Flip Phone

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I know that .I never said that I use my iPad to make calls.I have a phone attached to a wall.I am in my 80’s .Life was much simpler before technology and I do not recall people complaining about not being able to do things electronically.

I cruised less before technology. 🙂

I started cruising 5 times a year when good and cheap internet became available. 

Good thing we have a choice not using something if we don’t need to, or use it if we need to. Simpler life included so many inconveniences. For example I hate wasting time shopping in stores… and now I don’t even need to do this. How is this complicated? 🙂 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, seeing the sights said:

Hello, We are going to be sailing on Anthem on Feb 25. We don't own smart phones but I am computer literate we have our set sail pass with an arrival time of 10:00AM  My question is can us bommers pull this off with only a flip phone? Can we do our health check online (no app) before we leave the house. We will be bringing a laptop with us on this trip, Can we do the muster drill online or on the cabin tv when we get in our cabin?  Thanks, Joe

I have been on a total of 161 cruises and so far I have been with out a "smart" phone.  A flip phone and a tablet has helped.  You should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

18 hours ago, Tatka said:

I cruised less before technology. 🙂

I started cruising 5 times a year when good and cheap internet became available. 

Good thing we have a choice not using something if we don’t need to, or use it if we need to. Simpler life included so many inconveniences. For example I hate wasting time shopping in stores… and now I don’t even need to do this. How is this complicated? 🙂 

I loved shopping in stores .I wish I could but I am not able to.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I loved shopping in stores .I wish I could but I am not able to.

People who like to shop in stores still can …

Technology allows me to avoid this. For people who work a lot and wish not to spend time in stores (I’d rather have a picnic by the ocean if I have time) it’s priceless.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tatka said:

People who like to shop in stores still can …

Technology allows me to avoid this. For people who work a lot and wish not to spend time in stores (I’d rather have a picnic by the ocean if I have time) it’s priceless.

I am not writing this for sympathy but just to explain my post.I am totally disabled and in bed 21 hours a day.

On 1/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, smokeybandit said:

For anyone over age 35-40, a flip phone will always be one of these:

image.thumb.png.449ba1b55ea0153d9be9ea4fa8814bf7.png

Actually, my first flip phone was one of these - traded up from my Motorola “brick”

IMG_0333.jpeg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My parents are 82 and 80 and they only have iPhones - no more land line. Age has nothing to do with it. Unwillingness to adapt has everything to do with it.

I wouldn't say unwillingness to adapt; I'd say unwillingness to add one more "thing" that would be used three times a year to do a cruise checkin and nothing else.  Some of us like the big screen of our laptops, and some of us are old enough that we're trying to not accumulate more clutter in our lives.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My parents are 82 and 80 and they only have iPhones - no more land line. Age has nothing to do with it. Unwillingness to adapt has everything to do with it.

My children bought my wife and I new phones when we were 75 ish.

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My children bought my wife and I new phones when we were 75 ish.

Lenny, we still have a landline (3 phones) plus two cell phones. Has nothing to do with our age or unwillingness to adapt. Has everything to do with it personal preferences. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, doghog said:

Lenny, we still have a landline (3 phones) plus two cell phones. Has nothing to do with our age or unwillingness to adapt. Has everything to do with it personal preferences. 

We have a phone on the kitchen wall and several cordless phones in addition to the two I-phones,doghog.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, diesel1973 said:

Nice to know that there are other people not controled by an I-phone!!!

You may not know this but people own phones that are not IPhones (no hyphen needed).  And we love controllinh our electronic devices!!!  If I shut out the world on my cruise in December, I would have missed 4 excursions that were cancelled that I had to pull out a Plan B at the last minute.  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, seeing the sights said:

Hello, We are going to be sailing on Anthem on Feb 25. We don't own smart phones but I am computer literate we have our set sail pass with an arrival time of 10:00AM  My question is can us bommers pull this off with only a flip phone? Can we do our health check online (no app) before we leave the house. We will be bringing a laptop with us on this trip, Can we do the muster drill online or on the cabin tv when we get in our cabin?  Thanks, Joe

just print out everything beforehand.  Go to your muster station and they will do the briefing with you.  

55 minutes ago, doghog said:

I finally gave the landline up about 4 years ago when all the calls were spam calls. It would ring constantly with crap. I had hesitated because I had that number for 40 years. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I wouldn't say unwillingness to adapt; I'd say unwillingness to add one more "thing" that would be used three times a year to do a cruise checkin and nothing else.  Some of us like the big screen of our laptops, and some of us are old enough that we're trying to not accumulate more clutter in our lives.

Amen to that. I was an control room operator at a gas turbine 1100 MW power plant. I had to monitor 12  screens at all times. I used a smart phone when I owned a small business.  But that small screen can't do it as far as unwillingness to adapt maybe?  

As a side note we sailed out of Bayonne through super storm Sandy..........good times!

Edited by seeing the sights
add
  • Like 1

Add me to the list of happy flip phone users.  So many are addicted to their smart phones and are constantly bent over reading/replying to a email or text.  Have you ever been behind someone who is attempting to drive while checking/answering emaits/texts?  Whats so important that you have to immediately read and respond to it while driving?  Most importantly, I dont want to be monitored or tracked by big brother.  Great to hear I can cruise without a smart phone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, footballmp said:

Most importantly, I dont want to be monitored or tracked by big brother.  

Unfortunately, flip phones aren't immune to electronic surveillance. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, footballmp said:

Add me to the list of happy flip phone users.  So many are addicted to their smart phones and are constantly bent over reading/replying to a email or text.  Have you ever been behind someone who is attempting to drive while checking/answering emaits/texts?  Whats so important that you have to immediately read and respond to it while driving?  Most importantly, I dont want to be monitored or tracked by big brother.  Great to hear I can cruise without a smart phone!

Sorry to inform you but you can be monitored using a flip phone. Flip phones may actually be less secure than smartphones as flip phones don't have security features or get security software updates. As far as texting we were doing it with flip phones. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May I suggest checking Amazon for a pre-paid smartphone? I have a ridiculously expensive iPhone and once aboard the ship I power it off and lock it in the safe.

I bought a Verizon Samsung Galaxy A03s a few weeks before the cruise and deleted all the unnecessary junk, installed (using my home WiFi) the Royal app and a few news and sports ones.

During the cruise we use Whats App to communicate with our house sitters and a work colleague, but enjoy a cheap version of an iPhone touch with 32 gig of music from Spotify Pro uploaded in advance. 

It does take part of an afternoon to set the phone up, just select Airplane Mode and it's a small, cheap wonder.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 11.48.54 AM.png

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

zon for a pre-paid smartphone? I have a ridiculously expensive iPhone and once aboard the ship I power it off and lock it in the safe

I have an expensive iPhone too but I don’t do that because it is also my camera, both stills and video. When I started cruising I took an expensive DSLR and a video camera. Later I took pocket cameras when they got better. Now I have a camera, my iPhone which does it all and makes it easy to share photos and videos. I can edit both my photos and videos on the phone. Wheh I figure in the price I used to pay for photography, video and editing equipment the iPhone is a bargain. Try and make memories with a flip phone. No can do. 

My BIL has one of those inexpensive smartphones and all he does is complain about how slow it is and how the photos don’t look as good as the ones I take. 

• Like 1

And then, some of us don't care to take photos or videos, or to be in touch with anyone at home. Our cruises are a chance to disconnect, and my journal (hand written) is what gives us the best memories during later years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And then, some of us don't care to take photos or videos, or to be in touch with anyone at home. Our cruises are a chance to disconnect, and my journal (hand written) is what gives us the best memories during later years.

To each their own. I would be miserable if I disconnected. I also love to keep up on current events. I have been taking photos since I was a teenager so am not going to stop. I do keep a journal but it is now an app on my phone and the journal adds photos that I took. I like things easier and having a smartphone on a cruise to check activities, menus and my folio saves a lot of time. I realize a lot of people have problems with tech in their later years but they should not tout their problems as a good thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

To each their own. I would be miserable if I disconnected. I also love to keep up on current events. I have been taking photos since I was a teenager so am not going to stop. I do keep a journal but it is now an app on my phone and the journal adds photos that I took. I like things easier and having a smartphone on a cruise to check activities, menus and my folio saves a lot of time. I realize a lot of people have problems with tech in their later years but they should not tout their problems as a good thing. 

A lot of people a little over 110 years ago also wouldn't drive cars but look at progress.  A lot of people on here make comments about how they don't use technology yet here they are on cruise critic.  If people don't want to use their phones that's fine.  But give me a break with the Im so much better than you because I don't use my phone on a ship nonsense.  You aren't.  You just choose differently to relax.  None of us tech people make snide comments on how you spend your time on your vacation.

Edited to add I completely agree with your comments.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have an expensive iPhone too but I don’t do that because it is also my camera, both stills and video. When I started cruising I took an expensive DSLR and a video camera...

Charles, I truncated your comment, hopefully I left the context.  

My option was for those that don't want to invest in an expensive phone. I carry the cheap phone with me on sea days and when the weather is bad. I love my iPhone camera, but also carry a Sony 6400 with two lenses, a Nikon 7500 and leave behind a nonsensical collection of cameras at home going back to a Nikon F2 Photomic. OK, I'm old.

I just invested in a full frame Canon mirrorless and these are from the 6400 on the Quantum in June. 

See you at sea!

416121506_10229637151100611_7065949242404911975_n.jpg

416105196_10229637130420094_8885719479975901366_n.jpg

416099900_10229637138220289_8097798420213091971_n.jpg

416114845_10229637137740277_826545403390853561_n.jpg

416102276_10229637131060110_2793639056397980490_n.jpg

416106377_10229637167421019_1760429790637473784_n.jpg

416142633_10229637134660200_6504215327523067447_n.jpg

416093981_10229637164980958_7571147367570063604_n.jpg

416112531_10229637151580623_451697101042917329_n.jpg

416061623_10229637140060335_3000371685337834148_n.jpg

416111631_10229637145020459_2067730756922768342_n.jpg