Is a cabana rental worth it for Glacier Bay on an Alaska cruise?

I am heading to Alaska May 2024 on the Koningsdam, with a stop at Glacier Bay. I know you can see the views from all over the ship but I was wondering if a cabana rental would be worth it. I am thinking a covered, sheltered area up high with a lounge may be a good thing. Can I get some opinions on whether this is a worthwhile purchase or should I give it a pass?

Very much depends upon the weather and what you expect to get from your cabana experience.

Having two cabana attendants to bring you your lunch and beverages is lovely, but on port days you won't be challenged for space in the Lido and on sea days the wind and weather might be against you.

Having some relatively private deck space in Glacier Bay is nice--but you can get somewhat better views up on 14.

We had one in June last year--and we certainly made use of it (as did a handful of others).  For privacy it can't be beat--and you certainly won't be overrun in the Retreat.  But you won't be warm, either.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, TryinCruisin said:

I am heading to Alaska May 2024 on the Koningsdam, with a stop at Glacier Bay. I know you can see the views from all over the ship but I was wondering if a cabana rental would be worth it. I am thinking a covered, sheltered area up high with a lounge may be a good thing. Can I get some opinions on whether this is a worthwhile purchase or should I give it a pass?

No.

• Like 6

We cruise AK each May and have not considered a cabana - weather is unpredictable 🤔 You can have sun, rain and winds all in a single day, especially going through GNP. So you may spend very little time using the cabana. 

We use our balcony, the bow (when it's open), Sea View pool area and Crow's Nest to maximize viewing time for GNP and all sea days in AK.

It will be great no matter your cabana decision. 

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

20230501_085603.thumb.jpg.6afee9957b1cf6bfc28fadf3b4d49c8c.jpg

20230502_101820.thumb.jpg.1c97ac1aaf00fdfde04d85e039d99814.jpg

20230502_113520.thumb.jpg.96c6ad17026262bf7b84873d994acaf6.jpg

20230502_115751.thumb.jpg.152eaeed1d710fbb655d7a839f28167e.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Spend the money on a great shore excursions instead.  Or the Thermal Spa - some great views  can be had from that location too, and you are warm and comfortable at the same time. 

• Like 1

Your cabana will be a tiny space, and on glacier day you are going to want to move around, get views that are more than just one direction... and for the rest of the cruise the cabana will really have no value - it's usually much too chilly when the ship is underway.  If you think you will want to be outdoors all day on glacier day, you will probably feel very confined by your cabana - the views are in all directions and so awesome, you won't be wanting to sit down on a sunbed chair. 

• Like 2

For this trip I would recommend a veranda cabin  not a a cabana.  On our trip we would not have used a cabana at all. In May it is likely that it will be way too cold or windy to be in a cabana.   The bow is opened in Glacier Bay so we went there or to the rear of the ship to see Glacier Bay. When we were too cold we went up to the Crow's nest (along with everyone else it seemed).  If it is warm out you will be fine seeing everything at the bow or by the Seaview pool area.   Also the promenade deck is another location to see everything.  For a lot of Glacier Bay we stayed in our room and went in and out of our veranda- remember it takes hours to do the entire bay.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I am on the May 25 cruise from Vancouver.  Is that the one you are on?  Having lived in AK for well over 20 years, and been to Glacier Bay several times, it might be a gamble.  It can be cold, but dress warmly and bring a blanket, or maybe they have them there and enjoy.  The glacier makes it's own weather.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Spend the money on a great shore excursions instead.  Or the Thermal Spa - some great views  can be had from that location too, and you are warm and comfortable at the same time. 

There is something almost decadent about lying on a heated lounger and watching snow-covered mountains go by. (Thank you, @RuthC for that tip!)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 4

Welp, it sounds like a Cabana is not worth it. Good to know! Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I will save my money for other fun things. 

OlsSalt, I never even considered the thermal spa, I am assuming there is a lovely window in there. Thanks for the suggestion; will check it out. 

The beauty about seeing Alaska is FEELING Alaska!  You WANT to be moving around the ship all day, every day.  It's not about staying in your cabin, or in a cabana, and hopefully not parked in the Crow's Nest!  Get outside, take your binoculars, and see the beautiful sites or you will surely miss what you paid for!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TryinCruisin said:

Welp, it sounds like a Cabana is not worth it. Good to know! Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I will save my money for other fun things. 

OlsSalt, I never even considered the thermal spa, I am assuming there is a lovely window in there. Thanks for the suggestion; will check it out. 

Some of my views this month while enjoying Thermal Spa on K'dam.

20231231_130058.thumb.jpg.e349e721aeb100d5120203551dd6a40e.jpg

20231225_133814.thumb.jpg.64ebb51b151ee2777aa4998f4fe47536.jpg

20231225_191925.thumb.jpg.504458f67c1402bdb9a3f0fa6c7ec92f.jpg

Equally relaxing with 🧊 floating by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our first HAL cruise was the inner passage of Alaska, including a day of scenic cruising Glacier Bay. Although it was early in the season, we were blessed with unseasonably warm temperatures. So, while the winds did whip around, it wasn't at all uncomfortable to be outdoors. I remember spending a lot of time along the railings at the aft by the seaview pool. At one point we heard a thunderous roar and got to see an iceberg calve off the glacier. It was thrilling. I suspect that we might have missed it if we were anchored to our verandah or sheltering in a cabana.

• Like 2

Thanks those that sent the pics! This will be my first cruise (May 4 - 11).  The view from the Thermal spa looks amazing. I assume it will be pretty chilly out at Glacier Bay. Will bring some good outside clothes to prowl around the outside decks. But if its really chilly I will spend half the day in the Thermal spa. Thanks for the advice. Definately catching the cruising bug reading these boards and looking at the pics

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TryinCruisin said:

Thanks those that sent the pics! This will be my first cruise (May 4 - 11).  The view from the Thermal spa looks amazing. I assume it will be pretty chilly out at Glacier Bay. Will bring some good outside clothes to prowl around the outside decks. But if its really chilly I will spend half the day in the Thermal spa. Thanks for the advice. Definately catching the cruising bug reading these boards and looking at the pics

So thrilled for you - first cruise and first time AK - that's a great way to start your cruising "career."

On Glacier Bay day, crew will be handing out hot cups of Dutch Pea Soup - be sure you grab a cup (or 2). 

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.0756ca3e6a8af2d023c6b74500c0b974.jpg

Here's a couple shots of Glacier Bay as seen from the Crow's Nest May 2 last year - enjoy!!

20230502_101617.thumb.jpg.a015da13a8f4d8e223a2e023426264f2.jpg

20230502_105610.thumb.jpg.4ec6ce4f17f805cbd811bbac7aba113b.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Remove duplicate pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

So thrilled for you - first cruise and first time AK - that's a great way to start your cruising "career."

On Glacier Bay day, crew will be handing out hot cups of Dutch Pea Soup - be sure you grab a cup (or 2). 

Here's a couple shots of Glacier Bay as seen from the Crow's Nest May 2 last year - enjoy!!

20230502_101617.thumb.jpg.a015da13a8f4d8e223a2e023426264f2.jpg

20230502_105610.thumb.jpg.4ec6ce4f17f805cbd811bbac7aba113b.jpg

The pics of the glacier look so close! I thought the boat would be farther away. Do you have a kick ass zoom lens on your camera or were you that close?

1 hour ago, TryinCruisin said:

The pics of the glacier look so close! I thought the boat would be farther away. Do you have a kick ass zoom lens on your camera or were you that close?

Definitely not a great zoom - it's my phone Samsung Galaxy Note9, zoomed probably on 5 out of 10. The pictures are too fuzzy when I zoom too much.👀

You are really close, though. It's pretty awesome. Captain will very slowly spin so all sides are able to see at some point. Never gets old 😊

• Like 1