Table for 2

lawk

6 minutes ago, lawk said:

First time considering Holland America - can I get a table for 2 for dinner every evening?

Yes, at both the set times and for anytime. We always do table for 2.

Edited by jljcruise
  • Like 2

In the MDR, if you have fixed seating, you can request that, but they might not be available, in which case you could switch to anytime dining.  With anytime dining, there are some different things you can do:

1. Get to the MDR as soon as it opens
  2. If you are in a suite or have club orange, you will almost certainly get one
  3. Make reservations once you get on the ship, but you are likely to get very early or very late times
  4. Wait in line for a table for 2, but the wait might be a while

Of course for the specialty restaurants, you should have no problem reserving a table for two.

• Thanks 1

short answer:  yes.

long answer:  how flexible are you about dining times?  how much wait time are you prepared to spend?  If you are dining quite late you should have no problem securing a two-top, even without a reservation, but at earlier times it can get very busy as these are the tables that are most in demand.  If they are all occupied at 5:30 to 5:45, none of them are going to open up for at least an hour (longer on Gala™ nights, perhaps).

Reservations through the Navigator App are the best strategy, so long as you're not picky about time.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

short answer:  yes.

long answer:  how flexible are you about dining times?  how much wait time are you prepared to spend?  If you are dining quite late you should have no problem securing a two-top, even without a reservation, but at earlier times it can get very busy as these are the tables that are most in demand.  If they are all occupied at 5:30 to 5:45, none of them are going to open up for at least an hour (longer on Gala™ nights, perhaps).

Reservations through the Navigator App are the best strategy, so long as you're not picky about time.

5 cruises on 3 different ships on HA. Never had to wait more than 5 min for a table for 2 with anytime dining. We usually go to the dining room around 7:30.

• Like 2

Often for late-fixed dining, which is a less impacted time slot, they will sit only two people at a table set up for four and take away the two extra place settings.

This opens up nice possibilities for window seats on some ships. Particularly welcome when sailing into Lands of the Midnight Sun.

3 hours ago, lawk said:

First time considering Holland America - can I get a table for 2 for dinner every evening?

That's the way we roll also....table for 2, fixed sitting...same great waiters every night...same table...same time..never a problem.......Just make sure to request it with your TA when you book. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, boatmad said:

Have always had table for 2 for fixed late dining.  Never have had any difficulty getting that.

I always do fix dining and ask for a table for 2. So far no problem

4 hours ago, visagrunt said:

You can make anytime dining reservations through the Navigator app?  How do you do that?

• Like 1

When we were on the Zaadam we have the same table for 2 for 17 days with open dining.  The only problem with the table was some other tables for 2 were about 1 1/2 feet apart or so apart from our table so it was a table for 2 but didn’t feel like it.   When we were on the Rotterdam last Nov we have open dining again and was able to get a different table for 2 each night for the entire 9 days.  Most of the tables were tables for 4 they turned into a table for 2.

• Like 1

I always ask my travel agent to book MDR times before we leave home (most often at time of booking the cruise). Usually My Time. I do not book tables for two as we want to meet new people. We try for a total of 6 or 8 people, tops. On our recent RCL transatlantic, we had met up with another couple precruise so dined with them most nights. Although we had booked My Time, it was the same time (6:45) every night at the same table with the same servers. Of the fifteen nights, we ate there twelve times.

On our Rotterdam cruise, we were traveling with cousins but had My Time dining at a table for 6 so two others joined us. Same table and servers every night we ate in the MDR. Four nights of eleven  we ate in specialty spots.

13 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I always ask my travel agent to book MDR times before we leave home (most often at time of booking the cruise). Usually My Time. I do not book tables for two as we want to meet new people. We try for a total of 6 or 8 people, tops. On our recent RCL transatlantic, we had met up with another couple precruise so dined with them most nights. Although we had booked My Time, it was the same time (6:45) every night at the same table with the same servers. Of the fifteen nights, we ate there twelve times.

On our Rotterdam cruise, we were traveling with cousins but had My Time dining at a table for 6 so two others joined us. Same table and servers every night we ate in the MDR. Four nights of eleven  we ate in specialty spots.

What is “My Time”? That’s a term I haven’t heard before.

56 minutes ago, Jacqueet said:

Anytime dining aka open seating - not Fixed dining.

1 hour ago, Jacqueet said:

Hi, Jacqueet,

"kazu" answered the question before i could. I use the terms "My Time Dining" or "Any Time Dining" interchangeably to signify that my wife and/or I are dining at a time we want rather than what the cruise ship specifies ("Early" or "Late"). It is only used in relationship to any Main Dining Room location, not the Buffet or Specialty Dining venues. i hope that helps.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1