Wonder of the Seas - adding 4th person to room that would sleep on sofa

Hello!

I hope someone can provide their opinion on this to know if it is feasible.

I currently have 2 connecting interior Central Park view cabins booked on Wonder of the Seas.  Both are listed as 2S (199 square feet).  One room sleeps 2 people  and I have 2 people (parents) in that room.  The other sleeps up to 4 and I currently have 3 people (high school/college age kids) in that room.  I called and RC told me the the 4 person room has the 2 twin beds and a double sleeper dofa. So another child has now decided on coming on the cruise.  2 siblings obviously don't want to share a double sized pull out sofa so I am trying to figure out how to accomodate this extra sibling.

So I am wondering if I can add the extra sibling to the 4 person room (on the reservation) but have them sleep on the sofa in our room (2 person room).  I assume since the room only sleeps 2, it is not a pull out sofa and I would have to bring sheets and blanket, etc. From pictures it is hard to tell how big the sofa is, but I think it looks long enough to sleep a small adult.

When I look at pictures online, the 4 person and 2 person rooms look the same size (199 square feet), both have sofas (?) but why wouldn't they just make all the rooms sleep 4 people by putting a sleeper sofa in each room? 

Am I missing something?  Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't do this?  

Thank you!!

If you're able to add the extra person, they can sleep in whichever room they please.  Hopefully, all of the spots/seats for the lifeboats for that particular muster zone aren't full.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lbrain123 said:

So I am wondering if I can add the extra sibling to the 4 person room (on the reservation) but have them sleep on the sofa in our room (2 person room).  I assume since the room only sleeps 2, it is not a pull out sofa and I would have to bring sheets and blanket, etc. From pictures it is hard to tell how big the sofa is, but I think it looks long enough to sleep a small adult.

When I look at pictures online, the 4 person and 2 person rooms look the same size (199 square feet), both have sofas (?) but why wouldn't they just make all the rooms sleep 4 people by putting a sleeper sofa in each room? 

Thank you!!

I have read about people bringing a small air mattress, if that sibling wants to stay in the room with the other teens. A tight fit, but doable. The couches are super hard and a bit snug for sleeping, IMO, but I'm no longer a teenager! I also think that you could probably get extra bedding from your cabin attendant. We had a QR code in our cabin on Allure last year and you could request an extra pillow and an extra blanket, so that seems doable. 

ALSO, some of the sofa beds are more like trundle beds, with an upper place and a lower place to sleep. I "wonder" if there is a way to determine if you have that type of sofa bed rather than the traditional pull out double.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

If you're able to add the extra person, they can sleep in whichever room they please.  Hopefully, all of the spots/seats for the lifeboats for that particular muster zone aren't full.

This. Just because the room can technically sleep 4, doesn't mean there is space. Space is determined by muster zone. Before you get too concerned with who's sleeping where, you should confirm that there is actually space for them. And if there is, book it (even if you end up removing them later), as it could disappear at any time.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, soremekun said:

This scenario still puzzles me. Why would the deck plan be designed in a way where you have more available beds than what the lifeboats can hold? It would seem more logical to set up the deck plan so that when all rooms are full, all the lifeboat space is full. Instead they have to rely on the booking system to monitor passenger counts per muster station to determine the cutoff point.

I suppose having more rooms which accommodate larger parties available with the expectation there will be single travelers or less passengers than capacity in others allows them to fill the ship more reliably, but it does create this scenario where parties with higher occupancy rooms can't add additional passengers closer to the sailing date if lifeboat capacity is reached.

17 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

This scenario still puzzles me. Why would the deck plan be designed in a way where you have more available beds than what the lifeboats can hold? It would seem more logical to set up the deck plan so that when all rooms are full, all the lifeboat space is full. Instead they have to rely on the booking system to monitor passenger counts per muster station to determine the cutoff point.

I suppose having more rooms which accommodate larger parties available with the expectation there will be single travelers or less passengers than capacity in others allows them to fill the ship more reliably, but it does create this scenario where parties with higher occupancy rooms can't add additional passengers closer to the sailing date if lifeboat capacity is reached.

Interesting that in the same thread your post seems to advocate for less flexibility (only as many berths as life boat spaces, while the OP (see quote below), who is actively trying to book,  wishes there were more flexibility (extra sofa berths in every cabin). 

People should try to book all the passengers from the get-go.  They should not count on adding more passengers to their reservations later.  If the situation arises later unexpectedly, they may be able to add the guest if they are lucky; they may not if they are unlucky.  Just like if somebody later wanted to book another cabin to join on your cruise…it may or may not be available.

On 1/19/2024 at 2:44 PM, Lbrain123 said:

why wouldn't they just make all the rooms sleep 4 people by putting a sleeper sofa in each room

20 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Very simple IMO.

Let's say the lifeboat holds space for 100 passengers.  That either gives you 50 cabins with 2 people in them or 25 cabins with four in them.  So they outfit the ship with 25 cabins that can hold four people.  

But, not every one of those cabins will be filled.  So let's say 20 people take 10 of the cabins, 5 people take 5 cabins, 15 people take 5 cabins and 20 people take 5 cabins.  So, 25 cabins, but only 60 people.  Leaves a lot of extra space on the life boat.  

So the rooms are all taken, but lifeboat space isn't.  This allows flexibility if someone wants to add a person after booking.  

I'm sure Royal has math that shows how many berths will be empty.  They want to get as many people on board as they can.

Eh, it makes sense in my head. 😛

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

22 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

On a ship where double occupancy is 5000 guests band max occupancy is 6000 guests there may actually be enough berths for 7000 passengers.  A long time ago I went through and counted actual berths for one of the classes but I don't have the actual numbers anymore so this is just an approximation.

This allows guests more flexibility with being able to book rooms that hold more than 2 guests but occasionally it happens that more people than usual all book quad cabins in one zone which does then put limits on other cabins in that same zone with regards to life boat capacity

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:44 PM, Lbrain123 said:

Hello!

I hope someone can provide their opinion on this to know if it is feasible.

I currently have 2 connecting interior Central Park view cabins booked on Wonder of the Seas.  Both are listed as 2S (199 square feet).  One room sleeps 2 people  and I have 2 people (parents) in that room.  The other sleeps up to 4 and I currently have 3 people (high school/college age kids) in that room.  I called and RC told me the the 4 person room has the 2 twin beds and a double sleeper dofa. So another child has now decided on coming on the cruise.  2 siblings obviously don't want to share a double sized pull out sofa so I am trying to figure out how to accomodate this extra sibling.

Thank you!!

that sounds very unpleasant.  I travel solo and These rooms are too small.   I normally book at least a junior suite just for myself and have at least some comfort.  You just have to be assigned to a room.    You can sleep anywhere you want.    they have a really nice two bedroom owners suite I’ve stayed there and in the one bedroom suite and these do have a bit more space you can see my videos on YouTube.   another disadvantage to your scenario I just realized is that every time you add or delete someone the reservation gets reprised so that can either get less money or more money per person a lot of times it’s better just to book a new room with whoever wants to come.

Edited by ericfromri
  • Haha 1

As someone else stated, book the person now (if there is lifeboat capacity) and worry about where the 4th person sleeps after (s)he is booked. It doesn't matter where that person ends up sleeping and no one will care. You do not need to bring bedding from home, other than maybe an air mattress. Wherever that 4th person ends up sleeping, the room steward will provide whatever bedding you need, whether it's in the 4-person room or the 2-person room.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

16 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Very simple IMO.

Let's say the lifeboat holds space for 100 passengers.  That either gives you 50 cabins with 2 people in them or 25 cabins with four in them.  So they outfit the ship with 25 cabins that can hold four people.  

But, not every one of those cabins will be filled.  So let's say 20 people take 10 of the cabins, 5 people take 5 cabins, 15 people take 5 cabins and 20 people take 5 cabins.  So, 25 cabins, but only 60 people.  Leaves a lot of extra space on the life boat.  

So the rooms are all taken, but lifeboat space isn't.  This allows flexibility if someone wants to add a person after booking.  

I'm sure Royal has math that shows how many berths will be empty.  They want to get as many people on board as they can.

Eh, it makes sense in my head. 😛

Absolutely. And sometimes the algorithm they use is imperfect (typically kid-heavy weeks) and there is no more room for extra guests last minute. 

As suggested, the simplest solution is to plan in advance and know who you are traveling with. 

• Like 1