NCL Jewel Vs HAL Noordam

mncbabu_yahoo

I am planning to book 7 days inside passage cruise for the month of May or June. Based on my budget ($1500; no drink package)  I have down selected these two cruise lines. Both have similar itinerary, port of call. Both itinerary include glacier bay and hubbard glacier.

1. NCL Jewel - North bound (Vancouver to Seward) - May 13 to 20 - Inside cabin (I can pick the cabin)

2. HAL Noordam - Southbound (Whittier to Vancouver) - June 2 to 9 - Outside-obstructed view cabin (guaranteed - Cruise pick the cabin in last minute)

We are couple in early 50s. Please suggest the right one to pick.

Thanks 

I have been on sister ships to both and I would choose Noordam.  I am not a fan of the NCL Jewel Class ships for many reasons.  The only reason I would recommend Jewel over Noordam is if you said you valued entertainment over everything else.  Otherwise, I think HAL is a much nicer experience.  

9 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

similar itinerary, port of call. Both itinerary include glacier bay and hubbard glacier.

You might be interested to read this recent thread about NCL Alaska sailings and there will probably be more if you search the Alaska ports forum to find them..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2984157-which-cruise-line/#comment-66724966

Be aware that if one of your ports is Ketchikan, NCL use Ward Cove which is out of town You will lose time in ketchikan itself travelling to and from.

And are timings shown for Glacier Bay?  Asking as the OP on the thread linked above was having difficulty with NCL timings there which I think is unusual as your ship would usually spend the best part of a day scenic cruising in Glacier Bay and that would show on the itinerary..

Both Princess and HAL have decades of experience in Alaska and are usually recommended..

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you all for the recommendation. NCL website shows that minimum 6 to 8 hours in each port (Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway) and spend each day in Hubbard and GB. I didn't know they dock at different location in Ketchikan; also there is difference in GB "showing" between NCL and HAL/PRINCESS. 

2 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Thank you all for the recommendation. NCL website shows that minimum 6 to 8 hours in each port (Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway) and spend each day in Hubbard and GB. I didn't know they dock at different location in Ketchikan; also there is difference in GB "showing" between NCL and HAL/PRINCESS. 

GB is going to be the same amount of time, regardless of line. There are time slots allocated by the National Park Services.

• Thanks 1

Holland America will dock right in town in both Juneau and Ketchikan.  The Noordam is a nice ship with plenty of inside areas for scenic viewing.  The ship will open the bow in Glacier Bay and will stop in front of the glacier as it turns from port to starboard so everybody gets a good view even from the balconies.   Skagway will be right in town for both cruise lines although HAL usually gets the best locations.

Edited by oaktreerb

8 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Finally booked in Princess Sapphire for May 25th (vancouver to whittier). Will do 4 or 5 days land tour after cruise..

I have done the Sapphire Princess many times in Alaska. It is a great ship and a great itinerary.

22 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

also there is difference in GB "showing" between NCL and HAL/PRINCESS. 

My "American english" isn't always the best so I don't actually know what "showing" means in that context?

And you said

NCL website shows that minimum 6 to 8 hours in each port (Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway) and spend each day in Hubbard and GB.

By checking the individual official "port of9enter name)" websites  you should find ship call/schedules/calendars, and more importantly, their scheduled times in port.( or cruisemapper or any other similar websites although official is usually better)

Best that you do check because otherwise you could find that your ship could dock as early as 0700 or 0800.  (will anything even be open that early and will you be ready to leave the ship at that time?) or it could be a  mid afternoon to late evening call.

I also had a quick look at the HAL itinerary you mentioned on the HAL website, and timings are given for each port, also timings for GB and Hubbard so you might want to check that yourself too.   If NCL isn't giving you timings, what would be the reason for that?

Best you check online for information before you book so that you can make an informed decision. but you have also been recommended to HAL and Princess.  And maybe read reviews of NCL Alaska sailings from last year.

Edited by edinburgher

10 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Finally booked in Princess Sapphire for May 25th (vancouver to whittier). Will do 4 or 5 days land tour after cruise..

I had a senior moment and jumped in with my post  above without reading the most recent posts, one of which was yours saying you have now booked with Princess. Simply ignore my previous post.🙁

On 1/16/2024 at 3:30 PM, mncbabu_yahoo said:

How is HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam for Alaska? Is it recommended as well?

Yes!  I have cruised that ship and I loved it.  It's a slightly larger version of Noordam with a few extra amenities, like the Tamarind specialty restaurant.  It's a beautiful ship.

But I see you went with Princess.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Aquahound

On 1/15/2024 at 9:28 PM, mncbabu_yahoo said:

I am planning to book 7 days inside passage cruise for the month of May or June. Based on my budget ($1500; no drink package)  I have down selected these two cruise lines. Both have similar itinerary, port of call. Both itinerary include glacier bay and hubbard glacier.

1. NCL Jewel - North bound (Vancouver to Seward) - May 13 to 20 - Inside cabin (I can pick the cabin)

2. HAL Noordam - Southbound (Whittier to Vancouver) - June 2 to 9 - Outside-obstructed view cabin (guaranteed - Cruise pick the cabin in last minute)

We are couple in early 50s. Please suggest the right one to pick.

Thanks 

I may be wrong but I think that NCL docks at Ward Cove which is outside of Juneau and you have to take a bus into town which cuts into your useful port time.  If I am correct I would not pick NCL.

DON

47 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I may be wrong but I think that NCL docks at Ward Cove which is outside of Juneau and you have to take a bus into town which cuts into your useful port time.  If I am correct I would not pick NCL.

DON

NCL does indeed dock at Ward Cove, which is located several miles outside of Ketchikan.  For passengers who want to go into Ketchikan a shuttle is provided.  But the amount of time available to spend in Ketchikan is shortened by the time required to board the shuttle and transit to Ketchikan.