comment? @richwmn or @Haljo1935?

There have been reports that closing Canaletto on embarkation day has happened just recently.  Apparently, HAL is hoping more people will eat in the Lido buffet on embarkation day to ease the crowded MDR.  The Canaletto space was used to seat the extra Lido diners.

Other specialty restaurants were open.

I have no direct experience with this, but I read it here on the HAL Forum!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Chinook Wind The Canaletto staff are occupied helping in the Lido first night now that they are offering steak dinner to entice any-time diners to eat there rather than queue up outside the MDR. Only the Canaletto is 'dark' on first night; Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind (on Signature and Pinnacle ships) are open and book-able.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Noordam for a November cruise.  We had reservations at the Pinnacle Grill for embarkation night, but we really didn't need to bother.  There were only about 4 other tables in use while we were there for our 6:00 dinner.  We've never eaten at the Canaletto on embarkation night.

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Can current cruisers comment? @richwmn or @Haljo1935?

There have been reports that closing Canaletto on embarkation day has happened just recently.  Apparently, HAL is hoping more people will eat in the Lido buffet on embarkation day to ease the crowded MDR.  The Canaletto space was used to seat the extra Lido diners.

Other specialty restaurants were open.

I have no direct experience with this, but I read it here on the HAL Forum!

~Nancy

Confirmed Canaletto is closed Embarkation Day on K'dam @Chinook Wind although others are open.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for double checking what the “deal” is on the K’dam. We’ll be boarding your ship on Saturday so that info is helpful.  Have been following your wonderful thread and living vicariously through your posts.  Thanks for taking us all along with you! ☺️