Survey: “may we ask you a few questions”

On January 16 we received a Regent survey. The first tranche of questions asked us to rank (1-5, most-least important) how important it was for us for certain items being included in the fare. 

Items included Biz class air, unlimited beverages, laundry included, mini-bar replenishment daily, included gratuities, shore excursions, specialty dining, 24 hour Room Service, etc.

As most if not all items are important for us as being included, we attempted to rank these all either 1 or 2. The follow up question then tried to compel us to select  the 5 most important inclusions in the fare, ranking from 1-5. In our view, the listed items were all “most important”, thus all # 1, but the survey would not permit that answer. We would have to rank some items as less important, even though that is not our view. 

So, we quit the survey. Our impression, however, based on the questions, is that Regent is looking for areas to cut. From our perspective, cutbacks in any of these areas would be a mistake. We like Regent precisely because of the all-inclusive nature of the experience—including Biz class air to Europe, which would, for us, otherwise be unaffordable given air costs nowadays.

We also like the current Regent onboard experience of “No signing”, including no extra charges for specialty dining. In that regard, Silversea is a big turn-off with extra charge specialty dining, considering the high per diem costs.

Does anyone else who received this survey share our concerns? I truly hope we’re wrong, and that cutbacks in these areas are not in the offing. 

• Like 4

We all know they (and every other cruise line) are cutting costs to survive debt refinancing in the current environment. They have admitted as much in SEC filings. We can't really change their minds either aside from giving them some feedback on this survey. I figured I could either give them some info or no info so I filled it out. They will do what they decide to do and I will decide what to do when they make their move....but there is not much that we can do until then. I believe that Regent is concerned about taking the hit for high levels of customer dissatisfaction with airline flights....and increased costs associated with these complaints. I do not think they have decided anything at this point but are simply soliciting feedback with a poorly written survey.

• Like 3

I got the survey and I filled it out. I feel strongly about certain things that Regent does or doesn’t do well  and how important those things are to me. Regent is at the mercy of their suppliers such as airlines, hotels and tour guides but they have some level of responsibility to work with those suppliers (or change suppliers) to deliver the best product possible. I didn’t have a problem prioritizing what was most important to me. For others, the priorities will differ. I hope Regent’s intentions are well placed for these surveys and that they will listen to the feedback. No doubt that they are looking to cut cost because the interest payments on the COVID loans are literally an anchor for their business.  

• Like 2

I haven't received a survey yet but I think Regent is in a tough spot (as I'm sure all cruise lines are, especially the premium and luxury lines) because honestly, once you add a perk, it's virtually impossible to remove it.  Case in point - included laundry - we survived well enough without it, but now we're so used to it I'd raise holy hell if they quit it.  🙂

I'm with ON Cruiser - we chose Regent initially due to the all-inclusive nature of the product.  I think rolling back from that would be a huge problem.  I know there are a few people who would like to be able to opt out of excursions or alcohol or whatever, but the bottom line is that whatever perks you remove will piss someone off.

• Like 9

I also received and completed the survey.  I agree with Pcardad, they have to cut somewhere to survive and by looking at the responses they will get some ideas.  I found the survey pretty typical from a business wanting to know where their customer priorities are. 

• Like 1

I'm also with Regent because of the all inclusive nature of the product. We left Celebrity because of a decline in value, hopefully we don't see the same with Regent. If they must cut (and I don't really see why, given the increase in fares), I hope they don't touch the onboard product in visible ways. From my perspective the air, pre-cruise hotels, transfers, etc. would be the first to go. Then excursions if absolutely necessary. If they cut beyond that they will definitely lose us.

• Like 4

I wasn't able to finish it.  I marked the first six items, ranking from 1 to 5, but then it just froze.  I have tried a couple of days in a row to reenter the survey and have the same problem.  I'd love to be able to complete the survey, but at this point I don't know what to do.  Suggestions? 

I understand it is happening across all cruise lines. At some point, non cruise alternatives become better choices. The offerings aren't the only factor. Many cruise ports are being overwhelmed by the larger number of ships with more and more passengers. Land based vacations allow for more shoulder season traveling when cruises are less frequent. This doesn't work everywhere of course.

In fact, with all due respect, cutbacks are not universal amongst all luxury lines. There are several new entrants, very well capitalized, who offer competition for the established players in this niche.

I am thinking of Ritz, and especially of Explora Journey, a subsidiary of a highly successful shipping line (and related to MSC). If Regent starts cutting in ever more noticeable ways, we will certainly explore Explora (sorry for my cheap pun) and others.

We much enjoyed our recent Mariner cruise last November-December.  Yet considering the price paid, I could not cost-justify accepting less for the same, or worse, less for more. Cheapening the product in noticeable ways (cutting back on better brands of liquor, surcharges for what was previously included, etc.) can have unintended consequences.

After all, most in business know that there are serious risks when trying to “shrink one’s way to greatness”. 

• Like 1

Interesting, and thanks for the link; other than the first reviewer who was surprised that families with children were on board at new years (!), the reviews were generally positive. As experience is gained and “tweaks” are made, they (Explora) could be genuine competition (along with other new and established luxury lines). 

In my view, competition is a good thing—it usually compels everyone to up their game. Here’s hoping for that, rather than cutbacks! 

2 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

Interesting, and thanks for the link; other than the first reviewer who was surprised that families with children were on board at new years (!), the reviews were generally positive. As experience is gained and “tweaks” are made, they (Explora) could be genuine competition (along with other new and established luxury lines). 

In my view, competition is a good thing—it usually compels everyone to up their game. Here’s hoping for that, rather than cutbacks! 

I agree. I am probably in the minority in that I regularly sail on many other lines. Sometimes I want a quiet trip and other times I want a floating party.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

As experience is gained and “tweaks” are made, they (Explora) could be genuine competition (along with other new and established luxury lines). 

It is interesting though that Explora Voyages is NOT all inclusive in the way RSS is. They do not include air, pre-hotels, transfers or free (included) shore excursions. They focus entirely on the on-board experience. Maybe that is why RSS is trying to decide the competitive advantage of including all they do.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I agree. I am probably in the minority in that I regularly sail on many other lines. Sometimes I want a quiet trip and other times I want a floating party.

And I'm a little different than you in that I like the comfort of sailing with Regent.  True, it may keep me from finding a line I like better, but I researched the beejeebers out of cruises before we settled on Regent and their product has been a great fit for us since 2009 - hence our repeat business.

I think if it ever got to the point that Regent prices cruises our of our comfort zone we'll look into other types of vacations; I don't see us cruising on other lines, to be honest.  We've always said we'd rather cruise less often on Regent than more often on someone else.  That may put US in the minority, but so be it.

But Regent needs to be careful - too much cost-cutting will drive us (and others, I'm sure) to alternative vacations...

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

It is interesting though that Explora Voyages is NOT all inclusive in the way RSS is. They do not include air, pre-hotels, transfers or free (included) shore excursions. They focus entirely on the on-board experience. Maybe that is why RSS is trying to decide the competitive advantage of including all they do.

I haven't looked too deeply into Explora yet, but I did take a peek at some Ritz itineraries, and yowza!  They're proud of their product.  Yeah, it looks nice.  But...yowza.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

And I'm a little different than you in that I like the comfort of sailing with Regent.  True, it may keep me from finding a line I like better, but I researched the beejeebers out of cruises before we settled on Regent and their product has been a great fit for us since 2009 - hence our repeat business.

I think if it ever got to the point that Regent prices cruises our of our comfort zone we'll look into other types of vacations; I don't see us cruising on other lines, to be honest.  We've always said we'd rather cruise less often on Regent than more often on someone else.  That may put US in the minority, but so be it.

But Regent needs to be careful - too much cost-cutting will drive us (and others, I'm sure) to alternative vacations...

I'll throw this out there for laughs...how many Titanium Regent clients will be on this with us this year?

https://welcometojamrockreggaecruise.com/

Edited by Pcardad
  • Haha 1

SORRY I AM USING CAPS; WRITING WITH MY LEFT HAND, RIGHT HAND ON A CAST.  I AGREE THE SURVEY WAS NOT EFFECTIVELY WRITTEN.  I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED TO LET THEM KNOW WHAT I WOULD SACRIFICE AND STILL CRUISE ON REGENT.  RESULTS WOULD BE VERY TRANSPARENT AND PRODUCTIVE.

18 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

So, we quit the survey. Our impression, however, based on the questions, is that Regent is looking for areas to cut.

Did the same thing.  I'm not giving them ideas to cut.  If they want that, they can pay my consulting rate.

• Like 2

I did complete the survey.   I’m ok with out the airfare and transfers - we never use them.  Now,  if I need to sign a bar tab,  I will be very unhappy.   The excursions,  I’m mixed  about -  I do like them included, but they really need to do a better job with many of them.  

Now, if Regent wants to hire me to research the excursions,  please reach out!  

• Like 2