Princess Cay

newfiegirl4

Hey there. Just wondering if recent goers to the private island had any issues with the wasps? I was there in November and couldn’t stay as wasps were swarming and I am terrified of them. While there spoke to a few guests who were saying the same thing. Couldn’t even take advantage of the clamshell that was booked and paid for, or the drink pkg, as I was told wasps everywhere around the bar, even a waiter was stung, Ouch! So got back on the ferry to head back to the ship. Never even stayed an hour!!
Apparently I was told that after a visit to guest services the island was going to be sprayed. 
I hope future guests did enjoy it. 
 Happy Cruising 🥂

Are you considering another cruise, with Princess Cay???

I hope somebody that has been more recently can answer!

We have not been in the Fall (Sept, Oct, Nov...). 

Our last visit was in the winter, and there were no wasps.

Could it be some kind of Yellowjacket???  (I do not know about tropical bees!!!)

Anyhow, what you describe sounds like what we could see here with Yellowjackets.

They com out and swarm in late summer and thru the Fall.

They come out of nests that are like ants, holes in the ground.  (not flying distances out of wasps nests in trees)

If one can find where they are coming from they are easy to get rid of.

Another question for any recent cruisers stopping at Princess Cays.   We have always gone in November or March and the water temperature, while not as warm as the Caribbean, has always been easily swimmable.  Is that the case in January?  We are going next year at this time (mid Jan) and wondering if it is a little cold for swimming?  Any info?

Thanks

As far s Wasps, I am never to mindful of them.  I can't recall having a problem with them the last few times we have been to PC, but maybe it is seasonal.  Around our home, They are more of a problem around August/September as they seem to hover by the smell of any outdoor food.

January can be 'iffy'....

We started our cruise in warm weather.

Then, overnight, the rains that preceded a huge cold front came...

Rains ended mid-day..  gorgeous and sunny...  but water was rough and not clear... Not 'cold', but I like it warmer.  Sunny and just gorgeous!!!  hated to have to leave a couple hours after the sun finally came out!

You just never know!!!!

Sailing back, the temp dropped and  dropped, and there were gale force winds from the North.

I have to say, the ship handled that well!!!!   But, yes, it became cold.

Same thing on a trip a few years ago to the Cancun area in Jan...  Started warm..  then RAiN and RAIN, and cooler temps.

Watch the weather down there as this frigid front comes thru next week.

Sub-zero, temperatures in the North...

Single digits over night here in the Southeast.

It is these 'clipper' polar vortex that might affect the weather that far into the Bahamas.

Fine if there is no cold front.

But, not so good if one of the January deep freezes gets that far.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Jan is usually to cold for us as we live in Florida, so why bother.

I've never been pestered by wasps or bees but the last time we were there you couldn't even enjoy lunch because of the flies. Literally dozens of them swarming over each table landing on your food. 

It's just not worth the stop there any more for us. We just enjoy a quiet day on the ship and last trip we skipped the stop altogether because of the weather & got reimbursed port charges of $33.68 per person which paid for a nice dinner in a Specialty restaurant.  

I wish they would skip it more often. 😄😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Jan is usually to cold for us as we live in Florida, so why bother.

I've never been pestered by wasps or bees but the last time we were there you couldn't even enjoy lunch because of the flies. Literally dozens of them swarming over each table landing on your food. 

It's just not worth the stop there any more for us. We just enjoy a quiet day on the ship and last trip we skipped the stop altogether because of the weather & got reimbursed port charges of $33.68 per person which paid for a nice dinner in a Specialty restaurant.  

I wish they would skip it more often. 😄😉

We enjoy the stops at a Private Island.  The ship emptys out and one can enjoy a nice day on the ship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

We enjoy the stops at a Private Island.  The ship emptys out and one can enjoy a nice day on the ship.  

It's even better when they refund the port charges. 😁

We usually cruise in February or March. Always enjoy Princess Cay. Nice beach day and we are all about the beach in Caribbean. 🏖

Edited by philv

We especially enjoyed our last visit to Princess Cay.  rented our favorite Bungalow.

Maybe not the most spectacular private island...  But NOTHNG beats that sunshine, palm trees...

Even the servers there at lunch were getting into the Island Spirit, and jamming to their Island beats.

15 hours ago, cruisingcousin1 said:

I was at Princess Cays the first week in December.  The water was beautiful and not bothered with yellow jacks or bees.  It sounds like maybe a seasonal issue.  We had a relaxing day on PC.  

I cruised Nov 26- Dec 4. This was my first time ever experiencing anything like this in any Island that time of year. 
Thats why I asked as it was horrible! 

No,  I very highly doubt....   A private island like this is a controlled cruise port.

Unless Bahamas law means that anyone can walk the 'shoreline', even there.

I don't know if Disney would have negotiated permission to secure the shoreline there.

Disney Cruise guest, of course, can leave and see what they wish...  just as we can leave Princess Cay.

But, nobody without cruise guest, staff, ID can probably come back in.

I have never left Princess Cays and re-entered.  But I believe you would have to show your cruise medallion and ID?

One could go over there, to a beach access, as close as possible, and start walking.  

They could possibly have fencing, rock barrier, that makes it more impassable???

I just don't see 'crashing' the Disney Private Beach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

Wonder if Princess cruisers will be able to use the new Lighthouse Point Disney area when it opens in April?

Yea, sure. 😄

Let us know if you manage it somehow.

I'll bet they have a better swimming area, without all the rocks. 

2 hours ago, seeyouinthesun said:

I was there today. No problems at all. Did not see one. 

That’s fantastic. I guess they sprayed the island then as promised! Now hopefully everyone will/can enjoy….even the bartenders who were stung while I was there! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newfiegirl4 said:

That’s fantastic. I guess they sprayed the island then as promised! Now hopefully everyone will/can enjoy….even the bartenders who were stung while I was there! 

That's very unusual. Someone must have disturbed a nest. 

On 1/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, MissP22 said:

That's very unusual. Someone must have disturbed a nest. 

Well there must be many nests as they were everywhere we walked from our chairs to the beach! Others spoke about them too!..lol

If they are like Yellowjackets, they do not make nest, like wasps nests in trees...

They are like their ant 'cousins' and their nest are burrows/holes in the ground.

And, they know, from miles around, where the sweet drinks are!!!!  And it isn't too hard to find those holes nearby.

They are probably not around right now, because if they are like Yellowjackets, they swarm when it gets late Summer/Fall.  Maybe even in Bahamas???  And, yes, when they swarm, they are bad!!!!

We have had a couple of Yellowjacket nests here, and DH and DS took bottles, with a little something like wasp killer, or gasoline or kerosine, and dumped it right into the opening, and leaving the bottle to block the opening.

That takes care of the problem, one easy step.