Survey: “may we ask you a few questions”

I don’t put all that much stock in subjective comments — negative or positive. I concentrate on objective information in reviews. Here the objective facts include huge charges for specialtiy restaurant's, limited included drinks, and poor coordination of disembarkation. Enough for me. 

We are coming from the reverse. We just got off Explora 1. Loved it. Booked for first time March Spring Break in a GS Regent Grandeur suite to compare. We do not need air, transfers, nor excursions included. Laundry and dry cleaning was included on Explora in the residences which was nice, but what one would expect paying $1500 pppd. The butler was nice and acted like a “genie” getting any reservations and our own table with same waiters in one of the restaurants. Hoping to get the same on Grandeur. Somethings are more important like a walk in shower vs low profile tub/shower combo. Bottled  mineral water is important to us not caviar. We enjoy a 500/ 150 sq ft cabin with lots of storage and a no self service buffet opens us up to another dining venue we never avail ourselves of on land or sea. Rather not use room service reminds us of Covid times when many were confined to quarters. A nice veranda with a cushioned lounger not have to fight with car hogs. Throw in some food and entertainment and we are happy without specialty dining. A chocolate and ice cream bar to use up any OBC and we will be repeat customers. 

• Like 1

Having read @vistaman commentary and becoming upset about our upcoming cruise on Explora for Christmas and New Years, we found none of the problems that had existed when he cruised. Met a proud couple on our cruise that said they were on the inaugural cruise and everything is 180 degree changed. Explora has the best Emporium Marketplace Buffet on the high seas. Absolutely no self service.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, Pcardad said:

I agree. I am probably in the minority in that I regularly sail on many other lines. Sometimes I want a quiet trip and other times I want a floating party.

Which line do you choose for that quiet trip? 😄

On 1/26/2024 at 10:55 PM, CJANDH said:

I would advise that you read the comments/reviews of Explora 1 on the Explora Journies board before making that decision. The one posted here by vistaman is by far the most negative one of all I have read. While not all the reviews are 5 star, they are generally positive, especially about the food and ths service. A common complaint is the size of the bathrooms, but not much else. I am boarding Explora 1 for the first time in March and am expecting a superior experience versus the Christmas cruise I just did on Mariner, which was a major disappointment.

sorry but all the items I wrote was the truth ...

i do not think - meanwhile - the extra  for drinks that occured an extra but free on other luxury lines is waived 

and I do not think the onerous prices for special wines and champagnes decreased 

4 hours ago, vistaman said:

sorry but all the items I wrote was the truth .

I never questioned that you were being truthful. I simply pointed out that your experience seemed to be different from most posters.

6 hours ago, vistaman said:

sorry but all the items I wrote was the truth ...

i do not think - meanwhile - the extra  for drinks that occured an extra but free on other luxury lines is waived 

and I do not think the onerous prices for special wines and champagnes decreased 

I just reread your review.   I tended to agree with many items especially the wine. I called it Faux wine, we had mucho OBC and had a hard time spending it - until I wanted some wine.   I like cognac and what was available as complementary was a joke.

Some of the items they did improve on were the embarkation and disembarkation process (you can pick a time).   I though Emporium was a decent choice for breakfast/lunch (my eggs were properly cooked as requested), but was really lacking for dinner.  We were in a residence so the room service did come with a table cloth and set up for dinner.  We had to ask for fruit daily which again I ask why?? 

I did get a full size bottle of Henricks and one of Balleys, but neither was on the "list" and had to special request them.

I still think Regent is far superior to Explora, especially for a longer cruise.  The fixed menu concept is hard to stomach.  I can generally find complementary wines on Regent and other lines that I like.

• Like 1

Also the fact some 100 travel agents, influencers and journalists were pampered in front of the paying guests   and vast majority were abusing the complimentary Moët  : it WAS disturbing!!

I complained on board : F&B was "busy"   and  gen  manager  was "occupied"  - constantly ??? I told it to the representative and she is aware that i do have a gastro background.  Reply : ashame Explora and you did not match ??

I requested to be contacted after I did the final questionnaire  phone and email added - nothing so far ?? we are 6 months later 

I do not know  how it is now  :  but the only canapés I saw on board during my cruise were served for meetings not to passengers. 

I was in a premier penthouse what cost me a 5 fig  as a single  

For me : in the "luxury" level ???  my most terrible experience  -  this year I am going 3 times to Regent and twice to SS and one Hapag  - every of those does have a weak point i agree 

the complimentary Champagne on Regent  could be better in view of the high fares, lunch buffets on SS not very special and embarkation on Hapag imho far too late . 😁 

• Like 1

Still, my wife and I have yet to receive this survey. And we are well into the Gold level with the SSS. (I doubt that our life expectancy will allow us to reach Platinum.) But yet, we have a substantial history over more than two decades with Regent/Radisson. And we have a recent Regent cruise with two more booked. Just wonder what the criteria is for selection for the survey.

I will be gold on my next cruise this year and cruised twice the last two years.   I’m also 64, don’t know if they only took so many from each age group.  

I would think certain age groups may have different thoughts and needs that they would like to understand.  

• Like 2