Regal Princess, first day Concerto Dining Room

beshears

I'm not for sure, and that is why I am asking. I know in the many cruises that I have done in the past, when we first get on the ship and go eat, we go to the buffet area. I thought I read some place that instead of doing this, we were to go to the Concerto Dining Room. If you know one way or another, please let me know.

When boarding lunch will be offered in one of the DRs from noon to 1:30. It is usually in the deck 6 mid ship DR which on the Regal is the Concerto DR. You have many choices for lunch. The DR is just one of them. There is the buffet, pizza or the grill on the Lido deck, the International Cafe on deck 5. It's really your choice. Do what you like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nini said:

Just ask which dining room is open for lunch. Staff really does not want you to know, but one of them is open.

Considering that it is printed in the daily events listing (formerly the Patter) I think it is more a factor that most staff that don't report to the Manager of Restaurant Operations have no idea not that it is a secret.  Of course you still have the buffet and other much more casual venues open but we personally like starting the cruise with a lovely, calm, and usually very good lunch in the main dining room.

First day lunch is always one of my favorite meals.  Avocado with bay shrimp appetizer, either ravioli or roast beef main and orange souffle for dessert!  I was on the Regal two months ago and they were definitely open the first day.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notatubaplayer said:

First day lunch is always one of my favorite meals.  Avocado with bay shrimp appetizer, either ravioli or roast beef main and orange souffle for dessert!  I was on the Regal two months ago and they were definitely open the first day.  Enjoy!

That sounds excellent. And @capriccio is correct to suggest looking at the Patter. If you can not get into your cabin yet, I suppose you could ask for a copy at Guest Services.

We were on the Regal a week ago, and embarkation-day lunch (as well as sea-day breakfast/lunch and disembarkation breakfast) was in the Allegro. 

If you forget the name or it changes, just look for the dining room with the crowd gathering outside the door. 😁

Thank you ALL for your input on my question. Yes I believe the 8 of us would really like going to the MDR (which ever one, although the Concerto is in the middle of the ship on deck 6) on our first day on the ship, instead of the buffet, which we can do any time. My only reservation is, will we be on the ship before it closes at 1:30. I guess if we are not, then we will have to go to the buffet or Allegros, or some place else.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:03 PM, beshears said:

Thank you ALL for your input on my question. Yes I believe the 8 of us would really like going to the MDR (which ever one, although the Concerto is in the middle of the ship on deck 6) on our first day on the ship, instead of the buffet, which we can do any time. My only reservation is, will we be on the ship before it closes at 1:30. I guess if we are not, then we will have to go to the buffet or Allegros, or some place else.

If you're not there in time for MDR lunch, Allegro will be closed as well, since it's an MDR (it's the only one that has been used for lunch at least for the past few cruises).

OK, guess we'll just have to WAIT and see what time we get on the ship, and it it is after that time, we'll just have to LOOK for another place. 🙂  I was just looking forward to checking out one of their dining rooms for the first time, but it may not happen.

They don't advertise embarkation lunch, because they don't want thousands of ravenous people swamping the MDR and filling it with luggage, which only has minimal staff and seating. A lot of people are like me and go overboard with eating the first day, because it's free, so they try to steer people to the buffet, where they can indulge all they want and camp out with bags until their rooms are ready. It's the same menu on every ship, with just basic stuff like salmon that you'll get at dinner or other MDR lunches, so if you're on at 11:30 you might not want to wait until noon and wait for food, especially since they cram you into 2-tops with a foot between the tables on each side of you, which is awkward and uncomfortable for people like me who want space and privacy while dining. Also, Princess now evidently has only a single lunch menu for all sea days, so you might find more variety in the buffet anyway. If it's crowded, I bring a plastic tray in my suitcase and take food outside somewhere, or even to my cabin.