Will Marina become less desirable?

MV21

Having sailed on all the ships, and now that itinerary isn’t the driving factor for us anymore, we’ll only sail on Vista and Allura in future.  

Vista is a big step up from Marina & Riviera (with the exception of Jacques being replaced with Ember).  We’ve done all the far flung cruises we’re going to do, so the ship is now more important to us than where it’s going.  But horses for courses, book what you enjoy, and everyone’s personal taste is just that.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Having sailed on all the ships, and now that itinerary isn’t the driving factor for us anymore, we’ll only sail on Vista and Allura in future.  

Vista is a big step up from Marina & Riviera (with the exception of Jacques being replaced with Ember).  We’ve done all the far flung cruises we’re going to do, so the ship is now more important to us than where it’s going.  But horses for courses, book what you enjoy, and everyone’s personal taste is just that.  

Curious why you consider Vista is a big step up from Marina & Riviera (except for the age obviously).

@Tr1v1alCru1ser, I’d also like to know why you wouldn’t go back to the older ships.

We have our first O cruise on Vista coming up this summer and we’re considering an Asia cruise on Riviera( will book only after our Vista cruise). Both PH cabins. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We are booked on Marina this November and we were bummed out when we learned the veranda staterooms and the bathrooms, in particular, won't be refurbished in the spring refit. We were on Riviera last year and loved the redesigned bathrooms, which are nearly identical to those on the newer Vista. But I'm more concerned now with reports of faulty A/C in some Marina staterooms. I've read posts where people didn't have A/C for the duration of their cruise and the only accommodation to them was a fan! (???) Does anyone know how pervasive this problem is on Marina? No A/C in the Caribbean would ruin our cruise.

We were just on the Marina in January in an A3 cabin on 9. It was very hot in Brazil, but we had no problems with the a/c. Can’t say for others, but I didn’t hear any grumbling, though I did see a fan in one of the cabins. On the other hand, I sleep with a fan in our 63 degree house, so who knows…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

It is a step up in many ways but paper thin walls are a huge problem. Noise from neighbor TV's and conversations was a pervasive problem on both our fairly long cruises over the past 3 months. Highly recommend considering this major issue before booking Vista and probably Allura. What a shame!

I'm just glad Allura and Vista cheerleaders are willing to pay so much more for their cruises than I have on my 30 nights on Riviera since 12/2021. I'll take Jacques and the large therapy pool and the similar deck plans at a significantly less expensive price. Not having been on Marina, but having been on Riviera pre-refit, I think Marina will be fine, too. Just no big therapy pool. We preferred the decor/aesthetic on Riviera pre- rather than post-refit. Not a fan of what I see as Scandinavian Minimalism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

We agree. Vista is a beautiful ship that will be very familiar in layout to those who have sailed on Riviera and Marina, but we would prefer to book only Vista and Marina if possible (and we love the casualness of Ember and never cared for the old-style Jacques; to each his/her own, of course). 

That said, we are on Marina this November and then Allura in 2025. We got a super deal on Marina quite a while back while on another cruise, and our Marina cruise is going to Guadeloupe, which is one of the few Caribbean islands that accept cruise ships that we haven't been to.  

7 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

...Vista is a beautiful ship that will be very familiar in layout to those who have sailed on Riviera and Marina, but we would prefer to book only Vista and Marina if possible....   

What does Marina have that Riviera doesn't? (Or the vice versa if that matters.) Riviera has the large therapy pool on the spa deck, for example that Marina doesn't. And Marina will get her modest refit, as opposed to Riviera's full refit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

What does Marina have that Riviera doesn't? (Or the vice versa if that matters.) Riviera has the large therapy pool on the spa deck, for example that Marina doesn't. And Marina will get her modest refit, as opposed to Riviera's full refit.

Veranda rooms with tubs. Some like them, some don't, but they were taken out of Riviera, Marina will still have them. 

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Veranda rooms with tubs. Some like them, some don't, but they were taken out of Riviera, Marina will still have them. 

They were NOT all removed on Riviera.

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

They were NOT all removed on Riviera.

I’m pretty aware of that. I’m pretty sure I’m the person that posted the list of the rooms that still have them. Would you feel better if I had said most of them were removed? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

... Would you feel better if I had said most of them were removed? 

Not sure what bee is in your bonnet, but there are bathtubs in some veranda cabins on Riviera, contra your statement: "but they were taken out of Riviera".

So that still begs the question, WHAT does Marina have that Riviera doesn't (or the vice versa if that is somehow important)? As I've said, Riviera does have the larger therapy pool on the spa deck forward. Very nice.

It will be interesting to see exactly what change are made to Marina during her refit....lots of rumors and broad statements leaving much wiggle room.   We will wait until the refit is done and she is back sailing to hear reports from those onboard to the changes.  Of course, that does preclude being able to ring hands and complain about a supposed change....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Curious why you consider Vista is a big step up from Marina & Riviera (except for the age obviously).

We preferred the decor, the seating in the theatre being tiered, the addition of Aquamar, the cabin (PH) - with the exception of the removal of the walk-in which we were asked about following mid cruise comments, the new layout in the GDR, the covered outdoor seating in the Terrace Cafe, the addition of the bakery ( the quiches are delicious).  We didn’t have any issues with noise from adjoining cabins.  We just felt that Vista is a big improvement on Riviera and Marina.  

21 hours ago, dock said:

@Tr1v1alCru1ser, I’d also like to know why you wouldn’t go back to the older ships.

We have our first O cruise on Vista coming up this summer and we’re considering an Asia cruise on Riviera( will book only after our Vista cruise). Both PH cabins. Thanks. 

We were on a 21 days cruise last year on Regatta, and although you have the advantage of being able to get in to smaller ports, we prefer the bigger PH on the bigger ships (especially the bathrooms), and more dining options.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Not sure what bee is in your bonnet, but there are bathtubs in some veranda cabins on Riviera, contra your statement: "but they were taken out of Riviera".

So that still begs the question, WHAT does Marina have that Riviera doesn't (or the vice versa if that is somehow important)? As I've said, Riviera does have the larger therapy pool on the spa deck forward. Very nice.

Oh boy, Let me try it this way. None of the verandas (B & A category) on Marina have had, nor are they planning to have, their tubs removed. Other than a select handful on Riviera they have been removed. So I'll make this even more plain for you. If someone preferred the location of a B1 and preferred having a tub over a shower then Marina would have something that Riviera doesn't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I ate in Jacques last night.  The menu is tired, and I have better French restaurants at home.  If and when it is gone from Marina, I won't miss it at all.  

Without boring anyone with the number of days I have sailed on Marina, the stateroom categories, the prices I've paid and other trivialities ad nauseum, I will say that I have never used the tub, but if my wife wants to line dry her undies, it's a good place for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I ate in Jacques last night.  The menu is tired, and I have better French restaurants at home.  If and when it is gone from Marina, I won't miss it at all.  

Without boring anyone with the number of days I have sailed on Marina, the stateroom categories, the prices I've paid and other trivialities ad nauseum, I will say that I have never used the tub, but if my wife wants to line dry her undies, it's a good place for that.

Same here. Have to agree it’s really nice for hanging things to dry. I just requested to move to an A3 on the Riviera on an upcoming cruise, and I’ll actually be a bit disappointed if it comes through. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

...None of the verandas (B & A category) on Marina have had, nor are they planning to have, their tubs removed. Other than a select handful on Riviera they have been removed. ... If someone preferred the location of a B1 and preferred having a tub over a shower then Marina would have something that Riviera doesn't.

And yet the person who claims Marina is the ship for him, hasn't raised the highly specific claim that you have. As if a bathtub in a specific B or A cabin is making all the difference. IF they want a bathtub, they can get one on Riviera, too. The post in question doesn't even mention B or A cabins. You're reading a lot into someone else's specific issue.

15 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And yet the person who claims Marina is the ship for him, hasn't raised the highly specific claim that you have. As if a bathtub in a specific B or A cabin is making all the difference. IF they want a bathtub, they can get one on Riviera, too. The post in question doesn't even mention B or A cabins. You're reading a lot into someone else's specific issue.

You do know you're talking nonsense now?

• Like 1

We spent 16 days on Vista in Nov. thru the canal in a PH and are still looking for the walk in closet.  Ship beautiful but miss Jacques.   Will be on Marina in Nov. so we  will see how   that goes. will be our 15th.  

19 hours ago, RJB said:

We spent 16 days on Vista in Nov. thru the canal in a PH and are still looking for the walk in closet.  Ship beautiful but miss Jacques.   Will be on Marina in Nov. so we  will see how   that goes. will be our 15th.  

Having commented on the lack of the walk in on the mid cruise comments, we were contacted the following day, and asked if we’d be prepared to discuss this.  We said yes, so were visited in our cabin and asked what we didn’t like about about the face to face wardrobes.  We pointed out that it was difficult for us both to be getting clothes out at the same time, there was less hanging space, and we used to store our cases in there as sometimes they didn’t fit under the bed.  Also, the hanging wasn’t enough or long enough for some of the longer dresses I’d taken.  Our comments were noted, so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s been any change on Allura next year.  

We miss Jacques too as we weren’t impressed with Ember, although many liked it.  

• Thanks 1

One facet about the walk-in vs facing cabinets:  The back wall of what would otherwise be a walk-in is where the door for adjoining cabins goes.

Too much like Get Smart if it's in the back of a walk-in,no?  😉 

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:20 PM, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

the seating in the theatre being tiered

The seating being tiered is absolutely NOT any kind of advantage for the Vista theatre. Sight lines are horrific! The designer of that theatre as well as whoever chose soundproofing in walls between cabins should be sued for architectural malpractice!. If you spend enough time on Vista, as I did you will have an issue with noise between the cabins, The crew's feedback on volume of complaints during my nearly month on the ship was very convincing of that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, edgee said:

The seating being tiered is absolutely NOT any kind of advantage for the Vista theatre. Sight lines are horrific! The designer of that theatre as well as whoever chose soundproofing in walls between cabins should be sued for architectural malpractice!. If you spend enough time on Vista, as I did you will have an issue with noise between the cabins, The crew's feedback on volume of complaints during my nearly month on the ship was very convincing of that.

That is sad. Maybe with enough time, people will be able to identify the locations on the ship where the soundproofing is not adequate. It seems to be a predominant issue. However, it appears that there are areas where this does not occur. It would be a great benefit to know where not to book for those who are sound sensitive. I am one of those people. It all Truly makes no sense that a build would have different insulation in different areas, but I have zero knowledge on what comprises the building of a ship. There is no point in arguing if it is happening, because clearly there are areas where it is. The fact that the crew is receiving high volumes of complaints makes it difficult to dismiss. I am sorry you had such a disruptive sleep situation on your trip. That would be extremely frustrating to have to put up with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, cruisingxpert said:

They are still offering La Reserve ( Odyssey and Dom meal only) but it is in Privee and the pre dinner aperitif is in the Library.

They are also offering food and wine pairings in Toscana and Polo.  What disappoints me is that you can't book Privee for a private event and pay $300

On Vista, there was an area in Polo, I think, that was private and could accommodate a group of 8 (maybe 10, I forget). Don't know if there was any upcharge for it or not. Just saw groups using it.