Strategy for First Class Domestic Flights

rbslos18

Same as for coach....research, research, research.

Also recognize that airlines have learned to truly monetize the first class cabin, so you won't be finding "deals".  For example, on an upcoming DL flight, they will sell me an upgrade to F for a measly $540 for a two hour flight.

And for the record, DL is currently monetizing 80% of their F cabin systemwide.  No need for them to sell the seats cheaply.

• Like 1

Just like all air fare stuff. You have to do your research,  figure out any pattern in the pricing,  such as the fares drop 7 to 10 days after release. Or its cheaper to fly this route on weekends, as opposed to weekdays,  or vice versa.

There is no magic, no secrets, just research. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just like all air fare stuff. You have to do your research,  figure out any pattern in the pricing,  such as the fares drop 7 to 10 days after release. Or its cheaper to fly this route on weekends, as opposed to weekdays,  or vice versa.

There is no magic, no secrets, just research. 

Typically are fares lower when first released or closer to departure. One can’t do both!

4 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Typically are fares lower when first released or closer to departure. One can’t do both!

Not true at all. At least not in my experience, on the airlines I fly, and we haven't flown coach in many years. Typically they can be very high the first few days, then they taper off. Whether they drop close to departure depends on how sales have gone.

13 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Google Flights is good for showing typical fares and what’s a great deal.  Here I’ve input some random data.  What you want to focus on is the bar chart data at the bottom.

IMG_1037.thumb.jpeg.7323f257a44966aed8f2cd4f4935c650.jpeg

IMG_1038.thumb.jpeg.0de1a632442321d6de7a0ae2af48c8d8.jpeg

16 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

What is your strategy for finding deals on first class domestic flights?

My strategy?

Finding the price I'm willing to pay. Plunk down the old credit card and never look back.

Another tip, particularly appropriate for domestic...look at buying one way fares...sometimes the total for the round trip if booked as two one way flights is less than booking a roundtrip. 4 of my six "roundtrip" flights booked for this way are actually booked as two one ways.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:49 PM, Critically Cruising said:

For example, on an upcoming DL flight, they will sell me an upgrade to F for a measly $540 for a two hour flight.

Ha!  Delta has numerous times tried to sell me an F upgrade for upwards of $700-800 for the 45 min CHS-ATL leg.  Ridiculous!

• Haha 1