Alaska Advice

We are doing a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward in September , it seems all places we stop offer whale watching as we will only be doing it once any ideas which port would be best , (i understand not guaranteed to see any)

1.Juneau

2.icy strait point

3.sitka

4.skagway

5.seward

Cheers from the UK

Edited by chmusar
spelling

38 minutes ago, chmusar said:

We are doing a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward in September , it seems all places we stop offer whale watching as we will only be doing it once any ideas which port would be best , (i understand not guaranteed to see any)

1.Juneau

2.icy strait point

3.sitka

4.skagway

5.seward

Cheers from the UK

On two different cruises we went whale watching in Juneau and Icy Strait.

In Juneau we took a bus 15-30 minutes from the cruise port, to where we then got on a 2 level boat for the excursion. We saw many whales.

In Icy Strait we got off the ship and immediately onto a boat a couple steps away. We also saw many whales and some bears on the beach.  The boat we were on held 20-30 people compared to the one in Juneau which held 50.  In Icy Strait our tour was combined with the zip line at a discounted price. You can do the whale watching on its own. 

When we went both tours had some refund if you did not see whales. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

Juneau or ISP are hands-down your best options - pick whichever of the two you don't have other plans for in port - as both of these will have guaranteed sightings. If you book a big cruiseline excursion, they'll hand you a crisp $100 bill after the trip if there are no whales sighted - smaller companies might give you free rides instead. But it really doesn't matter as nobody has claimed a guarantee offer since whalewatching trips began!!!

Since you're northbound, you also have Vancouver trips available precruise - while not quite 100% (most companies claim 95%+, and all offer free trips for life until you do see some), we are by far the most likely port to see Orca from on a whalewatch in September. These days the local companies don't specifically target the local Orca pods, to avoid disturbing them constantly, but you still have a good chance of seeing them as well as the visiting Grays & Humpbacks as September sees our local Coho & Chum salmon runs begin (if you're planning next year rather than this, also Pinks which return in odd-numbered years here) as those are the main food source for our Southern Resident pods.

• Like 2

What are you plans after the cruise? Will you be spending any time in Seward? We've been to Alaska twice (5 years apart) and did a tour with Kenai Fjords Tours both times. We did the same tour twice because it was so good the first time. The tour was the 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Parks Tour. We saw A LOT of whales and also got to see glaciers and other gorgeous views within Kenai Fjords National Park.

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

This is about 5 humpback whales munching on a school of herring.

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

On two different cruises we went whale watching in Juneau and Icy Strait.

In Juneau we took a bus 15-30 minutes from the cruise port, to where we then got on a 2 level boat for the excursion. We saw many whales.

In Icy Strait we got off the ship and immediately onto a boat a couple steps away. We also saw many whales and some bears on the beach.  The boat we were on held 20-30 people compared to the one in Juneau which held 50.  In Icy Strait our tour was combined with the zip line at a discounted price. You can do the whale watching on its own. 

When we went both tours had some refund if you did not see whales. 

thanks for the info did you use the cruise companies tour or independently

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

What are you plans after the cruise? Will you be spending any time in Seward? We've been to Alaska twice (5 years apart) and did a tour with Kenai Fjords Tours both times. We did the same tour twice because it was so good the first time. The tour was the 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Parks Tour. We saw A LOT of whales and also got to see glaciers and other gorgeous views within Kenai Fjords National Park.

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

thanks we are doing a B2B Seward to Vancouver so your suggestion is a possibility

Haven't been to Icy Point Strait, but can confirm that Juneau is a great place to go whale watching.  We saw several whales this past summer, including calves (amongst other wildlife).  I highly recommend a tour that combines the whale watching with Mendenhall Glacier, and if you do that tour you should take the easy "hike" (on flat land on a mostly paved path) out to Nugget Falls.  It's quite impressive!  I can't remember if we're allowed to mention specific tour companies on here, but if you're looking to WATCH WHALES in JUNEAU you should be able to easily find the company we used (booked separate from the cruise line).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chmusar said:

thanks for the info did you use the cruise companies tour or independently

Your welcome. We booked through the cruise line for both.  

I did it in Juneau and had an absolute marvelous time and saw so many whales.  However, if I were to be on your itinerary I'd probably do it a ISP.  ISP has very little to do in port where there are a lot more options in Juneau.  

• Like 2

`If you have time before the cruise, last August, we did the Prince of Whales tour, in Vancouver, and we saw a lot of whales. We were lucky, as a baby seemed to want to just hang around our ship, so others stayed right near the boat. The captain had to cut the engines for a while while we just drifted in the middle, until he was sure they had left the area. Many other boats flocked to our area, as we waited. Here is a link to the included pictures they sent us after the trip.

• Like 1

We did back to back on Radiance this past July. Did whale watching in Juneau and Icy Strait. Both have the potential to be phenomenal. 

We saw a large pod(15+) of hump backs do bubble net feeding Juneau for about a hour. Saw a pod of orcas with young calves in Icy Strait.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Like 1

We went whale watching in Juneau last summer, also with the company that provides money back if you don't see a whale. We saw so many whales and several up close. It was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had.

• Like 1

We did our first Alaska cruise last September and by far the best experience we had with the whales was in Icy Strait Point. I am not kidding when I say everywhere we looked there were whales. It was by far the coolest experience and for it to be our first Alaska cruise it made it that much better! The excursion we took in Icy Strait Point wasn't even a whale watching tour, the whales were literally just following us and feet away from us! The tour guides even said it wasn't common for the whales to do be doing that, especially since it was the end of September, they were just as shocked as we all were. I can only hope you can experience what we experienced!! 🙂 

• Like 2

If I had to choose just one port for whales, it would be Icy Strait.  We’ve done many in Juneau as well but ISP is special when it comes to whales.  We used independent operators the three times we’ve been to ISP.

As already mentioned, the Kenai Fjord cruises are fabulous when in Seward.  There are two tour operators, Major Marine and the other previously mentioned.  

Edited by paylady
  • Like 1

thanks for all the comments have booked the main ones whale watching in icy point with "Icy Strait Whale Adventures" and Kenai Tour with  "Major Marine" 

can't wait 😀

Edited by chmusar
spelling
  • Like 3